Volunteering/EC activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeshymae

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is any advise on this from nontraditional students who have a family like kids and a spouse?
Since my undergraduate degree is going to be Kinesiology, I am doing volunteer work with the YMCA and other youth sports programs because my children do sports and I can also spend it with them while being their coach (win win for everyone) I am just worried this might not count or be enough.
With school and being a parent/wife and working i would like to know what type of EC and volunteering you guys did that fit that busy lifestyle.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering if there is any advise on this from nontraditional students who have a family like kids and a spouse?
Since my undergraduate degree is going to be Kinesiology, I am doing volunteer work with the YMCA and other youth sports programs because my children do sports and I can also spend it with them while being their coach (win win for everyone) I am just worried this might not count or be enough.
With school and being a parent/wife and working i would like to know what type of EC and volunteering you guys did that fit that busy lifestyle.

Your volunteer work with the YMCA would count as non-clinical volunteering. It's good for medical school admissions, but you do want clinical experience (work or volunteer as a scribe, at a hospital, anywhere where you would have contact or talk with patients) and shadowing in addition to that.
You could continue volunteering at the Y so you can see your children, but you may have to find a time where you can volunteer in the clinical setting too. I admire how parents can manage their time with their kids and be pre-med or study medicine because it is tough!

Reactions: 1 user

My daughter was born in my senior year of college. I stayed in school at least part time (during grad school it was full time), post-bacc was part time. I also worked 60 hours a week or more depending on the year. I had medical volunteering in an ED at 4/wk. My non-medical was volunteering for a space education non-profit at 10/wk. That was birth to age 6. When she was 7, she moved to my mother's and I really started picking up the pace with everything.

Time management is the thing, I didn't even list the work I was doing with my daughter's school.