VMRCVM 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, got my status yesterday. I'm still on the alternate list for interview invites. :luck:

She's still waiting for responses again, but didn't say how many!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, got my status yesterday. I'm still on the alternate list for interview invites. :luck:

She's still waiting for responses again, but didn't say how many!

I'm planning to call tomorrow afternoon. I got a phone call from a number I didn't know but couldn't get an answer because of reception problems. It was a 301 (which is MD) so I doubt it was her.

I'm planning to call tomorrow afternoon. I got a phone call from a number I didn't know but couldn't get an answer because of reception problems. It was a 301 (which is MD) so I doubt it was her.

Well Blacksburg is 540 area code, but I don't know if they have people in Maryland making admissions phone calls. It's certainly possible since they have the Veterinary Center in College Park. According to their website, the number is a 301 area code (although I think all of MD is 301?). I have no idea if they have admissions staff there though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well Blacksburg is 540 area code, but I don't know if they have people in Maryland making admissions phone calls. It's certainly possible since they have the Veterinary Center in College Park. According to their website, the number is a 301 area code (although I think all of MD is 301?). I have no idea if they have admissions staff there though.

Most of MD is 301, and I know they have an admissions person at the Gudelsky center. I think Ill call and just double check. I figured they'd leave a message and they didn't which is why I figured it wasn't them. Better safe than sorry though!

Most of MD is 301, and I know they have an admissions person at the Gudelsky center. I think Ill call and just double check. I figured they'd leave a message and they didn't which is why I figured it wasn't them. Better safe than sorry though!

It certainly wouldn't hurt to call the number for sure, especially if they have admissions people at that location. Yeah I would think they'd leave a message, but I suppose it's possible they wouldn't. Make sure to check your email too, including the spam box! :luck:

It certainly wouldn't hurt to call the number for sure, especially if they have admissions people at that location. Yeah I would think they'd leave a message, but I suppose it's possible they wouldn't. Make sure to check your email too, including the spam box! :luck:

Called this afternoon, wasn't them. Oh well, hopefully they contact us tomorrow!

I'm exhausted by the end of the week any more -- all this waiting, checking my email a hundred times a day, making sure my phone's ringer is turned on, calling and asking about the mail! This is harder than my day job!!

I'm exhausted by the end of the week any more -- all this waiting, checking my email a hundred times a day, making sure my phone's ringer is turned on, calling and asking about the mail! This is harder than my day job!!

Tell me about it!!! I almost got in trouble at work for checking my phone obsessively! I just want to know one way or the other. :confused:

Guess I was one of the lucky OOSers who benefited from someone declining their interview -- I received an email late yesterday. Very excited!

But I'm also feeling kind of guilty -- dare I say SDN is messing me up in the head! I want everyone who wants this as bad as I do to get as lucky. Best of luck everyone -- with VMRCVM and all your other schools!

Guess I was one of the lucky OOSers who benefited from someone declining their interview -- I received an email late yesterday. Very excited!

But I'm also feeling kind of guilty -- dare I say SDN is messing me up in the head! I want everyone who wants this as bad as I do to get as lucky. Best of luck everyone -- with VMRCVM and all your other schools!

Congrats Horsingaround31! Thanks for your good luck. I have given up hope, i am on the instate waiting list and doubt any Va resident would give up an interview. :(

Guess I was one of the lucky OOSers who benefited from someone declining their interview -- I receivejd an email late yesterday. Very excited!

I'm glad to hear you got an email! My fingers are still crossed but I admit my hope is dwindling too.

Another OOS alternate here....still waiting for word.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if they send rejection letters/emails/calls after the interview dates or can we safely assume that we've been rejected if don't hear past that date?

This waiting game is driving me nutso. Can't stop checking my email...argh!:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)

CONGRATUALTIONS HORSINGAROUND!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Good luck during your interview!! :luck:

Horsingaround - Congrats!!! Give it your all!!!! I'm sure you will do great!!

Hahatoofunny22- I agree this is too stressful.....

Thatredhead: I don't know. It's possible because many people might not be applying to VT alone and might get into a school they want to go to more before the interviews next week. Did you apply to any other schools?

This is the only one I applied to...... :(

VTGal: This is terrible. Did you apply to other schools?

Thatredhead: I don't know. It's possible because many people might not be applying to VT alone and might get into a school they want to go to more before the interviews next week. Did you apply to any other schools?

I applied to eight total. So far I have six rejections, one I haven't heard from and VMRCVM. VMRCVM is my first choice (cost, location, tracking) but I'm losing hope.

