VMCVM c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wait listed but I think its nice that they look at applications and people holistically, we aren't just numbers! So congrats to those who received interviews, both your stats and your individuality impressed!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So... Can anyone explain more about the wait list for interviews procedure?

I'm an IS applicant.

Should I think I have a chance at an interview or is it uncommon to be invited after wait list?

Also, do they email you up till the day before interviews, or will I have more time than that to get off from work, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I don't like about the "wait list everyone and don't tell them their rank" approach: I understand that they want backups in case people back out, and I understand that they don't want us calling every two seconds to find out our position on the wait list. But it would be nice to know if I'm even in the top 500, or top 250. Because if I'm not, I'd happily send an email to take me off the wait list, because otherwise it's just a waste of everyone's time to keep us all on the wait list when obviously they're not going to cycle through five hundred applicants.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm an IS applicant.

Should I think I have a chance at an interview or is it uncommon to be invited after wait list?

Also, do they email you up till the day before interviews, or will I have more time than that to get off from work, etc?

Just from what I know from reading last years posts I think they sent out an additional email a little bit after the first to IS applicants, for Virginia and Maryland separately, letting them know whether they are in the top 10 of their state's wait list. I also think once they have enough people confirmed for interviews, they send out an official rejection email.

All interview invites are to be confirmed by tomorrow by 8:00 am (EST I'm assuming). So I would think they'll be letting those on the waitlist know an update on their status after that?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how many are interviewed and how many will be the Class of 2020

Does anyone know how many are interviewed and how many will be the Class of 2020
Their website says they take 120 students (30 MD, 50 VA, 40 OOS - 6 for WV out of those) and last year they interviewed 310 total.

All interview invites are to be confirmed by tomorrow by 8:00 am (EST I'm assuming). So I would think they'll be letting those on the waitlist know an update on their status after that?
Is this on the portal?

I have a couple of Mmi questions do we have to speak for the full time ? Do u interact with the interviewer at all ? Like introduce yourself or anything like that ??? If your done early wil they ask follow up questions ???

I am OOS and still have not received an email. Is anyone else in this boat as well? I checked my junk mail but there isn't anything there either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am OOS and still have not received an email. Is anyone else in this boat as well? I checked my junk mail but there isn't anything there either.
A friend of mine is a WV resident and hasn't heard anything yet either!

Just declined my OOS interview. Hope someone from sdn gets it.
Good luck to everyone going forward. The MMI aren't as bad as they seem. Just relax and try to have fun with it.

Good luck to everyone going forward. The MMI aren't as bad as they seem. Just relax and try to have fun with it.
Thanks for letting us know. Good luck to you as well!

Got an invite yesterday, MD resident!! So excited :) Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know how many interviews they ended up sending? Like if they stick to a certain number every year or do they fluctuate depending on how many people apply?

Got my invite yesterday for January 16th, I'm OOS. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh shoot, how stringent were they about that 8 am response deadline? After 9 pm on friday, I gave up hope about hearing anything and hadn't checked my mail until 9 am today, and saw that I got an invite. I emailed to accept as soon as I realized what it was but I'm terrified I was too late.

Edited to add: whew! Confirmed for sunday morning interview! Now I can relax and enjoy the holdays.

Last edited:
Just curious, why did you decide to decline?

Does anyone know if the offices are open today? I sent an email to check about my status (still have not received an email saying wait listed or invited for an interview) and tried calling but I have not heard back. Did they close for the holidays? Would seem odd if they did since they were expecting people to be accepting/declining interview seats today.

Does anyone know if the offices are open today? I sent an email to check about my status (still have not received an email saying wait listed or invited for an interview) and tried calling but I have not heard back. Did they close for the holidays? Would seem odd if they did since they were expecting people to be accepting/declining interview seats today.

They are open today. I think they are open on regular business hours until Thursday.

Ahhhhhh just got off the OOS waitlist! It's happening, don't lose hope now! :soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
I have a couple of Mmi questions Do u interact with the interviewer at all ? Like introduce yourself or anything like that ??? If your done early wil they ask follow up questions ???

Hello Future DVM's

I decided to help out with some MMI questions, HOWEVER I'm unable to give details on questions since, a Code Of Non Disclosure was sign at the beginning, also I'm under the HONOR CODE of the VMCVM. (If you get in, you'll know ALL about it XD)

Do we have to speak for the full time?
- No you don't, this is more of an interactive interview. You are timed however, so be mindful of the your responses

Like introduce yourself or anything like that ?
- YES, PLEASE!!! Introduce yourself when you enter. They don't know you and some are future colleagues. Don't be rude. I know nerves are on high point during this (Believe me Voice temblor was the least of my problems), but try to remember and get into a routine of introducing yourself. Also, not a long into, your name is enough.

If your done early will they ask follow up questions ?
- Yes, they will. This interviews are made to keep questioning you. As long as you felt you answer their original statement question, you'll be good. (In one of mine, I finished early and the Doctor started talking about my career plans)
BUT, you will actually feel like you had NO TIME, it goes VERY quick.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how many interviews they ended up sending? Like if they stick to a certain number every year or do they fluctuate depending on how many people apply?

Received a second email this morning with more interview details. They are interviewing 336 applicants and accepting 120.

From the email:
OFFERS AFTER INTERVIEWS:

The class size is 120: 50 Virginia residents, 30 Maryland residents, and 40 out-of-state residents. If an individual declines our offer, we will go to the pertinent alternate list (Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, or at-large) and make offers in the ranked order listed. If you are an alternate and will be going on spring break or just out of town, leave us the number where you can be reached so we can contact you if you are the next individual to be selected.

They Fluctuate depending on the amount of of applicants. Last year, we were the second largest pool of applicants for all the Vet Schools. So don't lose faith yet :)

Reactions: 1 user

I'm an IS applicant.

From experience from last year IS, one of my classmates. They could email up to around 3 days before the interviews. Sadly, If people decide not to come, on interview day and say nothing. They will follow with the interview wait listed list (people who actually interview)

The class size is 120: 50 Virginia residents, 30 Maryland residents, and 40 out-of-state residents. If an individual declines our offer, we will go to the pertinent alternate list (Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, or at-large) and make offers in the ranked order listed. If you are an alternate and will be going on spring break or just out of town, leave us the number where you can be reached so we can contact you if you are the next individual to be selected.

Holy jeebus.

My class was 50 VA residents, 30 MD, and 10 OOS.

Guess they are really gunning for that OOS tuition money like most other schools are now.

Congratulations to everyone who received interviews! Hopefully we get a few more people off the wait list!

I've left messages. I am sure they are being flooded with calls and emails. they will probably call or email back within the next few days

Did IS have to reply by 8am as well?

Has your friend still not heard anything? I am still waiting wondering why I haven't received a single email. :(
She hasn't heard anything and has tried calling and emailing multiple peoples/times today and has heard nothing! I wonder what the hold up is on both of yours!

Did your portal have all items checked off under the application checklist? The only thing that I could think of that would cause you to not receive an email may be if you were not actually qualified? This could be a VMCAS error. Because I know some people who were not qualified didn't receive emails until much later.

In any case, congrats to interviewees! If anyone need a free couch to crash on, or a ride from the airport, totally hit me up. It's seriously no problem and I'd be happy to show people around.

Just declined my OOS seat. Good luck to you all!

Do you happen to know the office number that is open? I tried email and calling the office but I have not gotten a response all day.

Well, the hospital as a whole is open and running like normal. The number I will give you is strictly to the admissions office. It is (540) 231-4699. While there are people at the front desk of the small animal hospital and large animal, they wouldn't be able to answer your questions....which is why I didn't provide a different number. Ms. Massie is probably receiving high volume of calls and emails.

I hope this helps!! :)

What do you suggest for attire for the dinner the night before interview

Well, the hospital as a whole is open and running like normal. The number I will give you is strictly to the admissions office. It is (540) 231-4699. While there are people at the front desk of the small animal hospital and large animal, they wouldn't be able to answer your questions....which is why I didn't provide a different number. Ms. Massie is probably receiving high volume of calls and emails.

I hope this helps!! :)
My friend finally got through to someone and they said Ms. Massie is out all week and that the woman who answered didn't have access to applications:arghh:

My friend finally got through to someone and they said Ms. Massie is out all week and that the woman who answered didn't have access to applications:arghh:

I wonder what that means for people waiting to be called on the alternate list???

What do you suggest for attire for the dinner the night before interview

large.gif

Reactions: 12 users