VMRCVM c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I live in WV, so I'm fairly close to Blacksburg and will just be driving down for the dinner on Friday afternoon. If anyone needs any recommendations for places to eat, let me know! Lots of awesome local places to try out in the city.
Hey I'm already here and I'm a foodie! Any cool places to eat? I went to Gillie's vegetarian restaurant tonight. I'm not a vegetarian though so any cool good place is fine with me :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm already here and I'm a foodie! Any cool places to eat? I went to Gillie's vegetarian restaurant tonight. I'm not a vegetarian though so any cool good place is fine with me :)
For breakfast, GO TRY HELLO BAGEL!!! It's so so so good, It's this adorable little place that does bagels and breakfast sandwiches.
For lunch, I really like Boudreaux's. It's cajun food, so if you aren't into spicy things, it might not be for you. I love their gator bites and their burgers are pretty rad.

Reactions: 1 user
For breakfast, GO TRY HELLO BAGEL!!! It's so so so good, It's this adorable little place that does bagels and breakfast sandwiches.
For lunch, I really like Boudreaux's. It's cajun food, so if you aren't into spicy things, it might not be for you. I love their gator bites and their burgers are pretty rad.
Ooo both these places look awesome!! Thank you so much! Gonna gain ten lbs tomorrow and my suit won't fit by Saturday lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Mellow Mushroom has some amazing pizzas! It's on Main St, right next door to a hotel. Waffle House is decent for a breakfast place, nothing too unique about it though.

P.S. Anybody else staying at the Inn on campus?

Last edited:
Any group 4 or 5 person wanna meet for lunch tomorrow At any of the places suggested above before our interviews? Maybe this will distress us a bit ;)

Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm also staying at the Inn. Dinner in a few. Excited!!

The current vet student at my table was really cool! He probably was a little amused being around all of the anxious/nervous candidates, and remembering the same feelings. He finished his first semester, and was a good source of info for all of our questions.

The current vet student at my table was really cool! He probably was a little amused being around all of the anxious/nervous candidates, and remembering the same feelings. He finished his first semester, and was a good source of info for all of our questions.
How were people dressing for the most part while there? Guys in suits or just collared shirts/ties? Trying to decide on what to pack atm lol. Good luck tomorrow :)

I forgot my folder they gave us at dinner! Was there anything important in there?

How were people dressing for the most part while there? Guys in suits or just collared shirts/ties? Trying to decide on what to pack atm lol. Good luck tomorrow :)

Couple guys were in suit jackets with khakis, most guys were in slacks and a button down shirt with ties and sleeves rolled up, some guys were in polos, one dude was in a flannel with black pants. Girls seemed to be in skirts or professional looking pants and blouses. Definitely business casual. Some current vet students wore khakis and a polo shirt.

I forgot my folder they gave us at dinner! Was there anything important in there?

There wasn't really anything in there that you couldn't find out on the website. They included a copy of the current magazine "Tracks," some pamphlets on "academics, curriculum, student life and life in Blacksburg," and a letter which is essentially the same congratulatory letter as the email we received when we were invited to an interview.

Couple guys were in suit jackets with khakis, most guys were in slacks and a button down shirt with ties and sleeves rolled up, some guys were in polos, one dude was in a flannel with black pants. Girls seemed to be in skirts or professional looking pants and blouses. Definitely business casual. Some current vet students wore khakis and a polo shirt.

There wasn't really anything in there that you couldn't find out on the website. They included a copy of the current magazine "Tracks," some pamphlets on "academics, curriculum, student life and life in Blacksburg," and a letter which is essentially the same congratulatory letter as the email we received when we were invited to an interview.
Thanks a ton! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
There wasn't really anything in there that you couldn't find out on the website. They included a copy of the current magazine "Tracks," some pamphlets on "academics, curriculum, student life and life in Blacksburg," and a letter which is essentially the same congratulatory letter as the email we received when we were invited to an interview.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!

How did people feel about the interview?

It was tons of fun! Overall I thought it went well with 1 or 2 of the scenarios being a tad bit trickier than the others.

I agree! I am pretty sure I blew one of the scenarios, I was too vague and didn't have enough time to really clarify. Gonna be a long wait until Valentine's Day!

How did people feel about the interview?

Overall positive! It was certainly stressful but also fun, in a way.

All the other applicants I talked to were very cool and supportive. The atmosphere was great even though we were all nervous, no one was competitive or negative. I met some awesome people and I wish everyone else that interviewed the best of luck!

Overall positive! It was certainly stressful but also fun, in a way.

All the other applicants I talked to were very cool and supportive. The atmosphere was great even though we were all nervous, no one was competitive or negative. I met some awesome people and I wish everyone else that interviewed the best of luck!

I agree that it was a positive experience overall. I tried to be myself and have fun with it- amidst the stress!

I cannot say one negative thing about my interview experience at VMRCVM. Every applicant, student, and faculty/staff member I met was kind and supportive. I think it made for a great experience for all involved.

I wish the absolute best to all the applicants and hello to the waiting game! #valentinesday

Reactions: 3 users
I agree that it was a positive experience overall. I tried to be myself and have fun with it- amidst the stress!

