Volunteering advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on starting to volunteer/shadow next semester and was just wondering how much volunteering I should do.
#1. Is once a week for a few hours okay or should I go in multiple times?

I understand the more you do is better but I have a heavy load this semester w/ a tight schedule. I also plan on shadowing different doctors at different types of practices.

I'm also not too clear about the etiquette behind asking for a rec:

#2. After how much volunteering is it okay to ask an optometrist to write you a rec/ what should I be doing to build more of a relationship with the optometrist in order for them to be able to write the rec for me?
#3. Can I ask a doctor who I've just shadowed a few times to write me a req?

Please answer all my questions!! Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I went in a few hours at a time. If it's a private practice sometimes they aren't there all the time either so i'll call ahead if they don't have a set schedule and drop by for a few hours or so and just observe them with the patient if the patient is fine with it.
The recommendation I had was actually from a doc that I only shadowed a few times(2-3 days for a few hours each day). She was a very wonderful person and I felt closest to her even though I had seen other docs in other locations already for longer periods of time. I think you should just ask the one that you feel the most comfortable with.
Also, overall I didn't even have much "volunteering" time since I really didn't do anything in the office, I just observed and in total probably had 40~60 hours? I initially did it just to make sure that I was interested in the profession. Good luck!!

1) Yes. They understand you have work/school/kids

2) Most know that you need a rec letter. They went through the same thing. Some offer to write one before you even ask. After a few sessions (lets say 7-10 full work days), be upfront with them and simply say "Would you be able to write a recommendation letter for me?". No point beating around the bush and no point being shy about it. Honest and straightforward makes it easy for both of you.

3) Yes. Quality over quantity. Don't ask to leave early when you come shadow. Try to do full days when you can. Be polite and ask questions when genuinely interested. Help when you can but don't over-step your jurisdiction. Treat the front desk respectfully and ask them how they're doing and what they do.