Volunteer Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravens18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying to med school, do they only count volunteer hours done while in undergrad? I'm an incoming college freshman but I already have 140 documented hospital volunteer hours from my senior year of high school when I was 17. Also, would volunteering every summer for 70+ hours at a hospital generally be considered enough volunteer work?

Members don't see this ad.

I typically heard that high school volunteer work doesn't really count unless you have special circumstances, someone correct me if I am wrong. Like for instance, I graduated high school with my AA degree so I was technically an undergrad student starting in 10th grade so I did include high school stuff.

But I guess you could maybe include if you also do a lot of college work too. & That's a decent amount of hours but also squeeze in shadowing and other stuff too. Also, it depends on what you would be doing at the hospital like if you are at a desk (like I was) or interacting with patients. You definitely need some type of paid/volunteer work interacting with patients.

I volunteered last summer in the emergency room. I did things such as taking patient's vital signs, cleaning beds, stocking shelves, assisting doctors/nurses with basis tasks (such as running a sample over to blood work for tests) etc.. This summer I may be in the ICU or ER again. And yeah I'll keep in mind to shadow as well. Actually I've already done some of that but how do I go about documenting those hours as I haven't? And can I say for example, "I've been volunteering at a hospital every summer since I was 17? (which counts that one year of high school).

Members don't see this ad :)
High school activities can be included if they are continued into college.

Even if you didn't continue it into college, you can include it (nothing specifically forbids it), but you should also have more recent clinical experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
When listing volunteer and shadowing hours, is the whole thing based on an honor code system?

When listing volunteer and shadowing hours, is the whole thing based on an honor code system?

Yes, it's based on the honor code. Some level of hours embellishment is considered acceptable, usually when it comes to rounding numbers like volunteering 297 hours, and saying you volunteered 300. Maybe volunteering 270 hours and saying you volunteered 300 is also acceptable for some. No one has ever officially drawn the line. I wouldn't lie, but if you fudge your numbers a little, only boost them as much as what allows you to sleep at night. Don't do anything stupid. Getting caught lying on the honor system has severe consequences!

Got it, thanks you guys for the help

High school activities can be included if they are continued into college.

Even if you didn't continue it into college, you can include it (nothing specifically forbids it), but you should also have more recent clinical experiences.

What about volunteering at a different hospital? I've volunteered 500+ hours in high school at one hospital near my high school, but now I'm volunteering at a different hospital. Should I still include them?

What about volunteering at a different hospital? I've volunteered 500+ hours in high school at one hospital near my high school, but now I'm volunteering at a different hospital. Should I still include them?

If you feel it was a really significant and relevant activity toward your interest in medicine, then sure, but just be sure to have clinical volunteering in college too. Don't rely on the HS hours to carry your application.