volunteer entering med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cambodiapcv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated with a biology degree in 2010 and have been volunteering for the peace corps as a community health eduator for the past 2 years. I graduated with a degree in biology, receieved a gpa of 3.69 cumulitive, and a science gpa of slightly lower around 3.62. I completed an honors thesis and graduated with honors from my univeristy. I did severeal clubs, researched in an immunology lab, and volunteered at the hospital for all 4 years at college. My mcat scores were very poor when I first took the exam, but I am studying again and plan on doing much better.

Being on the other side of the world it makes it rather hard to investigate schools I should apply to this coming year. I was thinking I would apply to all the schools in pennsylvania (my home state), NYU, UC San Fransisco, Georgetwon, George Washington, University of Maryland, and one in Boston. Am I far reaching or should I be looking at better schools? I want to work with Doctors Without Borders eventually so would it even be worth it to go to an expensive school?

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is going to determine where you are competitive, so wait until you take it to decide what schools to apply. As of right now, I'd say you're not competitive at any of the schools on your list if your mcat is crap.

Your GPA is ok, so just get the MCAT and go from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I graduated with a biology degree in 2010 and have been volunteering for the peace corps as a community health eduator for the past 2 years. I graduated with a degree in biology, receieved a gpa of 3.69 cumulitive, and a science gpa of slightly lower around 3.62. I completed an honors thesis and graduated with honors from my univeristy. I did severeal clubs, researched in an immunology lab, and volunteered at the hospital for all 4 years at college. My mcat scores were very poor when I first took the exam, but I am studying again and plan on doing much better.

Being on the other side of the world it makes it rather hard to investigate schools I should apply to this coming year. I was thinking I would apply to all the schools in pennsylvania (my home state), NYU, UC San Fransisco, Georgetwon, George Washington, University of Maryland, and one in Boston. Am I far reaching or should I be looking at better schools? I want to work with Doctors Without Borders eventually so would it even be worth it to go to an expensive school?
Download this google.doc spreadsheet data (an SDN collaborative effort from 5/11), so you can fill in your own (projected) stats, and it will tell you for which US med schools you’re competitive with different MCAT outcome scenarios. Next look at the in-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school for “fit,” removing any from your list that take more than 85% in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

Also, for $15, you can buy an on-line version of the MSAR: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

I echo Catalystik's point about the MSAR. That was an indispensable tool for me while I was trying to decide schools to apply to. It also puts all the information about a schools demographics, deadlines etc.. in one central location making it easier to find that information. Totally worth the money I spent on it.

Thanks for that link to the spread sheet on medical school matriculation data... it really helps to see all of the statistics in one place like that. I think I have a pretty good shot at some of the pennsylvania md schools like hershey and temple, but for now I will have to just wait for my mcat which I will be taking at the end of may (in kuala lumpur, malaysia!!!).