Vmrcm c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livefor32

VMRCVM 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone finished their VMRCVM supplemental application?

Members don't see this ad.

i haven't started it yet, mainly because you have to finish it in one sitting and i haven't found time to do that yet...does anyone know what the supplemental consists of?

Its very simple, just filling in personal information and an essay on why you are applying to VMRCVM. However, this essay is limited to 300 characters so its more like two sentences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied 2 years ago and their supplemental was much more intense! You had to outline all your vet/animal/biomed experience again, but instead of the 450 characters the VMCAS gives you, you had 2000 characters per experience. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong! :)

hey,
do any of you in-staters see your residency as confirmed?
it says that they received my in-state application but it hasn't been confirmed yet... i'm starting to worry....

i forgot to mention that i'm applying as "in-state" through maryland

hey,
do any of you in-staters see your residency as confirmed?
it says that they received my in-state application but it hasn't been confirmed yet... i'm starting to worry....

I applied as in-state (VA) and mine has also been received but not confirmed.... I have to e-mail Joyce because it says it is still waiting for my transcript (?!) so I'll ask about the residency thing, too.

I know they interview in February... when do we start hearing from them about interview invitations? I can't find that info anywhere...

Hey! I am applying as a VA resident and my residency has been confirmed. I sent it in pretty early though so I would think they are probably working on them. Ms. Massie is very nice so I would recommend calling her to double check. Good luck everyone!

I applied as in-state (VA) and mine has also been received but not confirmed.... I have to e-mail Joyce because it says it is still waiting for my transcript (?!) so I'll ask about the residency thing, too.

I know they interview in February... when do we start hearing from them about interview invitations? I can't find that info anywhere...

According to last years interview invite thread - they sent invites via email on December 21 for interviews at the end if January. So just just about 6 weeks and we may have some info......

According to last years interview invite thread - they sent invites via email on December 21 for interviews at the end if January. So just just about 6 weeks and we may have some info......

Just as a heads up I went down for a tour a few weeks ago and was told that interviews will not be sent out till mid-later January this year with interviews early in march :/

Just as a heads up I went down for a tour a few weeks ago and was told that interviews will not be sent out till mid-later January this year with interviews early in march :/

Good to know - thanks for sharing the intel!

Yay! I just saw that there is finally a VMRCVM thread! I must have missed this one somehow. I'm a MD student who currently goes to Tech. Fingers crossed I'll get to stay here, I love it.

Goodluck guys! Counting down the days in interview invites come out. 3 more months... yuck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone! Keep your eyes open for emails next spring about places to live :)

(My two 4th-year roommates are leaving our big house with yard right off downtown Bburg (1 mile from school) with their 3 dogs and cat, and I'll need 2 more folks (and more pets!) to fill the space and keep my dog company. The goal is to keep the house for vet students as it has been for the past 12-15 years.)

Last edited:
Class of 2017 hopeful here....eagerly watching this thread & everyone's journey. Good luck to everyone!

Am I imagining this or did my Application Status change to "Under Review" today... ?
I am probably just mis-remembering... I don't know what it would have said before anyway.
My Maryland residency is still not confirmed.... this makes me very nervous.

Am I imagining this or did my Application Status change to "Under Review" today... ?
I am probably just mis-remembering... I don't know what it would have said before anyway.

I just checked my status and it doesn't say anything about being under review, however my Maryland residency hasn't been confirmed either. There's a check saying that they received my form, but not that it's confirmed. Joyce assured me that as long as you submitted your application on time, she would hunt you down if you were missing anything. Good luck :laugh:

I just checked my status and it doesn't say anything about being under review, however my Maryland residency hasn't been confirmed either. There's a check saying that they received my form, but not that it's confirmed. Joyce assured me that as long as you submitted your application on time, she would hunt you down if you were missing anything. Good luck :laugh:

They may wait to switch it to "under review" until you have everything checked off. I know mine switched about a month ago to under review after they confirmed my residency. But I have to admit I literally walked into the admissions office at VMRCVM and handed them my residency form to assure it got there. I know they're still swamped so just because it isn't checked off doesn't mean they don't have it. It may still be in the stack. I'd wait to tad longer and if it's still not confirmed and you mailed it over 3 weeks ago I'd shoot Joyce an email to be safe. Goodluck everyone!!! :luck:

hey,
approx 3 weeks ago she said she had my form... that's why i'm worried that my residency is in question or something... otherwise, i guess she is just still super busy from all the other app stuff
but if my residency IS in question.... i would want to work on it, you know?

