Vmrcm c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been checking my email and status page all day just in case they sent out invites early. Hopefully Monday is the day! Good luck everyone! :luck:
If I had to guess, I would say Monday will not be the day. It's a holiday (Martin Luther King Day) and many places are closed. :( The veterinary school's calendar didn't say they were closed, but the academic calendar for Virginia Tech said university offices are closed.

Members don't see this ad.

If I had to guess, I would say Monday will not be the day. It's a holiday (Martin Luther King Day) and many places are closed. :( The veterinary school's calendar didn't say they were closed, but the academic calendar for Virginia Tech said university offices are closed.

Oh no I didn't even think about that :( Hopefully Tuesday then. The wait is killing me!

Hi Jackie,
Well, I was an atypical applicant last year, I'm 37, although not married and no kids. But I am not the oldest in my class (2nd), and other people are married with or without kids. So, come on in! :D
And, even if you end up getting waitlisted, well, so was I, and was notified June 10th last year!
Best Wishes,
Fidils

QUOTE=jackieblue;11942546]Hi everyone! I just found this site today. I am waiting and worrying just like the rest, but I'm 38 years old, married with a 10 year old daughter. Any other atypical applicants this year?[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah, sorry, we don't have class tomorrow, but we do Tuesday!

Yeah March 2 & 3. i believe offers should start going out in the next week. gl everyone.

just wondering i know some of u said Joyce said state status doesnt matter but i got an email yesterday that said more documentation needed for in state va status. i was caught off guard by it and mailed all my info today. i dont imagine my status being a problem. anyone else have this email and applying in state ?

I spoke with Joyce and yes they require more information for my MD residency as well. And she explained to me that in state/oos does not matter when getting an interview...its after the interview that you will be placed in or out of state and then ranked and then accepted or waitlisted off of that. So yes, it matters in the end but not in getting an interview...she stated that she needed my documentation by the beginning of February because that is when the confirmation of residency begins. hope this helps :))

I spoke with Joyce and yes they require more information for my MD residency as well. And she explained to me that in state/oos does not matter when getting an interview...its after the interview that you will be placed in or out of state and then ranked and then accepted or waitlisted off of that. So yes, it matters in the end but not in getting an interview...she stated that she needed my documentation by the beginning of February because that is when the confirmation of residency begins. hope this helps :))

This surprises me. Obviously there are a lot more OOS applicants as compared to IS, so how would they make sure they were interviewing enough ISers to fill the class? When I applied and interviewed 3 years ago (before the interview change), they told me that they interviewed 80 marylanders for 40 spots (or 60 for 30...can't remember exact numbers). If ISers are competing for interviews with OOSers, then I'm not feeling so hopeful :(

Good luck this week everyone!

This surprises me. Obviously there are a lot more OOS applicants as compared to IS, so how would they make sure they were interviewing enough ISers to fill the class? When I applied and interviewed 3 years ago (before the interview change), they told me that they interviewed 80 marylanders for 40 spots (or 60 for 30...can't remember exact numbers). If ISers are competing for interviews with OOSers, then I'm not feeling so hopeful :(

I have no idea! I was not even aware that I needed to confirm/send in other things for my residency until joining this forum and seeing that people were talking about "confirming"...I was told by the residency office that because I work for The University of Maryland I am considered a resident...I found out last week from the veterinary school that this is not the case for veterinary school admission selection....so in short, I have no idea. I was totally freaking out on the phone with Joyce but she assured me that my documents proving residency were not going to affect me getting an interview...I chose to take that as a good sign...or that just means she alreadys knows I am not getting one...but then why would she need my other information???...see, you can flip flop it either way!!!! daaahh!! :::runs in circle:::::confused:

I have no idea! I was not even aware that I needed to confirm/send in other things for my residency until joining this forum and seeing that people were talking about "confirming"...I was told by the residency office that because I work for The University of Maryland I am considered a resident...I found out last week from the veterinary school that this is not the case for veterinary school admission selection....so in short, I have no idea. I was totally freaking out on the phone with Joyce but she assured me that my documents proving residency were not going to affect me getting an interview...I chose to take that as a good sign...or that just means she alreadys knows I am not getting one...but then why would she need my other information???...see, you can flip flop it either way!!!! daaahh!! :::runs in circle:::::confused:
Ugh so annoying . So my other question is what documentation is needed because i called and emailed her about what type of documents she needed and the only answer i got was please provide all necessary documentation for this claim of instate residency . i surely hope that this means we got interviews if they are requiring us to do this....cause ill be honest im gonna be annoyed if i did all of this for a rejection or a waitlist !