I wish they could tell us where we are on the alternate list to give us an idea of whether to hold out hope or not. At this point, it also seems like the list is quite long, which is not too comforting.. Good luck everyone, hoping those phone calls for all of us come through really soon (and trying not to hope at the same time)! :xf:

I e-mailed them a week ago to ask when we could expect to hear something by. No response. I don't even know for certain that I even am an alternate... just that I haven't been formally rejected yet.

:scared:

I really wish that VMRCVM made more of an effort to keep their neurotic applicants in the loop. ;)

I e-mailed them a week ago to ask when we could expect to hear something by. No response. I don't even know for certain that I even am an alternate... just that I haven't been formally rejected yet.

:scared:

I really wish that VMRCVM made more of an effort to keep their neurotic applicants in the loop. ;)

I agree - their communication leaves a lot to be desired! :( Not sweet.

On the bright side, Joyce is super nice. You really shouldn't hesitate to call her!

I wish we knew where we stood as well. Obviously it differs year to year and sounds like some people who had interviews last year didn't get an interview right off the bat this year.

I was searching through the old forum last year and the interviews were around the same time and it looked like people were still getting phone calls 8 days before the interview so I guess there is a little glimmer of hope. :xf:

I wish we knew where we stood as well. Obviously it differs year to year and sounds like some people who had interviews last year didn't get an interview right off the bat this year.

I was searching through the old forum last year and the interviews were around the same time and it looked like people were still getting phone calls 8 days before the interview so I guess there is a little glimmer of hope. :xf:

Layla, you seriously just made my heart skip a beat. :xf: It's just crazy how competitive vet school school is compared to other programs. And it changes year to year! I'm not a perfect candidate, but I'm glad they didn't outright reject me.... I at minimum, have that to be thankful for! :)

Easy, easy there guys ;) I know the wait is killing, but think how many hundreds of other people are calling, emailing, etc...they are probably flooded, and exhausted. It is incredibly difficult to keep so many individual people "in the loop" when you have hundreds and hundreds of writeups to compare, evaluate, choose, argue over, etc.

VMRCVM is notoriously late in notification - five years ago I was flipping out myself. Hang in there, easy does it. You'll either get one, or you won't - nothing can change that, not even worrying :)

Did anyone else get their group numbers today? :)

sooo nervous!

Who else on the interview alternate list still has yet to hear anything? I guess this is the point where we give up hope, seeing as the interviews are this weekend? Blah! I have my suit ready to go, VMRCVM... just in case you change your mind... :p

Who else on the interview alternate list still has yet to hear anything? I guess this is the point where we give up hope, seeing as the interviews are this weekend? Blah! I have my suit ready to go, VMRCVM... just in case you change your mind... :p

They never confirmed me as an alternate (I didn't call), but I haven't been rejected, nor have I received an interview invite at this point... so I'm assuming I am on the alternate list? They did still want my fall transcripts when I e-mailed them at the beginning of the month to let them know they'd be late (two of my professors didn't submit grades on time). I'm not entirely sure where I stand, but my assumption at this point is that there is probably a Skinny Envelope of Doom with my name on it floating around somewhere. :(

Not that I'm not obsessively checking my e-mail on a daily basis just in case... :D

I suppose it's possible we could still get an invite for an interview. :xf:
I too have my suits all ready to go. I live very close so I'm considering calling them to remind them that if anyone turns an invite down, it'd be very easy to make it to Blacksburg! :D

I'm still waiting as well, and I'm in IS. I emailed admissions last night, but I doubt then they are going to contact us this late.

I did interview at ISU on Saturday, so luckily I have a suit if they do decide to call :)

I'm still waiting as well, and I'm in IS. I emailed admissions last night, but I doubt then they are going to contact us this late.

I did interview at ISU on Saturday, so luckily I have a suit if they do decide to call :)

I talked to mrs. Massey today and she said she had two oos cancellations, but I'm an is applicant. She said we could hear up until the day before the interview.

I talked to mrs. Massey today and she said she had two oos cancellations, but I'm an is applicant. She said we could hear up until the day before the interview.

Holy crap Layla! That's crazy!! I'm not sure if I'm IS or OOS. I applied as IS but there were some tax issues and a possible dual residency issue. Basically I work in a border state but live in VA. Gosh I'm still hoping for the best but preparing the best and worst at the same time! lol :xf:

This is what I'm going to be prepared for, even though I think the chances are very slim. One can always hope, but I'm setting my sights on my last school to spare myself any saddness on VMRCVM.

Given that I live on the other end of the country, that last minute interview probably wouldn't work out so well for me, so I've mostly given up on this one. :(

Did anyone else get their group numbers today? :)

sooo nervous!

I'm In group 4 (1:30). I'm really nervous too, especially about the weather! I've had one rejection, the VMRCVM interview, and still waiting on one other schools. I spoke with Ms. Massie about whether the multiple interviews will have read our file and she said that one of the questions is a very traditional question (I'm thinking it's why do you want to be a vet) and that interviewer will know all about us, but none of the others will. Good luck!

