Vmrcm c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Omg you guys.

I got the e-mail today about the White Coat Ceremony and I almost burst into tears at work (that's only slightly an exaggeration).

It's happening! :love::love::love:

I know, right! Seeing the whole orientation schedule makes it so real, like I'M going to be doing that stuff very soon. Including the ropes course, boo :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Great Idea!! :love:

I see this initiative as crucial to the future of human health care and to sustaining a healthy Earth for us to live on. I'm glad this conversation is happening and I would love to see some more information on how to get involved. So, yeah I'm all for getting some speakers on campus. I'm already being tempted away from my desire to do mixed practice by VMR's public/corporate track....

The One Health Initiative is one of my passions. I absolutely love it. I wrote my personal statement focusing on it and it's a HUGE part of why I want to get involved in veterinary medicine. I'm hoping to do public/cooporate, pick up an MPH, and pursue something involved with the ideals of the one health initiative. I'd totally be interested in helping pursue a club or getting speakers to come talk to us about it. Great idea!

I'm signed up for both electives this semester... I'm viewing it as a warm-up for starting the MPH coursework in the spring (and my only opportunity to take electives for "fun" if I plan on finishing the combined program in a reasonable amount of time).

I'm signed up for both too. They sound interesting! I'm a little nervous about over-doing it first semester. But, learning is the reason we go to school right? I figured I'd take advantage of it. Plus, I heard from previous students that both of these electives are fairly easy and fun.

Did anyone else sign up for the Big/Lil program? If so, have you heard from your Big?

I love my Big! She sounds great. I responded to her email and am waiting for her response back. Such a good idea for a program.

When are you all heading down to Blacksburg? I was thinking about going the 15th to get settled before the undergrads roll into town. Anyone interested in meeting up and grabbing food or coffee before orientation starts? :)

Oh and does anyone know where we can find a list of our needed textbooks? I was gonna try to order them or buy them from a friend before school starts, but I wasn't sure where to find them.

When are you all heading down to Blacksburg? I was thinking about going the 15th to get settled before the undergrads roll into town. Anyone interested in meeting up and grabbing food or coffee before orientation starts? :)

I'll be in Blacksburg around Aug 1st. PM me when you get to town, I'd love to meet up for lunch :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not exactly sure when I will get there. I have to drive to Richmond from Louisville stay there a few days then drive to BBurg. Maybe around the 15th as well. I would def like to hang out when we get there!!

I'm hoping to do public/cooporate, pick up an MPH, and pursue something involved with the ideals of the one health initiative. I'd totally be interested in helping pursue a club or getting speakers to come talk to us about it. Great idea!

So basically we're the same person. ;)

I'll prolly be down the weekend before the 20th, maybe a tad earlier. I'd love to hang out. Food is my weakness. :D

Oh and does anyone know where we can find a list of our needed textbooks? I was gonna try to order them or buy them from a friend before school starts, but I wasn't sure where to find them.

As far as I know, the syllabi on the VMRCVM intranet are the only places that list the textbooks, and I think they're a bit outdated. I picked up a couple of them already because the prices were fabulous - but they may end up being an edition behind (which is fine by me, because between the two of them I spent $15 and I'm totally ok with that :laugh: ).

Montgomery County PSA wants a $240 deposit and a $25 transfer fee for water and sewage service for new customers :mad: They don't even check your credit, just huge fee for everyone. Boo.
Disclaimer, this doesn't apply if you can get service through the city, only if you need service outside Blacksburg proper.

We all get an email from the administration about a month before school starts with a listing of the required texts. Looking at my old email archive, I found my textbook list for 1st semester was sent out around July 30th (2010).

I have learned my lesson about getting the wrong addition in physics. I was always confused about what was going on because the page numbers were not the same. I want to make sure I have the right addition this time.

So it looks like our balance for the first semester has been posted (no one freak; they didn't send out an e-mail, I just happened to see it on my.vt.edu when I was working on other stuff the other day ;) ).

Anyone know when our aid is supposed to get to us? I'd really like not to have that bill hanging over my head. =)

In other news! I got my brand new spankin' freaking gorgeous phone and the hubby and I are figuring out setting up utilities in our apartment and I get married in a month and everything is becoming very, very real and I couldn't be more excited to meet you all! :love::love:

OH a wedding Congratz!!! Glad you mentioned the bill, I wouldn't have noticed right away.

Anyone know when our aid is supposed to get to us? I'd really like not to have that bill hanging over my head. =)

If you've got direct deposit, we usually get our money the thursday before classes start.

Hey all! I just finally got my "ish" together this summer and wanted to extend my congratulations to everyone who was accepted to VMRCVM for this fall :) We'll be seeing you all in just 5 short weeks (EEK!). Hope you all have a great summer!

And feel free to ask any questions...I'll be happy to try and answer! FWIW, I'm about to start 3rd year this fall and am still totally freaking out over being in vet school, haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! I just finally got my "ish" together this summer and wanted to extend my congratulations to everyone who was accepted to VMRCVM for this fall :) We'll be seeing you all in just 5 short weeks (EEK!). Hope you all have a great summer!

And feel free to ask any questions...I'll be happy to try and answer! FWIW, I'm about to start 3rd year this fall and am still totally freaking out over being in vet school, haha!

Thanksss =) I'm excited to be there!

Tried plugging the class schedule into my google calendar today - think I'm just gonna wait for the school to put it up on the VT Calendar site. It's a little more ridiculous than I was expecting. :laugh:

I have to find it. Someone took screen shots of it and put it up on the facebook page. :cool:

The VT email hates me! It doesn't show I have attachments.

The VT email hates me! It doesn't show I have attachments.

If you're using webmail, there should be a link at the top of the email that's highlighted and says "Would you like to see this in another window?" or something to that effect. Click on that. It'll pull the email up in another window and you should see the links to the schedule at the bottom of the email.

Webmail kind of sucks like that. However, we should be switching over to gmail this year!

Webmail kind of sucks like that. However, we should be switching over to gmail this year!

http://start.google.vt.edu/

=)

Also - even if you're opening your e-mail in a mail client (like Outlook), you have to scroll down to the very bottom of the e-mail, and there's a text link to open the attachments. It's awkward. I've only seen vt e-mail do this with e-mails from the vet school, I dunno why it decided to suddenly work that way.

Does anyone know how to get electronic copies of our myplan test results? I only see a print option, not a save to computer option. I'm not very tech savvy, obviously....:rolleyes:

yeah I need to figure out how to send it. The directions I got didn't even mention sending them in.

I wonder what I am suppose to do during the 2 hours or hour that there is Descriptive Embryo since I am not taking that. A three hour or 2 hour lunch break a few days would be nice.

I just saved the print out copy as a .html file and then uploaded that. It messes up the formatting (there are no images or anything) but I couldn't see any other way to do it, soooo :shrug: =)

Depending on your browser (fyi, I use chrome for windows 7), if you use the option in the browser menu to print the webpage, you should get a dropdown menu of printing options (i.e. Which printer). One of those options should say something similar to "save as .pdf", and that is likely the best choice to upload as all the formatting is preserved.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who spent yesterday doing absolutely nothing and forgot to get his tuberculin injection site evaluated on the third day...gah!

http://start.google.vt.edu/

=)

Also - even if you're opening your e-mail in a mail client (like Outlook), you have to scroll down to the very bottom of the e-mail, and there's a text link to open the attachments. It's awkward. I've only seen vt e-mail do this with e-mails from the vet school, I dunno why it decided to suddenly work that way.

Most of the attachments are sent via scholar, which is why there's a link and not an actual attachment. So you click, and it sends you back to scholar where you sign in and then it downloads the attachment. Go fig.

One of my coworkers started switching over to the new vt gmail system, and had a really hard time with it. She finally went to Tech support to get help and it turned out a bunk of the links weren't working properly, and the info wasn't updated. Soooo I'm just waiting a little longer to switch over!

I wonder what I am suppose to do during the 2 hours or hour that there is Descriptive Embryo since I am not taking that. A three hour or 2 hour lunch break a few days would be nice.