thanks for the update! GOOD LUCK! :xf:

Ugh so annoying . So my other question is what documentation is needed because i called and emailed her about what type of documents she needed and the only answer i got was please provide all necessary documentation for this claim of instate residency . i surely hope that this means we got interviews if they are requiring us to do this....cause ill be honest im gonna be annoyed if i did all of this for a rejection or a waitlist !

thanks for the update! GOOD LUCK! :xf:

She gave me a list, basically the standard of proving residency: copy of my license, voter registration, lease, vehicle registration, tax return and for me personally a letter from my employer (the university of maryland) stating that I did in fact work there. I would assume that for anyone trying to prove residency that the more documents the better but what you don't have you simply cannot give.

And good luck to you as well! :))

Ok so I'm confused by a few of these posts-What documentation are you talking about? I filled out the residency form and mailed it back in August. My status page has a check by both the residency form and the instate residency confirmed. Is there another form/documentation or did you receive an email requesting more info? I am starting to freak out about these past few posts! Good luck this week everyone!

Ok so I'm confused by a few of these posts-What documentation are you talking about? I filled out the residency form and mailed it back in August. My status page has a check by both the residency form and the instate residency confirmed. Is there another form/documentation or did you receive an email requesting more info? I am starting to freak out about these past few posts! Good luck this week everyone!

I do not think it is for everyone...my status page does not indicate that my residency has been confirmed. I have not lived in MD for that long, so when I filled out the in state residency form you could see that. I am not even sure now if I will be considered a resident or not...if its checked off then your fine...(I would assume)

When I talked to Joyce my understanding is that not having the documentation to prove that you where a VA or MD resident in right now would not affect their view of you as a VA or MD resident. Of course they have to make interview selections based upon how many seats they have to fill for IS and OOS, its not that they totally ignore that but, not having your form in at this time does not automatically put you into the OOS category (which I think is concerning a couple individuals). The biggest concern with documentation is that if the documentation does not clear for IS status later but you received an interview (intending to be instate) and got accepted, you might have to take a seat as OOS and/or pay OOS tuition.

That is my impression at least. I may be wrong or misinterpreting others.

I do not think it is for everyone...my status page does not indicate that my residency has been confirmed. I have not lived in MD for that long, so when I filled out the in state residency form you could see that. I am not even sure now if I will be considered a resident or not...if its checked off then your fine...(I would assume)
Yeah...my situation is that i finished grad school and stayed in new Orleans but never changed my residency and still moved back to Va so they are questioning it even though i have lived in va for the past 2 years with a brief 5 month absence which was still well before the 12 month matriculation. i was a md resident for the other 23 years of my life so i was just really freaked out when i got the email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...my situation is that i finished grad school and stayed in new Orleans but never changed my residency and still moved back to Va so they are questioning it even though i have lived in va for the past 2 years with a brief 5 month absence which was still well before the 12 month matriculation. i was a md resident for the other 23 years of my life so i was just really freaked out when i got the email.

Well that makes more sense than me...I lived in NC for 22 years, then moved to FL for an internship for 5 months (still a resident of NC...I assume since nothing was set up to be permanent), then I decided not to apply to veterinary school this cycle and accepted my job in MD...then decided to apply...so I lost my NC residency since I do not actually live there anymore and also do not really have MD residency because I have only lived here since June and I think I have to be here a year...I do not know (obviously)...if my OOS status keeps me from getting admitted to both this cycle so be it, there is always next year and at least I will be sure and get my residency straight before hand :)

Just go into interviews not concerned with residency. Joyce is awesome and will help you sort all of that out. As long as you go into the interview focused on the fact that you want to go there and not how much it will cost (which I obviously understand matters), you will do great. I interviewed as an OOS and in the interview they will tell you there are over a hundred people interviewing for some ridiculous number like 15 spots (this year it is more than last), and it is so intimidating. But, I didn't let that phase me and here I sit...tomorrow starts semester #2.

