Volunteering for Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have a quick question! When applying for vet school, how do they know that you actually volunteered/worked for [x] many hours at a shelter, clinic, lab...etc? Are you required to turn in a sheet of paper or whatever that is signed by the person you volunteered for? Like a sheet that says how many hours you volunteered there for that is signed by a vet, shelter manager... etc? I'm volunteering for the first time at an animal shelter in a couple of days and I'm not sure if I need to bring them a sheet for them to sign...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!

I have a quick question! When applying for vet school, how do they know that you actually volunteered/worked for [x] many hours at a shelter, clinic, lab...etc? Are you required to turn in a sheet of paper or whatever that is signed by the person you volunteered for? Like a sheet that says how many hours you volunteered there for that is signed by a vet, shelter manager... etc? I'm volunteering for the first time at an animal shelter in a couple of days and I'm not sure if I need to bring them a sheet for them to sign...
No, you don't turn in a sheet or anything. You just put down how many hours you did, some of your responsibilities, and your supervisor's contact info.

Hi guys!

For shadowing hours, I personally had them fill out a sheet each time (it was a form from a Cornell pre-vet program that I just photocopied a bunch of times). For me, it was more so i could keep track of my hours then anything else (since when you are working, you can just check your time sheets). But agreed with what WZ said, you don't have to turn anything in or anything like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will probably have a way to keep track of it there, for insurance and record-keeping purposes. A lot of places that rely heavily on volunteers also have a reward system in place based on the number of hours you volunteer.

I kept track of my hours on an app on my phone. You just hit a button when you get there, and again when you leave, and it tracks your hours. You can also set up several different jobs and it will track the hours separately for all of them. I also kept a notebook with me to write down how to do things, observations, and things I wanted to look up or ask about later.

They will probably have a way to keep track of it there, for insurance and record-keeping purposes. A lot of places that rely heavily on volunteers also have a reward system in place based on the number of hours you volunteer.

I kept track of my hours on an app on my phone. You just hit a button when you get there, and again when you leave, and it tracks your hours. You can also set up several different jobs and it will track the hours separately for all of them. I also kept a notebook with me to write down how to do things, observations, and things I wanted to look up or ask about later.

I wish I had gotten that 5 years ago!! I'm just gonna end up going from memory....

Do you remember what app that was? It sounds like I would find it really useful!