VMCVM c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know whether they are calling or emailing those who get off the wait list? Still holding on to hope!
She said she will be emailing first, and if the individual does not respond by later the same day, she will be calling. **fingers crossed** :]

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up Hope!!! I haven't heard from them neither last time was the email saying that I was in the waiting list. I emailed them and just called Left a message ;/ to see what I can do or any information regarding my stand..:(:nod:

You are right...I think this process is just starting to frazzle my nerves lol. That and I'm pretty sure I may be driving my boyfriend insane...I may be the most impatient person in the world hahaha

So who here is also interviewing on Sunday?

Reactions: 3 users
I have a Sunday interview!

Question, for the interview. Will there be questions based on veterinary knowledge? Or would it just be sort of broad scenario based prompts? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I have to start figuring out financial aid and whatnot.
Is anyone familiar with how much the living expenses are in Blacksburg? And how difficult it is to establish residency? Thanks you in advance

Also, I have to start figuring out financial aid and whatnot.
Is anyone familiar with how much the living expenses are in Blacksburg? And how difficult it is to establish residency? Thanks you in advance
If you are accepted as an OOS student, you cannot later claim residency and receive in state tuition. I had to sign something stating that I will be an at-large student and be responsible for OOS tuition all 4 years. On the plus side, living expenses are low and you could easily find a place for $500 or less (with a roommate).

If you are accepted as an OOS student, you cannot later claim residency and receive in state tuition. I had to sign something stating that I will be an at-large student and be responsible for OOS tuition all 4 years. On the plus side, living expenses are low and you could easily find a place for $500 or less (with a roommate).
Makes sense. Thank you for your response!

I have a Sunday interview!

Question, for the interview. Will there be questions based on veterinary knowledge? Or would it just be sort of broad scenario based prompts? Thanks!

I called the school a few weeks ago and tried to get more information on the format. All I got was that in the past they had been general knowledge with no in depth veterinary information tested. I guess we'll see!

(And then never be able to talk about it, 'cause honor code >.>)

So did anyone on the waitlist hear anything today?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think the interview questions will be like?

I didn't do MMI format when I interviewed way back when, but the best advice I have for vet school interviews in general is that remember their goal - it isn't necessarily to test your knowledge to its full extent, but to test your ability to think on your feet, communicate clearly, and most importantly, stay calm and stick by your answers. There may be some questions designed specifically to make you nervous, defensive, or uncomfortable - they aren't doing it to be mean, they are doing it in order to test out how you might respond in stressful situations, whether they be related to dealing with difficult clients, how to defend your position when questioned, etc. It's ok if you can't answer everything. Don't cry and fuss and freak out. Admit it, be calm, cool, and collected and move on. Don't guess what the "right" answer is or that answer they "want" - give *your* answer and stick by it. I would argue that staying pleasant and professional is more important than exactly which answer you give to each question or scenario.

Well I'm packing my car to head down to Blacksburg now...hope to see some of you at the dinner tonight!

Are their cabs at the airport is that the best way to get from the airport to the hotel ??

I called, left a message, I've emailed twice... I am on the IS wait list but I have no idea if I have an interview this weekend. It's driving me insane. I live about 5 hours away, so I really need to know something.

So for the dinner's "business attire", should I be wearing khakis, a button up, and a tie, or are we talking full suits?

Is anyone else staying at the Inn tonight where the dinner is? Just checked in and it's beautiful! (even though it's so rainy)

Is anyone else staying at the Inn tonight where the dinner is? Just checked in and it's beautiful! (even though it's so rainy)

I am! Just checked in as well. But I'm on the first floor so I have a view of...a hill of dirt xP

I called, left a message, I've emailed twice... I am on the IS wait list but I have no idea if I have an interview this weekend. It's driving me insane. I live about 5 hours away, so I really need to know something.
If you didn't hear from Joyce yesterday by 3pm you did not and will not be removed from the waitlist, I spoke with her earlier this week. I know it is rough but don't give up! Apply again next year!

If you didn't hear from Joyce yesterday by 3pm you did not and will not be removed from the waitlist, I spoke with her earlier this week. I know it is rough but don't give up! Apply again next year!

So if we didn't hear back that's a rejection correct?

My interview is sunday but I checked in today. I'm down the road at the Holiday Inn
Woop woop, me too! All about that free breakfast. My interview is Saturday so I check out tomorrow. Good luck with yours!

So if we didn't hear back that's a rejection correct?
Look at it this way: admissions is saying you are not good enough yet. Keyword YET. You are not in the same pool as the people who were outright rejected. Those of us on the wait-list may have a few blemishes that can be fixed but people were rejected this year. I look at it like never getting off the waitlist so this year isn't my year or anyone else's who was on the wait list. You can look at it as a rejection because space wasn't available. But either way let's move on to the next cycle the next opportunity. Life is about perspective and not getting in, is not the end of the world unless you allow yourself to view it that way. So I want to extend a huge welcome to all of those that made it to interviews this year, and for the rest of us, maybe we will meet next year. ;)

im just upset how disorganized they are:/ they could have sent us an email. i cant believe they are making us wait for who knows how long.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I finally got a call back saying I did not get an interview and she acted like I should know that. Well, maybe next year.

Can we bring friends/ family to the dinner? Or is it just for the students? Thanks

Hey guys, just double checking....all we needed to do to verify our interview/dinner was to confirm the interview via the link provided in the invitation email, RSVP to the dinner and fill out the confidentiality agreement right? I was looking at the interview confirmation email and I noticed there are 3 attachments at the bottom. I cannot open them on any browser. Did anyone else see this? If you did the above 3 things you should be good right?
I did precisely what you just described and am about to check in for my interview, so I'd say that you're good to go! No clue about those other attachments.

Interview was, surprisingly, very low stress and kind of fun!

Last edited:
Interview was, surprisingly, very low stress and kind of fun! It was just going through a series of common sense talking points, where the tacit rule of thumb was simply to be polite, thoughtful, and reasonable (overall). Hope everyone else had a good experience too!

Yeah, I was surprised at how low stress it was. The animals definitely helped though.

Do you think that I could have been rated lower if I sounded nervous while talking even if I felt like I had great things to say? I get so nervous for this type of thing, and know that in a few of the rooms they could tell. I wonder if that plays a big role in our overall score

Do you think that I could have been rated lower if I sounded nervous while talking even if I felt like I had great things to say? I get so nervous for this type of thing, and know that in a few of the rooms they could tell. I wonder if that plays a big role in our overall score
I bet you did better than you think you did! They definitely expect people to be nervous but if you were still able to give good answers I don't think they'd hold it against you. When I interviewed at Tennessee they told us every year a couple people cry during the interview (like when talking about pets who died and inspired a pursuit of medicine) and that it's not necessarily a ding against you especially if you recover from it and handle it with grace.

I would think that an appropriate degree of nervousness is actually looked on as good because it shows that you care. I would rather a student seem nervous and really try their best than someone who waltzes in acting like they know everything.

And now.... we wait. Again.

Reactions: 10 users