VMCVM c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bovinelvr84

VMCVM c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Wanted to get this started for my IS :) Who all is applying to Virginia-Maryland?

Members don't see this ad.

I am! I am MD IS hoping for better luck this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Same! My file review was helpful- I definitely recommend it :)

The class curriculum will also be changing for c/o of 2020- sounds like it's going to be pretty sweet :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS here but this may be my top choice!

Reactions: 1 users
Same! My file review was helpful- I definitely recommend it :)

The class curriculum will also be changing for c/o of 2020- sounds like it's going to be pretty sweet :)
Yepp! I did the file review back in early May when we were first allowed!
Also, did they take the regional out of the name? I thought it used to be on their website but I no longer see it

Yepp! I did the file review back in early May when we were first allowed!
Also, did they take the regional out of the name? I thought it used to be on their website but I no longer see it

Awesome!!! :) I think they did take regional out of the name but I am not 100% on that

Awesome!!! :) I think they did take regional out of the name but I am not 100% on that

Yeah, they did. The thought process behind it, as far as I know, was that the use of the word "regional" made us sound small or something, like were weren't a "real" vet school. IDK. But now all my old sweatshirts are wrong and out of date :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
I just submitted my supplemental and when I reviewed my essays I didn't see any problems with them. I received a confirmation email that had a copy of everything I just turned it, and it was full of !, ? and /. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I figure I'm going to call tomorrow and make sure things went through correctly or not, but I figured I might as well check here and see if anyone else also had this occur.

Wow thank you for saying something! I submitted mine Sunday night and just went back to check my confirmation email and I have a few random ? and ! also.

Just got my reply from admissions:

Thank you for your email. It was just the system. Your essay transferred as you submitted it.

One less thing to worry about!

I submitted my supplemental today. Now for the long waiting game...

I am applying as well! Out of state from Arizona! Looking forward to (hopefully) getting an interview and seeing the campus!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying as well... it's the furthest from home I am applying, so I'm kind of damned if I do and damned if I don't. The husband and I own a home in the NE, so I am planning on just renting a room whereever I end up going.

It's also the furthest away from where I live that I'm applying, but I'd be coming all the way from the west coast

OOS applying from CA as well! Almost done with my essays! :) how long did everyone make their essays?

I had 3996 characters for the first essay and maybe 3k for the second. I got an error when submitting that my first essay was too long, so I had to edit it down a little bit.

This is probably a stupid question. If you put in your CAS ID and email into the supplemental, can you just look at the essay prompts, work on them on your own time, and then start the supplemental all over again once you have your essays ready? It clearly says you can't save, which isn't a problem, but I don't want to be locked out, I guess, if I leave the page without submitting. Earlier when I was reading the c/o 2019 thread, it sounded like most people were really doing it in one sitting without having taken time to write the essay and then go back.

Honestly, I am not sure. I did it all in one sitting which took forever. Then it said my session timed out when I went to submit so I logged back in and turned it in.

I wish they would have been a little clearer about that...

Mine timed out as well, but I just logged back in and submitted. It took me SOO long. I think I spent close to seven hours writing the two essays for their supplemental.

I went in many times before I ever submitted. Probably 10 times over 2 months or so. I don't think it ever was a problem.

I'm applying to VMCVM but I don't think I heard a reply/confirmation back yet and I've submitted my supplemental and VMCAS since mid-end of August! I wish they had a tracking page like cornell!! :dead:

I'm applying to VMCVM but I don't think I heard a reply/confirmation back yet and I've submitted my supplemental and VMCAS since mid-end of August! I wish they had a tracking page like cornell!! :dead:
They do have a page where you can check your status. I received an email shortly after I started my supplemental that told me how to set it up

They do have a page where you can check your status. I received an email shortly after I started my supplemental that told me how to set it up

Thank you for letting me know! I'm going to definitely check in with them and my SPAM folders

Thank you for letting me know! I'm going to definitely check in with them and my SPAM folders
Yeah I would definitely check your spam then ask. Last year myself as well as some other people I know had a lot of issues getting their emails. I got some but not all.

Yeah I would definitely check your spam then ask. Last year myself as well as some other people I know had a lot of issues getting their emails. I got some but not all.

I FOUND IT! Thanks! It got lost in my SPAM folder somehow but thanks, I would've missed out!

I FOUND IT! Thanks! It got lost in my SPAM folder somehow but thanks, I would've missed out!
Thanks for posting this, I never got any emails. I wouldn't have known to ask them.

Do you remember if you got it on the same day or a little later?

I submitted my supplemental early this morning but haven't gotten info for setting up the portal page yet. Nothing in my spam folder. I did get a confirmation email after I submitted, so I'm not worried about it having gone through. Just curious to know if it might take a little time to get that email.

Do you remember if you got it on the same day or a little later?

I submitted my supplemental early this morning but haven't gotten info for setting up the portal page yet. Nothing in my spam folder. I did get a confirmation email after I submitted, so I'm not worried about it having gone through. Just curious to know if it might take a little time to get that email.
I got it a LONG time after I submitted my supplemental. I think I turned it in a week before I submitted vmcas, and I got the email to track it a few days ago. The day after I last posted in this thread.