Just stay positive and the rest is in the details!

Oh ok. I think you will be fine...I spoke with Joyce last year because my parents moved to VA while I was in school in another state and I was concerned about not being considered a resident. She said as long as you or your parents (if you are considered a dependent) moved to VA or MD by August 2011 that you would be considered instate. So I think you would definitely be considered a resident, but they probably just want more information.

Oh ok. I think you will be fine...I spoke with Joyce last year because my parents moved to VA while I was in school in another state and I was concerned about not being considered a resident. She said as long as you or your parents (if you are considered a dependent) moved to VA or MD by August 2011 that you would be considered instate. So I think you would definitely be considered a resident, but they probably just want more information.

YAY! That makes me feel great. :D At least I am in state somewhere!

I seriously need to stop checking my email, I'm going to lose it and it's the first day back in classes! Telling us that we're going to hear back beginning of this week has convinced me we're going to hear today... even though this may not actually be true haha. Deep breaths. :rolleyes: We got this.

I feel your pain. Every time I run into someone I haven't seen in awhile they always seem to bring up vet school. Then I have to dive into the whole, " I applied in October and I STILL don't know" bit. Then my anxiety and impatience kicks in when I think about how soon I could know. GAH!!

I seriously need to stop checking my email, I'm going to lose it and it's the first day back in classes! Telling us that we're going to hear back beginning of this week has convinced me we're going to hear today... even though this may not actually be true haha. Deep breaths. :rolleyes: We got this.

Ditto! I'm on edge. Really hoping that our faux crystal balls aren't wrong... ;)

Good luck!!!

OMG me too...I get my emails to my phone...which I am checking like every 4.3 seconds...at work...my boss knows what I am waiting on though so I am sure he totally understands ::::checks phone again:::: No, nothing...:confused:

OMG me too...I get my emails to my phone...which I am checking like every 4.3 seconds...at work...my boss knows what I am waiting on though so I am sure he totally understands ::::checks phone again:::: No, nothing...:confused:

Me too! I really hope we hear today. I keep checking SDN just to make sure they haven't been sent out yet and I just didn't get one. Do they email rejections as well?

Just got an interview invite!!

:) Yayyyy for you guys!!! I hope I get one :xf::xf::xf::xf:

Nothing yet. And I have class in a few minutes, so I can't keep checking. :/ I'll keep my fingers crossed for an invite after class.

Me too! I really hope we hear today. I keep checking SDN just to make sure they haven't been sent out yet and I just didn't get one. Do they email rejections as well?

I have no idea? But obviously some people have heard (looks below)...but I have been stalking other schools threads and people get email invites at different times/days...

I haven't heard either...do they send them all at the same time? :(

Ahh! I still haven't heard anything, and seeing other people have gotten interview invites is driving me nuts with anxiety.
Congrats to everyone who has heard back already, fingeers crossed for the rest of us.

Ahh! I still haven't heard anything, and seeing other people have gotten interview invites is driving me nuts with anxiety.
Congrats to everyone who has heard back already, fingeers crossed for the rest of us.

I have no idea if invites are sent out in bulk or not. Also, maybe there are multiple interview days, so that's how they're sending out the invites? When I applied in 2006/2007, I was never notified that I did not receive an invite. Hopefully that has changed. The very best of luck to everyone!! :xf:

Ditto! Freaking out a little over here. My friend (IS - MD) also got her invitation, but I haven't received anything yet (IS - VA). My last name begins with "S", so hoping it is just the alphabetical curse...?!

For those of you who received invitations, first of all, CONGRATS!!! :D Second, has anything changed on your status page?

I got an interview invite too! Friday March 2nd as well. Ecstatic is an understatement. :soexcited:

Congrats everyone else too! I have my fingers crossed for everyone who hasn't heard yet. There is always hope! It's the first day. Praying for you guys!

Rejections were sent in snail mail last year (SDN stalked that answer down).

Ditto! Freaking out a little over here. My friend (IS - MD) also got her invitation, but I haven't received anything yet (IS - VA). My last name begins with "S", so hoping it is just the alphabetical curse...?!

For those of you who received invitations, first of all, CONGRATS!!! :D Second, has anything changed on your status page?

