VMRCVM c/o 2018!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willagirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I didn't see this one started...

Can't wait to apply!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, meant to put c/o 2018 applicants, got a little excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's crazy to think that it is already time to apply right; it is like everything you've worked towards is finally here! I hope I get into VMRCVM :)

Hey everyone! I'm currently at VMRCVM and love it! Feel free to ask me anything on here or PM during this exciting and stressful time. Good luck to all :luck::luck:

Any magic secrets to getting in :laugh:

Well, I asked at my interview what they were looking for really and was told "diversity...we don't want everyone acting and thinking the same way". I'm a non trad student and I think that is my strength, first as an applicant and now as a student. If something about you is unique, show it off.
Also I think it pays to be yourself, be honest and be persistent. Write a PS that reflects you, not some bs that you think sounds impressive.
It's a ways off, but if you don't hear back about an interview, call. That's what I did, a week before interviews and I was told I was on the interview waitlist and asked if I was still interested in interviewing. I told them I was and we hung up. I was called back in less than 5 min with an interview offer. Persistence pays, good phone manners never hurt either.

I love your SDN name btw:)

Reactions: 1 user
i had written a personal statement but a vet that I work with who I am really close to suggested I scrap it and start over and I have literally no idea what to write about

Question - How heavily do they weigh experience in a research setting? Been a SA/exotics tech for 5 years, plenty of equine experience prior, but no exp in a research setting. would they discount me?

Question - How heavily do they weigh experience in a research setting? Been a SA/exotics tech for 5 years, plenty of equine experience prior, but no exp in a research setting. would they discount me?

I wouldn't worry about it (not much you could do at this point anyway right?) It's good to have, but lacking it isn't a deal breaker by any means. You sound like you have well rounded experiences. I had no research experience when I applied, wasn't a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it (not much you could do at this point anyway right?) It's good to have, but lacking it isn't a deal breaker by any means. You sound like you have well rounded experiences. I had no research experience when I applied, wasn't a problem.

thank you :) according to the website it appears that they do like to have research, i just wasn't clear on whether it was mandatory or not.

I have a couple of years clearing out some pre-reqs, so if needed I could try for some internships in research, but honestly it's not my target career anyway so i would rather try for some internships in a zoo/aquarium/something like that.

thank you :) according to the website it appears that they do like to have research, i just wasn't clear on whether it was mandatory or not.

I have a couple of years clearing out some pre-reqs, so if needed I could try for some internships in research, but honestly it's not my target career anyway so i would rather try for some internships in a zoo/aquarium/something like that.

I didn't have any research experience when applying. Plenty of my classmates didn't do research either. Not mandatory. Conversely, I have a couple of classmates with only research experience and little to no clinical experience.
I won't worry about going out of your way to do research, unless that is where your interest lies. Better to get a depth of experience where you are most interested.

thanks for the feedback :) it's much appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying this year as an OOS. I'm super excited, but a little worried about the tracking system. I'm pretty sure I want to do mixed though :)

Hey guys!!

Has anyone done the supplemental yet?

It's worrying me, since we have to do it in one sitting....I'm afraid there will be some grandiose essay that I won't be able to have anyone read over, or my computer will crash on me, or something like that!!!

Hey guys!!

Has anyone done the supplemental yet?

It's worrying me, since we have to do it in one sitting....I'm afraid there will be some grandiose essay that I won't be able to have anyone read over, or my computer will crash on me, or something like that!!!

You do not need to worry about the supplemental. It has a few very straight forward questions and one essay that if I recall was maybe 300 characters, which is next to nothing. You will be fine!

Edit: I should probably add that my knowledge is from last year's supplemental, but I doubt it has changed much.

VMCAS is submitted,
VMRCVM supplamental is submitted,

I'm feeling good guys!!

now for months of insecurity and second guessing!!!!

:laugh:

Just submitted my application! :)

I was wondering if it is okay to follow up with VMRCVM with a phone call to make sure that they received all the information from the application, supplemental, and residency forms (and just to make sure that I didn't forget anything).

Good luck to everyone else who is applying!

Hey guys! I'm starting my first year at VMR (orientation begins Monday! So excited!!!). Anyway, feel free to ask me any questions or PM me. I definitely understand application stress since I just went through it!

As far as calling to check if they got everything, I definitely would. Everyone in Admissions is super nice, and they understand how stressful it is and want to help. I know of at least one person whose GRE scores were lost in the mail, so I'd recommend making sure everything gets there. Less worrying for you :)

Good luck everyone! I'm pulling for you guys!

for anybody who has filled out the supplemental application, how long approximately does it take? i read on here that there was an essay last year...i was thinking of trying to do it now before work in like an hour but now i think i will wait till tonight

It was one of the quickest ones that I did. Should only take 15 min at the most!
You only have to fill out basic info and answer a 300 character prompt

So, I feel stupid for asking this but is anyone else having problems with the instate forms?

If I download it A: I can't save any information typed in and B: I can't check any of the little boxes.

If I just load the form in my browser window I can't type anything at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

So, I feel stupid for asking this but is anyone else having problems with the instate forms?

If I download it A: I can't save any information typed in and B: I can't check any of the little boxes.

I printed mine out and hand-wrote everything in it last year. I also had to mail it to my mom to fill out part of it.

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the SDN. I applied to vt last year and got on the waitlist and I'm here applying again. Good Luck everyone!
:luck:

2nd this! It won't let me type anything in.

Update: I don't know if this is different if you're not using a mac, but there should be an icon on the top left that if you hover over it, it says, "sign, add text, or send a document for a signature." Click that button and then you can type anywhere into the pdf. You will probably have to print it out, and scan it anyways though because you need to sign the bottom of the form.. but if you'd like to type the rest, that's the best way to do it!