OOS here! Any clue on interview dates?
They haven't posted the dates for this year yet but last year it was January 17-18. My guess would be they are going to choose a weekend in late January again.

Last edited:
OOS here! Any clue on interview dates?
Last year, people started to be notified around the first week of December about interviews. Interviews were held the weekend of January 17th & 18th.

I am not sure how the new VMCAS due date will affect the interview process (if it will at all). Since applications were due in September this round and last round they were due in October, maybe the whole process will speed up by one month ;)

*wishful thinking*

They did all the interviews in one weekend?! Wow!

interviews are going to be the weekend of january 16/17 this year!

I just submitted my supplemental and when I reviewed my essays I didn't see any problems with them. I received a confirmation email that had a copy of everything I just turned it, and it was full of !, ? and /. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I figure I'm going to call tomorrow and make sure things went through correctly or not, but I figured I might as well check here and see if anyone else also had this occur.
Yup, I had the same thing. I shrugged it off though. I'm pretty sure you can tell that it's a programming error- not because you can't properly punctuate.

Greetings Fellow Future Vets: I'm a current 2019 DVM Candidate. Last year, I was on the same seat as you guys. I'm here to help as much as I can. I was OOS from Puerto Rico. The Admissions process and Interview process are both very complicated but fair. I also saw that our stats were posted here, but I recommend to you to NOT get discouraged!!! My class is an excellent example of a very DIVERSE backgrounds, GPA's, and GRE Results!!!!
:) If anyone OOS wants to see my stats, I'll be delighted to post them (I still have no idea how I got in >.<)

Anybody know what's up with the OOS admitted students' stats being so low? VMCVM and Purdue are the only two schools where I've noticed that the OOS kids tend to have significantly lower stats than those who are applying IS. Seems pretty odd...

I talked to a admissions person a few weeks ago at an info fair. In state applicants are ranked in a list and are offered admission based on their rank, but they can pick and choose OOS. So they try to select for diversity and other strong applicants, because they have more freedom.

Greetings Fellow Future Vets: I'm a current 2019 DVM Candidate. Last year, I was on the same seat as you guys. I'm here to help as much as I can. I was OOS from Puerto Rico. The Admissions process and Interview process are both very complicated but fair. I also saw that our stats were posted here, but I recommend to you to NOT get discouraged!!! My class is an excellent example of a very DIVERSE backgrounds, GPA's, and GRE Results!!!!
:) If anyone OOS wants to see my stats, I'll be delighted to post them (I still have no idea how I got in >.<)
I would love to see your stats if you don't mind sharing :) Thanks for the encouragement!

Anybody know what's up with the OOS admitted students' stats being so low? VMCVM and Purdue are the only two schools where I've noticed that the OOS kids tend to have significantly lower stats than those who are applying IS. Seems pretty odd...

VMCVM has been more focused on finding students who will be competent, well-rounded, and empathetic vets who can excel in an actual clinical setting and not just academically in a classroom. Like @Evyamiga <3 said, our class is pretty diverse compared to previous years, and this is in an effort to form more well-rounded vets. I personally applied to the school because I knew admissions would look at me at me more holistically than other programs, and I am grateful for that.

Hey! To answer your question, is mostly because at some there a lot of diversity in the OOS pool compared to IS. Our OOS pool was very diverse from really wide range of GPA's. Admissions take into consideration more factors than other schools (Holistic approach). Also at the end of the day, you can have a regular GPA like 3.20 and get in, if you do very well at the MMI's. Since everyone is in the same level(no ranking) once interview starts.

VMCVM has been more focused on finding students who will be competent, well-rounded, and empathetic vets who can excel in an actual clinical setting and not just academically in a classroom. Like @Evyamiga <3 said, our class is pretty diverse compared to previous years, and this is in an effort to form more well-rounded vets. I personally applied to the school because I knew admissions would look at me at me more holistically than other programs, and I am grateful for that.
Yay! My Classmate :)

I would love to see your stats if you don't mind sharing :) Thanks for the encouragement!
Here we go
OOS, First time applicant for Class 2019
3.51 GPA Overall, Science 3.25ish, Last Semester GPA 3.80 (this makes a really big difference!; it's not over in the beginning). I had 3C's and 1D on my transcript (I kid not). GRE Verbal 152, Quantitative 149 (I took it 3 times)
BS in Animals Science, Minor Biology from University of Puerto Rico -Mayaguez Campus
Animal Experience:
Around 800 Hrs In Clinical Setting
Around 1100 in Research
3 internships: Vetward Bound Program, Summer Research Program, Bridge to PhD in Neuroscience Program

I took a gap year, between applying, during that year I worked in Customer Service and shadow veterinarians in NYC (Around 100 Hours more)
Also during my undergrad worked to pay for my degree.

So my best advice, don't give up; specially if you get the interview. Do your best! I'm pretty sure that's what got me in.