Hey! I checked for you, my status page still says under review so I don't think it changes. Also, my email says they sent it at 1:50pm today. I'm not sure, but if that's a different time than everyone else's email maybe they're sending them individually and it could be spread out over a few days. Also, I know there are different committees reading apps. I think it's definitely possible that perhaps some committees finished their apps and submitted their interview invite suggestions before other committees.

There is definitely still hope! :xf:

Got my invite today as well. My email was sent at 1:53 and I seem to be the first person on here to have my interview Saturday the 3rd which is the Saturday before my spring break so I am definitely pumped.

The format seems weird to me (multiple 8 min Q sessions rotating to different interviewers) but this is my first interview so maybe that is normal. Also my last name starts with V so sorry for you guys hoping they are going out alphabetically.

I've already been rejected by two schools so I'm freaking out that I would get an invite this early in VMRCVM's process.

Good luck to anyone yet to hear back

I am totally freaking out. Haven't received an e-mail yet. Has anyone who currently attends VT received an invite?

I am super bummed about not receiving an invite today... I thought my IS school would actually take a look at me :(

Congratulations to those who received one!

Got my invite today as well. My email was sent at 1:53 and I seem to be the first person on here to have my interview Saturday the 3rd which is the Saturday before my spring break so I am definitely pumped.

The format seems weird to me (multiple 8 min Q sessions rotating to different interviewers) but this is my first interview so maybe that is normal. Also my last name starts with V so sorry for you guys hoping they are going out alphabetically.

I've already been rejected by two schools so I'm freaking out that I would get an invite this early in VMRCVM's process.

Good luck to anyone yet to hear back
I believe this is similar to how Texas A&M did their interviews (if perhaps that thread could have some insight into the interview) kind of like "speed dating"?

I am also waiting to hear :( Will they be sending rejections through email, or will it be dreaded snail mail....

I am super bummed about not receiving an invite today... I thought my IS school would actually take a look at me :(

Me too.

I just wish I knew something. One way or the other.

Congratulations to everyone that has an interview!

I have a friend with the last name "S" who got an invite today. I haven't got one yet, so hopefully they are still going to send more out. :/

Congrats to those with invites so far!!!

If you guys check the below linked thread, there were definitely multiple days invitations went out via last year, so you never know! I also haven't heard yet, either :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=773738&page=13

Im not trying to be a pessimist, but it kinda looks like the individuals who got interview invites later got off a wait-list...

If someone gets in contact with Joyce, can they pleeeeease confirm if that was the bulk of the invites (I called many times today). ... I am worried that it was because someone has posted that they got the later interview date, which could mean that they sent out invites for that day too.

my stomach is totally knotted up... I am so disappointed.

It's going to be okay, everyone. Wherever we all end up will happen for a reason!

If someone gets in contact with Joyce, can they pleeeeease confirm if that was the bulk of the invites (I called many times today). ... I am worried that it was because someone has posted that they got the later interview date, which could mean that they sent out invites for that day too.
I have two friends who got invites today and had the later invite day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more invites.

Hey! I checked for you, my status page still says under review so I don't think it changes.
Thanks for checking!

Last year was their first year using this interview format (multiple minis). You might find more info by searching the forum for MMI or looking at last year's VMRCVM threads.

I have a friend with the last name "S" who got an invite today. I haven't got one yet, so hopefully they are still going to send more out. :/
There goes my theory. Damn!

Im not trying to be a pessimist, but it kinda looks like the individuals who got interview invites later got off a wait-list...

my stomach is totally knotted up... I am so disappointed.
You're right, it does look that way. I was OOS last year and was on their waitlist for interviews. Never got one, but I do know that it exists and could be a reasonable explanation for those later interview dates.
Mine, too...

Interview invite! It came at 1:52pm this afternoon.
Saturday, March 3rd! Congratulations to everyone else who has already heard and good luck to those still waiting! I have my fingers crossed for you!

Last edited:
is there any chance they'd offer student hosts for interviewees? :)

I am totally freaking out. Haven't received an e-mail yet. Has anyone who currently attends VT received an invite?

I go to VT right now. I got one today, but seriously guys don't give up. I know they sent them out over a few days last year. Keep your heads up!