I cannot say one negative thing about my interview experience at VMRCVM. Every applicant, student, and faculty/staff member I met was kind and supportive. I think it made for a great experience for all involved.

I wish the absolute best to all the applicants and hello to the waiting game! #valentinesday

I completely agree. The faculty, staff, and students made every applicant feel comfortable. Every applicant was nice and supportive! Best moment was when my group (group 4) got out of the last interview room and we were all laughing with joy that the actual interview part was over.

hey everyone! i hope all yall's interviews went well - fingers crossed for everybody!
i'm applying this next cycle, though, and was wondering if any of you remembered any of the scenarios you were given? Figured I'd ask now while they're still fresh on your mind :)

hey everyone! i hope all yall's interviews went well - fingers crossed for everybody!
i'm applying this next cycle, though, and was wondering if any of you remembered any of the scenarios you were given? Figured I'd ask now while they're still fresh on your mind :)
We actually sign a confidentiality agreement saying we will not discuss what happened but I would suggest googling multiple mini interviews and they have sample questions to practice with! Good luck!

If it makes you feel any better, I feel like all of the situations I were presented with were not only more than fair, but also very enjoyable, and there is honestly not really a way to study for these questions (I mean you can practice mmi questions out there, but this is one interview where I didn't feel like I needed to look up all of the cow vaccines just before my interview lol - if that makes any sense) You just go in there, and be yourself, and for the most part, everyone in my section seemed to feel like it was an overall low stress process :)

Like the others mentioned, we signed confidentiality agreements, so we can't talk about what the scenarios were.

I'll just tell you what other people told me before the MMI: Go in with confidence and be yourself. I know that sounds generic but the interviewers can tell if you're just trying to give them the answer you think THEY want to hear. It's good to have an opinion on a scenario- you don't want to seem wishy-washy!

Something I did to prepare was mock interviews with a graduate counselor at my school. If your school offers this, definitely do it! Even if you can't, ask a family member or coworker to do a mock interview with you.

The graduate counselor at my school wasn't familiar with the MMI, so she just gave me traditional interviews. These helped a lot even if they were different from the MMI, because they helped me practice things like professionalism, answering questions well, and getting control of habits I tend to have when I'm nervous (fidgeting, etc.)

Also wear something that's professional but that you feel comfortable in. It sounds obvious but you want to be able to focus 100% on the MMI and not constantly adjusting your clothes, etc.

Good luck!!

oops didn't know about the confidentiality agreement - duh! thanks all :) good luck again!

I don't know if anyone else caught this, but VMRCVM put up a little article about our interview weekend. (For those who are wondering about interview specifics, this article sheds some light about what it was like). See if you can find yourself in the photo gallery-- I know I did! ;)

Article:
http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2015/01/012615-vetmed-admissions.html#

Photo gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152937980036321.1073741931.41612981320&type=1
Very interesting. The article says that VA-MD now has the second largest applicant pool. Anyone know who #1 is? A cursory Google search didn't turn up any recent AAVMC data...

Very interesting. The article says that VA-MD now has the second largest applicant pool. Anyone know who #1 is? A cursory Google search didn't turn up any recent AAVMC data...
It would have to be nc state as they had over 1300 applicants this year

I thought CSU had 1600?
Yeah I am not sure if vmr was actually the #2 most applied to. I am pretty sure they are #3, as I figured csu and nc state would be ahead of them, but the only one I know is nc state since they emailed that one out to the applicants

The student ambassador for our table didn't make it (I think there were travel issues because of the weather or something), so we ended up borrowing a student from a neighboring table for 1/2 the dinner. He was super nice and laid back. I felt that way about pretty much everyone I met over the weekend. They all seemed as though they were a tight group and really supportive of each other.

It pretty much concreted my choice of VMRCVM as my top choice. :) Now I just need to get that acceptance email, lol. The wait is killing me!

Yeah this wait is killing me! :hungover:

I'm so anxious! Lol:rofl:

Right? Ughhhh....it's so close yet so far away!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Keep busy!!

When will be getting news? Im confused because on the dinner they said first or second week? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
:)

I thought they said Valentine's day (14th)

Reactions: 2 users
It says in one email that decisions will be sent approx. 30 days after the interviews and in another it says they will be sent around Feb 14th....looks like last year people started to find out around the 12th :)

alternate aka rejected.

Last edited:
Alternate.....:(

How does this work exactly....?

Alternate.....:(

How does this work exactly....?

I was alternate last year. If you're in-state, you're pretty much rejected. The wait list either does not move or moves by 1. OOS moves a bit more. People are ranked on their wait lists, but you can't find out your ranking until April 15, so if you have admission offers from other schools I would take them.

Edit: forgot to mention that everyone gets put on their respective alternate list.

I was alternate last year. If you're in-state, you're pretty much rejected. The wait list either does not move or moves by 1. OOS moves a bit more. People are ranked on their wait lists, but you can't find out your ranking until April 15, so if you have admission offers from other schools I would take them.

Thanks for the explanation

I'm OOS, it sucks we cant see where on the list we're at...

I'm OOS, it sucks we cant see where on the list we're at...

There are a lot of things tech does that aren't very logical, at least in terms of their admission process.

alternate OOS for me as well! :(

Last edited:
MD alternate. Does anyone know how much the MD list typically moves?