Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Volunteering Abroad

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by lisatran90, 10.19.09.

1. Thanks to Crack the OAT
  1. lisatran90

lisatran90

Pre-Optometry

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hello, Does anyone have any programs that allow you to volunteer abroad? All I see right now is Unite For Sight.
    Also, would you recommend volunteering abroad? I heard for the medical field everyone does it so it doesn't really matter. Would you recommend doing it? It's usually $2000+. Thanks!
  2. mshea413

mshea413

Pre-Optometry
    I volunteered through VOSH on a trip to Nicaragua a few years ago but I don't think the group I went with needs anymore volunteers at the present time. There might be other VOSH missions that you could look into.
  3. mshea413

mshea413

Pre-Optometry
    heres a link to the website http://www.vosh.org/
  4. Himal Kandel

Himal Kandel

Optometry Student
    hi!
    I would also like to organize Student-exchange programs for optometry students. I am in the Student's union of our medical college. We have exchange programs for other faculties like MBBS in our college. I would like such program for Optometry students as well. Please give me some ideas how to do it....

Himal Kandel
    Treasurer
    Free Students' Union
    Institute of Medicine
    TU Nepal
  5. optschoolbnd

optschoolbnd SCO c/o 2014

Pre-Optometry

Lisatran90,

I highly recommend volunteering with Unite for Sight!!! I did so this past summer in Orissa, India and had an incredible experience. Yes, it will be very expensive for the plane ticket; however, the experience is definitely worth it and is a fantastic topic to talk about during optometry school interviews. You will learn so much about optometry and get a firsthand look at the medical system present in a developing country.
  6. scholarbees

scholarbees

Other Health Professions Student
    Which country are you interested in?
  7. alicepops

alicepops

i had a great experience volunteering through Projects Abroad in Sri Lanka. I met fellow volunteers who were on their Medical placement and they speak so highly about it. check them out.

good luck x
  8. lisatran90

lisatran90

Pre-Optometry
    I feel that volunteering is so cliche if I were to speak about it at an interview. Would it beneficial though?
  9. xmattODx

xmattODx Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    What do you want to accomplish by volunteering overseas?
  10. alex3047

alex3047

Volunteering abroad immerses you in another culture as you live and work among the local people and become a part of their community. You’ll make lasting friendships and connect on a personal level with people you might otherwise never have the chance to meet. And you will still have plenty of free time to explore your fascinating host country.
  11. nc2tarheels

nc2tarheels

Optometry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I checked into it. I really wanted to do something like this, but coming up with that amount of money was extremely hard for me. If you were to do something like this, I would think that it'd be considered a LOCK for getting in (as long as you have avg OAT and GPA scores).
  12. CN2

CN2

Pre-Optometry
    I was just wondering how one goes about signing up for missions in VOSH. After filling out the application form, what is the next process in actually applying to specific missions? The missions listed on the VOSH site have the date, place, and an email address. Do I send an email and let VOSH know the missions I am interested in? Any clarification will be greatly appreciated in this matter. Thank you.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal