Volunteering in Africa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilinky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:)
I'm new as a poster- but I've been keeping up with this forum for quite a few months. I am currently working on receiving a second Bachlor's degree, in Biology, to pick up all those pre requisites, I didn't take the first time around, before I apply to Vet School. I am also planning my volunteer schedule and wanted to ask everyone if they knew of anyone who has volunteered at a wildlife sanctuary or wildlife Rescue clinic in Africa.
I have been researching this and it really seems like a great opportunity but you have to pay to go. It's not fraudulant or anything. It's just that the African governments take employment very seriously- they don't want kids coming into their countries and taking paying jobs away from the citizens. The money you pay is used for your food, housing, transpotation, etc. It also provides donations to the places you are volunteering at as well as many African AIDS charities. The amount of exposure to a stunning array of wildlife is really unable to be matched here in the US. I am very interested in exotic animal medicine but all the vets I know are small animal practitioners and can't give me any feedback about these types of programs.
The other question I had was how do U.S.Vets Schools look at this kind of volunteering? Is it considered actual volunteering? Is still usable on your application? Is it looked upon favorably or not?
Hope you guys can help:) :)

Members don't see this ad.

lilinky said:
Hi:)
I'm new as a poster- but I've been keeping up with this forum for quite a few months. I am currently working on receiving a second Bachlor's degree, in Biology, to pick up all those pre requisites, I didn't take the first time around, before I apply to Vet School. I am also planning my volunteer schedule and wanted to ask everyone if they knew of anyone who has volunteered at a wildlife sanctuary or wildlife Rescue clinic in Africa.
I have been researching this and it really seems like a great opportunity but you have to pay to go. It's not fraudulant or anything. It's just that the African governments take employment very seriously- they don't want kids coming into their countries and taking paying jobs away from the citizens. The money you pay is used for your food, housing, transpotation, etc. It also provides donations to the places you are volunteering at as well as many African AIDS charities. The amount of exposure to a stunning array of wildlife is really unable to be matched here in the US. I am very interested in exotic animal medicine but all the vets I know are small animal practitioners and can't give me any feedback about these types of programs.
The other question I had was how do U.S.Vets Schools look at this kind of volunteering? Is it considered actual volunteering? Is still usable on your application? Is it looked upon favorably or not?
Hope you guys can help:) :)
I wonder if the organization can get you in touch with past participants. I only know of one person that did this (they were in vet school at the time). She seemed to regret it because she felt more like and observer than actually getting hands on work. I am sure that doing this will be a good thing for applying, as vet schools tend to like unique experiences.

Disclaimer: I have never done this myself. I am only relaying one persons experience.