The DAY before...?!

For real..?!

Well, I'm 4 hours away and have a friend I can stay with in Blacksburg. Bring it on!

I agree with the others, though - as amazing as it would be to get a call/e-mail/whatever this week, I'm prepared for the worst!

Got my group today as well-Group 6. Really glad she mentioned the bit about the randomizer...I was beginning to wonder if I should be concerned that no one else on SDN seemed to be interviewing on the 29th!

I'm glad one of the questions is traditional- I'd heard that the process could be very impersonal with just the behavioral questions.

And oh no! I just checked the forecast and now I'm nervous about that too!

I'm In group 4 (1:30). I'm really nervous too, especially about the weather! I've had one rejection, the VMRCVM interview, and still waiting on one other schools. I spoke with Ms. Massie about whether the multiple interviews will have read our file and she said that one of the questions is a very traditional question (I'm thinking it's why do you want to be a vet) and that interviewer will know all about us, but none of the others will. Good luck!

I am in group 4 also, so I will see you there. I am driving down Thursday evening.

Group 3 for me :)

Thanks for the heads up about the MMI question information Roscoe, everything I can learn is a plus! Good luck to everyone! And I hope all you alternates get your calls this week :xf:

Got my group today as well-Group 6. Really glad she mentioned the bit about the randomizer...I was beginning to wonder if I should be concerned that no one else on SDN seemed to be interviewing on the 29th!

I'm glad one of the questions is traditional- I'd heard that the process could be very impersonal with just the behavioral questions.

And oh no! I just checked the forecast and now I'm nervous about that too!

maybe they'll call of us alternates and put us on the 29th?

haha. that would be nice :)

It would indeed. Hoping there's some good news for you all soon :)

Good Luck to all of those interviewing this week/weekend! I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be joining you this year, but c'est la vie. I did interview at VMRCVM last year though and the best advice I can give for the MMI style is to practice thinking quickly. You are not given a lot of time for each little "mini-interview", hence the term "mini", so you must be able to come up with clear and concise answers fairly quickly. Also, you have to articulate that answer quickly. I personally found it less stressful than the former hot/cold panel interviews (what can I say, I could be a professional VMRCVM interviewee for all the trips I have made down there, but at the end always a bridesmaid/alternate, never a bride/student). Anyway, good luck :luck: and don't stress, because it will only take away from your interview time :cool:

Group 2!! I am also glad that they said it was randomized puts my mind at ease and doesn't make me nervous if i interview later than earlier. This MMI format is crazy with the groups and color subgroups! I am glad to hear there is one traditional question, but so many scenarios seems at bit much! but I can understand because they might test our response to situations as they could happen in real life which will show more about our personality, way of thinking, and such, instead of the traditional questions that we have practiced so many times before.

Everyone I know is bugging me to call Joyce and tell her I can make it on short notice and I'm just feeling a little put out. I haven't heard anything and frankly I don't expect to. Sure, I really want to be there but I'm not sure anything I can do now will help :mad:

Group 2!! I am also glad that they said it was randomized puts my mind at ease and doesn't make me nervous if i interview later than earlier. This MMI format is crazy with the groups and color subgroups! I am glad to hear there is one traditional question, but so many scenarios seems at bit much! but I can understand because they might test our response to situations as they could happen in real life which will show more about our personality, way of thinking, and such, instead of the traditional questions that we have practiced so many times before.

I am group 2 as well! I think the best we can do is just pretend we are in that situation and just answer as best we can and be ourselves...I mean if it were a real life situation you probably wouldn't stand there without saying a word for 6 minutes straight...WE CAN DO THIS!

Does anyone know the policy for if an applicant doesn't show for their interview? Is it worth me driving down there with my stuff and waiting in Blacksburg for a phone call?
I would call admissions and ask what their procedure is for filling spots for people who don't show for interviews. They might just not fill those spots. It could turn into a waste of weekend, money and morale. Also, consider the conditions of the roads in VA now- many of my friends' universities are closed because the weather is so bad. Anyways, don't beat yourself up over not getting an interview invite from VMRCVM. Spend all of your time and effort on AVC!!!!

I would call admissions and ask what their procedure is for filling spots for people who don't show for interviews. They might just not fill those spots. It could turn into a waste of weekend, money and morale. Also, consider the conditions of the roads in VA now- many of my friends' universities are closed because the weather is so bad. Anyways, don't beat yourself up over not getting an interview invite from VMRCVM. Spend all of your time and effort on AVC!!!!

I called twice, left one message and no response. If I could just hear from her about their no-shows (which I really can't imagine happening..) I could make a decision but as it is it's just argh.