Sleep. Eat. Study. Run away from the school. All are viable options.

Usually if it was between classes we'd sit in the lounge or go to the commons to hang out, etc. If it was before or after lunch? Generally we'd just leave and come back before the next class!

Sounds good to me!! :D:cool::love: Moving to Virginia this coming Sunday....to Richmond for a few days to get organized then on to BBurg ASAP.

I just saved the print out copy as a .html file and then uploaded that. It messes up the formatting (there are no images or anything) but I couldn't see any other way to do it, soooo :shrug: =)
Thanks, that is what I ended up doing also.

Depending on your browser (fyi, I use chrome for windows 7), if you use the option in the browser menu to print the webpage, you should get a dropdown menu of printing options (i.e. Which printer). One of those options should say something similar to "save as .pdf", and that is likely the best choice to upload as all the formatting is preserved.
I use Firefox so this wasn't an option but thanks for the feedback.

Sorry to just be thanking y'all, but I'm moving from SC to VA this week! So I've been a little busy...;)

Audrey-I'll be in Blacksburg Thursday-PM me when you get to town! I'm soo excited!!!! Blacksburg here I come:love:

Sorry to just be thanking y'all, but I'm moving from SC to VA this week! So I've been a little busy...;)

Audrey-I'll be in Blacksburg Thursday-PM me when you get to town! I'm soo excited!!!! Blacksburg here I come:love:

Yayayayayay!! I hope you love Blacksburg as much as I do. :love::love:

I'll be down the weekend of the 18th (I know, last second) and hubby is going back to DC to pull some work stuff together, so somebody's gonna have to help me break in the new apartment. ;)

AHH I'm so excited.

Yayayayayay!! I hope you love Blacksburg as much as I do. :love::love:

I'll be down the weekend of the 18th (I know, last second) and hubby is going back to DC to pull some work stuff together, so somebody's gonna have to help me break in the new apartment. ;)

AHH I'm so excited.

If this is an invitation, I'm in :)
If not, I'm embarrassed :oops:

I should be there by then as well...:cool::DI will bring the Rum!!

I'm in Blacksburg! So far we love it here, love our place, found a bar with a great beer selection and good food :)

Now hopefully my husband can find a job:xf:

I'm in Blacksburg! So far we love it here, love our place, found a bar with a great beer selection and good food :)

AHH I'm exploding with happiness for you. :love::love:

What bar? =D

What field does hubby work in? I graduated from the business school down there so I may be able to drudge up some network connections for him. :laugh:

AHH I'm exploding with happiness for you. :love::love:

What bar? =D

What field does hubby work in? I graduated from the business school down there so I may be able to drudge up some network connections for him. :laugh:
I can't wait to meet you hopeful, you seem awesome :D

We went to 622 North, but we were in the bar part with the pool tables. I just looked at their website and saw that they also have a wine bar managed by a sommelier. Now I'm hooked.

My husband is a carpenter, specializing in finish work and historical renovation. He can do framing and the like, just doesn't prefer to. He does both residential and commercial. We have some connections up here from people he worked with in SC, so we'll see if those pan out. In the construction industry, much like in the south, is can be about who you know, you know...;)

Hey y'all, is anyone in town yet? The Lyric Theater downtown is having a free showing of Citizen Kane on Wednesday at 3 pm if anyone is interested. I've never seen it but since it's such a classic I feel like I should, plus it'll be fun to watch an old movie in a theater. I'm going regardless, I have no problem doing lunch and a movie alone (hubby will be at work-cuz he got a job already :)) but if anyone wants to meet up let me know...

Daw', would have gone with ya but I don't get in to town 'til Saturday.

Can't WAIT to be back home though <3<3

What're you all up to tonight?! Anyone wanna meet up? I hope everyone is getting settled and looking forward to next week. Can't wait to meet you!

Well I finally got net yesterday!! I think people are trying to go out tonight.

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! Orientation starts tomorrow.... It's only a daaaay awaayyyyy!

Looking forward to meeting all you guys this week!!