VMCAS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful_DVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about listing experiences on the VMCAS application.

1.) I helped out in a couple of my professors labs learning technical skills, and assisting with their research projects. I never helped write or publish a paper. Should I put this under research experience?

2.) I attended Farrier School. Which section should I put this under? It wasn't at a university, but was at an independent school.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, should we list individual shadowing experiences that only lasted a day or so?

1. That is still research experience. Just be specific in what you did.
2. I am not sure about this one

And I always have listed all my individual shadowing hours regardless of if it was 5 hours or 50 hours. :)

Hope this helps a little! Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a couple of questions about listing experiences on the VMCAS application.

1.) I helped out in a couple of my professors labs learning technical skills, and assisting with their research projects. I never helped write or publish a paper. Should I put this under research experience?

2.) I attended Farrier School. Which section should I put this under? It wasn't at a university, but was at an independent school.
1) Sounds like research experience to me

2) I would contact VMCAS to ask about that. Might be animal experience, but it would be worth it to ask.

Definitely list all your experiences, I had one that was 4 hours and listed it :)

Alright time for a new question. I will be using the explanation statement on VMCAS as I had to withdraw from a whole semester due to family issues. Does anyone know how to word this? I don't want it to sound like I am blaming my family for what happened. I just want adcoms to know that I withdrew in order to focus all my attention on family.

I don't think there's any consensus on how exactly explanation statements need to be done. Just write a brief explanation (not too detailed saying) saying something along the lines that you had to withdraw from the university for a semester for personal reasons or to attend to a family emergency and any follow-up to explain how this isn't indicative of your academic capabilities.

Has anyone noticed that the explanation statement has disappeared fairly recently? I have reached out to vmcas a few different ways and haven't gotten a response. Was really looking forward to using that.

Has anyone noticed that the explanation statement has disappeared fairly recently? I have reached out to vmcas a few different ways and haven't gotten a response. Was really looking forward to using that.
Apparently the Explanation Statement got moved to under Personal Information. VMCAS says that it is a glitch and is unintentional, but you should still be able to access it there.

Apparently the Explanation Statement got moved to under Personal Information. VMCAS says that it is a glitch and is unintentional, but you should still be able to access it there.

Hi, it's definitely there now. Thank you :)