They may wait to switch it to "under review" until you have everything checked off. I know mine switched about a month ago to under review after they confirmed my residency. But I have to admit I literally walked into the admissions office at VMRCVM and handed them my residency form to assure it got there. I know they're still swamped so just because it isn't checked off doesn't mean they don't have it. It may still be in the stack. I'd wait to tad longer and if it's still not confirmed and you mailed it over 3 weeks ago I'd shoot Joyce an email to be safe. Goodluck everyone!!! :luck:

When your instate residency is confirmed, is there a check next to it? I spoke with Joyce a few months ago (before Oct.) and she told me they received my residency form, so I know they have it. I think I'll call on Monday to just double check!!

hey,
approx 3 weeks ago she said she had my form... that's why i'm worried that my residency is in question or something... otherwise, i guess she is just still super busy from all the other app stuff
but if my residency IS in question.... i would want to work on it, you know?

I completely understand that. I had that panicked feeling in my stomach about it until mine got confirmed as well. I have a feeling it's just a backup of imputing them to the computer system not that they actually didn't confirm it.

When your instate residency is confirmed, is there a check next to it? I spoke with Joyce a few months ago (before Oct.) and she told me they received my residency form, so I know they have it. I think I'll call on Monday to just double check!!

Mine does have a check next to it but it took almost 3 weeks and I hand gave it to them. If you're concerned calling is always your best bet. It's an easy way to resolve worries quickly! Joyce is awesome and I'm sure she'll figure it out for you. I wish I could help more! Goodluck guys hopefully it'll all be fixed soon.

Mine does have a check next to it but it took almost 3 weeks and I hand gave it to them. If you're concerned calling is always your best bet. It's an easy way to resolve worries quickly! Joyce is awesome and I'm sure she'll figure it out for you. I wish I could help more! Goodluck guys hopefully it'll all be fixed soon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help! I think I'll definitely call on Monday just to make sure. Joyce is really nice, so I'm sure she'll help me out! I do have this name change issue I'm trying to work out, so that may be contributing to the delay (I got married, but since I was a tech student, the registrar still has me in the computer under my maiden name...I had to get documents notarized so I can have the name changed in the system since my app/GRE scores are in one name and my transcripts are in another).

Now, only a couple of more months of waiting!! :(

On their website, it says notifications of interviews are in February, interviews are March 2nd-3rd, and acceptance letters will be sent out in mid-March. It's going to be a long wait, but at least those invited for interviews don't have to wait long after interviews for an acceptance letter if accepted.

hi all,
so, once all of your "Received" boxes were checked off (residency included), what "Application Status" was/is listed?
also, is any GPA information or anything else available other than the basic application summary?

hi all,
so, once all of your "Received" boxes were checked off (residency included), what "Application Status" was/is listed?
also, is any GPA information or anything else available other than the basic application summary?

I just spoke with Joyce and she said she was still reviewing some applicant's IS status. She pulled up my file, and while I was on the phone, updated my IS residency to confirmed. Once I looked at it after it had been confirmed, my status said under review. She also said that interview invitations would be sent out the second or third week in January :laugh:

Ugh - January seems SOOOO far away.....

i hope everyone on virginia tech's campus, vet school included, is okay... so frightening...

i hope everyone on virginia tech's campus, vet school included, is okay... so frightening...

Thanks! It's was a weird day for sure. Everything is calmed down now and campus is extremely peaceful this evening. They even moved our exams back a day so everyone has an additional day to study. Keep the officer who passed away today and their family in your thoughts and prayers please! It's always tragic to lose a family member, especially right before the holidays :(

I just spoke with Joyce and she said she was still reviewing some applicant's IS status. She pulled up my file, and while I was on the phone, updated my IS residency to confirmed. Once I looked at it after it had been confirmed, my status said under review. She also said that interview invitations would be sent out the second or third week in January :laugh:

Random question... do you know if interview invites are sent out via snail mail or email? I was just thinking about the fact I may still be home for winter break if they snail mail them, it would stink to have to wait til I got back to school to find out.

Random question... do you know if interview invites are sent out via snail mail or email? I was just thinking about the fact I may still be home for winter break if they snail mail them, it would stink to have to wait til I got back to school to find out.

I applied 2 years ago and I received my invite through email. I can't imagine they would change it to snail mail. Also, they didn't have the application status page when I applied last, so it may be updated on there as well!

