Volunteering at an Oral Surgeons office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entdreams47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pre-med, and want to go to medical school, but one of the best long-term volunteer opportunities available to me right now is volunteering and shadowing in an oral and maxillofacial surgeons' office? Would this raise questions to admissions committees (i.e. why didnt you go to dental school?) I decided pretty late in the game I wanted to apply to medical school and am trying to be ready for next cycle. I've shadowed in the emergency room, and for a plastic surgeon pretty regularly, as well as held an internship w/ sports medicine, and a few abroad medical charity trips, but I think I definitely need more hours and am trying to squeeze it all in. Thoughts on taking this opportunity!?

Members don't see this ad.

Why does an oral surgeon need a volunteer? It isn't a charity clinic is it? I do see people volunteer in for -profit businesses but it is usually because they are helping out in a family business.

Call it shadowing, not volunteering. Compare and contrast oral surgery with your experiences in medical settings and decide which to pursue. I interviewed someone who worked in her dad's dental office but ended up applying to med school and she had a very good "why medicine" response. It's not a deal breaker if you take it for what it is but I would not consider it volunteering -- that should be service to the needy through not-for-profit organizations.

Reactions: 1 user