Last edited:
I printed mine out and hand-wrote everything in it last year. I also had to mail it to my mom to fill out part of it.

Unfortunately, they want us to upload our residency info to their system instead of mailing it this year.

2nd this! It won't let me type anything in.

Update: I don't know if this is different if you're not using a mac, but there should be an icon on the top left that if you hover over it, it says, "sign, add text, or send a document for a signature." Click that button and then you can type anywhere into the pdf. You will probably have to print it out, and scan it anyways though because you need to sign the bottom of the form.. but if you'd like to type the rest, that's the best way to do it!

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I'm still having the same problem. I'm going to try a relatives computer in the morning, and if that fails I'll email admissions and see what they say.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just want to make sure. The email I got notifying me that my app is complete and being reviewed said that interview invites will be sent by the end of December. Does anyone know if they're all sent at once (in late Dec. perhaps) or if they're ever sent earlier?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just want to make sure. The email I got notifying me that my app is complete and being reviewed said that interview invites will be sent by the end of December. Does anyone know if they're all sent at once (in late Dec. perhaps) or if they're ever sent earlier?

When did you submit? I submitted my supp on 7/25 and I've not gotten ^ email yet.....my VMCAS was submitted 7/24 but not mailed until 8/24 :rolleyes: anyway, I'm anxious for that e-mail!!

Last year, invites were went out in early January... blech.

I submitted my supp on 8/24 and my VMCAS was mailed on 9/3. I received the confirmation email yesterday. I'm guessing they'll wait to send interview invites until all applications have been reviewed, so probably not until late December. Oh, well here's to hoping otherwise! :D

Good luck everyone. I just submitted my VMCAS and anxiously waiting for a reply.

Did you all fill out the "To which other schools did you submit your VMCAS application? (Optional)" question on the supplemental application? Does it look bad that I'm applying to a lot of schools? I don't want to check the 12+ schools I'm applying to and have VMRCVM choose another applicant over me who applied to less schools. I figure the adcomm might think I could get in elsewhere (statistically speaking) due to applying to several schools and therefore discard me. Thoughts?

Did you all fill out the "To which other schools did you submit your VMCAS application? (Optional)" question on the supplemental application? Does it look bad that I'm applying to a lot of schools? I don't want to check the 12+ schools I'm applying to and have VMRCVM choose another applicant over me who applied to less schools. I figure the adcomm might think I could get in elsewhere (statistically speaking) due to applying to several schools and therefore discard me. Thoughts?

I didn't fill it out at all. I've heard that that sort of info can make a huge difference and I've heard that it means nothing, but I didn't want to take my chances. Good luck!

I didn't fill it out either but when I submitted it I wasn't entirely sure which other schools i was applying to

I didn't fill it out at all. I've heard that that sort of info can make a huge difference and I've heard that it means nothing, but I didn't want to take my chances. Good luck!

I didn't fill it out either but when I submitted it I wasn't entirely sure which other schools i was applying to

Thank you! :) I ended up leaving it blank.

so for anybody who has checked their status page apparently they have started reviewing applications already!!

iheartdogs- Have they really?? I will have to go look at mine again now to see if it changed :) I really, really want to go here- top choice and not just because it is in-state (though that helps ;-))

PS has anyone had their IS residency confirmed yet? My Vtech guest account lists all my materials as being in and received, but my residency has yet to be confirmed. I have really ****ty handwriting... am hoping that my attempts to write legibly are not the problem, and that this is a common experience...

Did you guys see this? http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2013/09/092713-vetmed-affordability.html

I am so nervous, 1200 applicants last year!! My last 45 rocked until calculus!! I will be taking it again, but it took me from a 3.8 to a 3.4!!! Boooo!!

Good luck everyone. I live in Florida, applied to UF as well, but grew up in VA and would love to go to school at VMRCVM. Blacksburg is so beautiful.

PS has anyone had their IS residency confirmed yet? My Vtech guest account lists all my materials as being in and received, but my residency has yet to be confirmed. I have really ****ty handwriting... am hoping that my attempts to write legibly are not the problem, and that this is a common experience...

Where are you viewing these updates? When I log in using http://www.guest.banner.vt.edu, I can only click on the supplemental application link. However, clicking on this link only tells me that I have already submitted my supplemental application. Maybe it's because I had my VMCAS sent yesterday? Or is there another site? Thanks!

Yeah, it is because they haven't received your VMCAS app yet. Once they receive it, you will get an email telling you how to set up your account where you can track your application.

They told me they were going to make notifications on interviews at the end of December, so it will either be a really good or really bad holiday season. I am hoping for a GOOD holiday season!!

I submitted my supplemental Monday night and they received my VMCAS already, but when I check on the status of everything it's not showing my supplemental as received. When I go to the supplemental link, it says that I've already submitted. Anyone else run into this? I think I'll call them in the morning. Bleh.

I submitted my supplemental Monday night and they received my VMCAS already, but when I check on the status of everything it's not showing my supplemental as received. When I go to the supplemental link, it says that I've already submitted. Anyone else run into this? I think I'll call them in the morning. Bleh.

i talked to them and they said itll take up to a week for everything to show up on the status page even though they have it. I know for sure they have all of my stuff for ive emailed admissions and i just received the status page and today and it shows that im missing a few items.

Have you guys had your IS confirmed yet? I sitll haven't had mine done and I finished the supplemental a while ago :/

Finally had my IS status confirmed yesterday (after 3 months).

I finally got access to my application summary this weekend! However it doesn't say that my IS residency forms were received... I know it was going to take a while to get verified, but I'm concerned since it doesn't even have it listed as received. Was that also not showing up for you guys before it was confirmed? I'm sending in an email to ask about it, but just curious.