Volunteering at VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrJosh9788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever volunteered at a VA hospital? Good experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I used to work at a VA (in a non-medical position) and I can say that we had a TON of volunteers rolling around. I loved the atmosphere of the hospital, not because it was an awesome place physically (think 1960s bomb-proof) but because everyone was so committed to the same kind of core values of serving veterans. Also, hands down it had the NICEST people (in all departments, from chiefs of department on down to janitors) working there, I'm sure because the ppl that work there actually want to be there. I would say go for it, for sure.

awesome....what was your position?

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked at the VA over the summer, as a vascular tissue researcher. It was an awesome experience. I also had the opportunity to shadow several pulmonologist (physicans, residents, and medical students). The atmosphere was great, less pressure than any other hospitals I've visited or worked at.

continuing medical education coordinator! so...all those cme credits that doctors needed to keep their licenses rolled through me first! so I got to meet with a ton of doctors and hospital admins, coordinating conferences and grand rounds and stuff but overall it was fairly boring (tons and tons of paperwork). good luck volunteering! the VA is definitely more laid back than other hospitals. :luck: