Volk 25D or Digital Clearfield?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all! I'm in the market for a new BIO lens. I was trained on a 20D lens, but I don't feel like my BIO is as successful as it could be. I have super small hands and am pretty short, which makes the 20D sometimes difficult to wield. I used a 25D on my patients this week and loved it. However, they don't let me use that on NBEOIII. But they DO offer the Volk Digital Clearfield. It has a similar working distance as the 25D and similar mag. Does anyone have any experience with the Digital Clearfield that would like to offer their insight? Even better if you've used both and have something to say about them!

Oh ya, and of course I've already looked up the specs on the Volk website. So I'm not asking for like...differences in specifications, but rather personal opinions on the use of the lenses.

Thanks!

ETA: The retail price for the 25D is $267 and the Digital Clearfield is $340

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally think the Clearfield is terrible. I was able to demo one, and I would get wicked reflections along the mid periphery of the condensing lens. Terrible.

I agree that the 2.2 is the way to go, BUT the lens is a little larger in size than a 20D, so if size is your determining factor, then it's not the way to go.

I would just use the 20D lens exclusively until you are done with boards, then move on to whatever you please.