Volunteering in the Fall.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acslater99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Long story short, I can't volunteer this summer in my local hospital because of a teen program that is occurring. So the only thing I can do now is wait until the Fall so I can volunteer. The reason I really do no want to volunteer in the Fall is because obviously I will be going to school and I'll be doing 20 credits in the Fall semester. And I will also be working part time.

I guess my question is, is it doable to do all of that and still stay sane and maintain good grades. I have a 4.0 so far and I will hate to jeopardize that because of volunteering. Yes I know that sounds stupid to say but that's how I feel.

I will be transferring to a university after the spring semester, should I wait till then to volunteer? It does have a bigger hospital and more opportunities. The problem there is that if I do wait till then I won't have any hours in shadowing or volunteering. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Just volunteer 4 hours/week on the weekend. Take an early shift so you can be productive for the rest of the day. If you really need to study during that shift, try to get a position where you're not actively volunteering. If you have more of a passive position you may find opportunities to read your textbook while volunteering.

Long story short, I can't volunteer this summer in my local hospital because of a teen program that is occurring. So the only thing I can do now is wait until the Fall so I can volunteer. The reason I really do no want to volunteer in the Fall is because obviously I will be going to school and I'll be doing 20 credits in the Fall semester. And I will also be working part time.

I guess my question is, is it doable to do all of that and still stay sane and maintain good grades. I have a 4.0 so far and I will hate to jeopardize that because of volunteering. Yes I know that sounds stupid to say but that's how I feel.

I will be transferring to a university after the spring semester, should I wait till then to volunteer? It does have a bigger hospital and more opportunities. The problem there is that if I do wait till then I won't have any hours in shadowing or volunteering. Any help is appreciated.
Consider looking into other venues for summer volunteering, like a hospice, skilled-level nursing home, rehab center, or clinic (VA, family-planning, low-income, etc). You might also consider some nonmedical community service for a separate organization: Boys and Girls Club, Meals on Wheels, Habitat for Humanity, Scouts, Humane Society, coaching a sport, tutoring on an instrument, or teaching ESL at the community center, for example.

Reactions: 1 user