Hi - I found out last year December 21st. About the interview invite that is. Definitely made it a happy Solstice for me - once I picked my jaw up off the floor!
Though, since they are expanding the incoming class size, I guess there's more applications to go through, which may be why it's later. My interview was January 29th this year.
I had heard, though I don't know if it's true or not, that this year they'd leveled the field for in-staters and out-of-staters. Once you got an interview, you were ranked by that. The application got you the interview, but it is the interview that will determine it. I did the MMI format, and I preferred it to the standard interview format. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! :)

Hi - I found out last year December 21st. About the interview invite that is. Definitely made it a happy Solstice for me - once I picked my jaw up off the floor!
Though, since they are expanding the incoming class size, I guess there's more applications to go through, which may be why it's later. My interview was January 29th this year.
I had heard, though I don't know if it's true or not, that this year they'd leveled the field for in-staters and out-of-staters. Once you got an interview, you were ranked by that. The application got you the interview, but it is the interview that will determine it. I did the MMI format, and I preferred it to the standard interview format. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! :)

Was Dec 21st within the timeline that they gave you, or was it earlier? What you heard regarding the interviews is true (or at least what I was told by the school). They're explanation was that if you've made it to the interview, you've proven yourself academically. Therefore, the interview is about your problem solving skills (and more) and will be the only factor in determining whether you are granted acceptance or not. It would be really nice to find out about interviews before the new year, but since Joyce said mid-Jan., I'm not holding my breath!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "leveling the field," because they are still reserving 50 seats for VA residents and 30 seats for MD residents according to this page: http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/acad/dvm/req.asp
However, now OOSers have a much better chance of getting in than in previous years as all the new seats are for "at-large" applicants.

I'm not sure what you mean by "leveling the field," because they are still reserving 50 seats for VA residents and 30 seats for MD residents according to this page: http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/acad/dvm/req.asp
However, now OOSers have a much better chance of getting in than in previous years as all the new seats are for "at-large" applicants.

And they are reserving 6 seats for WV residents new for this year according to this page: http://www.aavmc.org/additional-pages/WV_Resident_Contract.aspx

Anyone know if/how/when we're supposed to send the school our final grades from this semester? I may just call and ask, but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure?

email (i think.. a fax would probably be ok too?) an unofficial transcript within 10 days of the end of the semester
and then mail an official transcript ASAP

Anyone know if/how/when we're supposed to send the school our final grades from this semester? I may just call and ask, but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure?

email (i think.. a fax would probably be ok too?) an unofficial transcript within 10 days of the end of the semester
and then mail an official transcript ASAP

I e-mailed my unofficial grades to the DVM admissions e-mail and ordered an official transcript, but they are out of office for now. I saw the 10-day time limit listed on their website, so I sent mine out as soon as I could.

Hmm...do you guys think it's ok if the email ends up being a couple days late? I have my unofficial transcript for my on-campus classes, but my online anthro class doesn't end til tomorrow...I was planning on emailing them once those grades were up.

Maybe I'll email the transcripts separate, then mail the official transcripts together? My on-campus classes ended on the 14th.

Hmm...do you guys think it's ok if the email ends up being a couple days late? I have my unofficial transcript for my on-campus classes, but my online anthro class doesn't end til tomorrow...I was planning on emailing them once those grades were up.

Maybe I'll email the transcripts separate, then mail the official transcripts together? My on-campus classes ended on the 14th.
I would say to e-mail them to ask, but they are out of office and may not get back to you. I don't think it would hurt to e-mail them your unofficial grades before and after you get the grades for your online class. If it were me, I would mail out my official transcript after all my grades were in. Plus, some universities are already closed and may not be sending out transcripts until after Christmas. I think today was the last day my university would mail them.

Hi everyone! I just found this site today. I am waiting and worrying just like the rest, but I'm 38 years old, married with a 10 year old daughter. Any other atypical applicants this year?

I'm 38 as well but not applying until next year. Good luck!

Hi everyone! I just found this site today. I am waiting and worrying just like the rest, but I'm 38 years old, married with a 10 year old daughter. Any other atypical applicants this year?

I'm 26 (27 at the start of school) and married...that's sort of atypical! Kudos to you for never giving up!! :)

I'm 26 (27 at the start of school) and married...that's sort of atypical! Kudos to you for never giving up!! :)
Also, atypical here! I am 26, married, and have a kid on the way, due in April. This is my second year applying. Good luck to everyone and Happy Holidays!

My residency status has not been confirmed and I'm starting to panic thinking that maybe my application was such a dud that they've decided to just skip that step. Is anyone else still not confirmed in state? I've lived in VA for 20 years now and owned a house for 12 of those years. Oh geez. Where's a paper bag to breathe into when you need one? ;-)

call Joyce, she's super nice and very helpful... :)
also if you claim residency, I think you're judged that way... even if residency isn't confirmed yet.. like an 'innocent-until-proven-guilty' kind of thing :)

Just panicking a little because Joyce is out of the office until January 2. I guess I'll have to panic a little longer.

LaylaPhone and Livefor32, what have you been doing since your undergrad graduation? Are you in state?