Volunteering multi step question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its that time to start volunteering and helping more people.

1. For volunteering how do you clock it in for your application.
1B.Is it verified?
1C. Also how many slots can you enter for different volunteer titles.

2.What kind of volunteering have you done?

3.What is a good amount of hours for volunteering?

4.Also is volunteering as a T.A. beneficial?

I need these questions answered, if you cant answer all of them do not reply.:=|:-):
Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is no "it's that time to start helping people," it's a continuous adventure of helping people. I'm disappointed in you :(

Reactions: 1 users
I need these questions answered, if you cant answer all of them do not reply.:=|:-):
Thank You

Yikes....

1. Keep track of it yourself, not verified (but if you lie, that makes you kind of scummy), you get 10 slots for all extracurricular/volunteer activities and 175 characters to describe
2. Lots of stuff, both inside and outside of a clinical setting
3. I have a few hundred. I'd say you want as much as possible. Minimum 100 hours
4. Probably not as beneficial as other stuff, but I don't think it would hurt you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no "it's that time to start helping people," it's a continuous adventure of helping people. I'm disappointed in you :(

P.S. I have helped people, but now I need an official way of documenting my benevolence for dental school.

Yikes....

1. Keep track of it yourself, not verified (but if you lie, that makes you kind of scummy), you get 10 slots for all extracurricular/volunteer activities and 175 characters to describe
2. Lots of stuff, both inside and outside of a clinical setting
3. I have a few hundred. I'd say you want as much as possible. Minimum 100 hours
4. Probably not as beneficial as other stuff, but I don't think it would hurt you
Out of curiosity since you have a few hundred, this question isnt really just met only for you I suppose. However, is it not uncommon for applicants to clock in 1,2,3,4,5, or even 10 hours more in the grand total of hours since it isnt verified. I know people cheat on exams or quizzes, so I wouldnt be surprised if people clocked a few extra hours justifying it for themselves. That would be kind of scummy. What do you think?

Out of curiosity since you have a few hundred, this question isnt really just met only for you I suppose. However, is it not uncommon for applicants to clock in 1,2,3,4,5, or even 10 hours more in the grand total of hours since it isnt verified. I know people cheat on exams or quizzes, so I wouldnt be surprised if people clocked a few extra hours justifying it for themselves. That would be kind of scummy. What do you think?
You're asking if I think lying on an application to a professional school is scummy? Yes I do.

People might add a few extra hours right?
Your curiosity is understandable, but you're setting yourself up to be disappointed here. You're thirsty for honesty about dishonesty, you're deciding whether to take a risk purely based on whether other people are taking it (the opposite of being a professional), and you're literally saying "interact with me the way I want to be interacted with."

I've only been pre-dental for a little over a year. In that time I've gotten about 20 hours as a volunteer musician at a local hospital, 30 hours at a dental clinic cleaning operatories, and about 80 hours between a few teaching activities. Those teaching activities got kicked off by randomly accepting a professor's request that I be a learning assistant in his lecture... that led to several invaluable experiences I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I really enjoyed teaching science, learned a great deal, and it will probably be related to the employment I seek during my coming gap year.

So log every hour you spend, but no more. Anything on your application is "verifiable" if someone feels like spending 5 mins making a phone call. Each organization will log your hours differently, and all you need to do is keep your own log that isn't too different from theirs in case someone somewhere decides to check up on you. Also, find a relevancy to each of your volunteer gigs---both for your own growth's sake and for the sake of your interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your curiosity is understandable, but you're setting yourself up to be disappointed here. You're thirsty for honesty about dishonesty, you're deciding whether to take a risk purely based on whether other people are taking it (the opposite of being a professional), and you're literally saying "interact with me the way I want to be interacted with."

I've only been pre-dental for a little over a year. In that time I've gotten about 20 hours as a volunteer musician at a local hospital, 30 hours at a dental clinic cleaning operatories, and about 80 hours between a few teaching activities. Those teaching activities got kicked off by randomly accepting a professor's request that I be a learning assistant in his lecture... that led to several invaluable experiences I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I really enjoyed teaching science, learned a great deal, and it will probably be related to the employment I seek during my coming gap year.

So log every hour you spend, but no more. Anything on your application is "verifiable" if someone feels like spending 5 mins making a phone call. Each organization will log your hours differently, and all you need to do is keep your own log that isn't too different from theirs in case someone somewhere decides to check up on you. Also, find a relevancy to each of your volunteer gigs---both for your own growth's sake and for the sake of your interviews.
I wasnt deciding to do anything of the sort. Im just curious, and I've got my answer. I like to see how people will respond on these ethical dilemmas, but do not mistake my curiosity for indulging myself in these wrong actions. Thanks for the response beautiful.

Its that time to start volunteering and helping more people.

1. For volunteering how do you clock it in for your application. I have an excel sheet
1B.Is it verified? by your own honesty
1C. Also how many slots can you enter for different volunteer titles. answered above

2.What kind of volunteering have you done? lots--free dental clinic, service groups on campus, Habitat, church groups

3.What is a good amount of hours for volunteering? 200-2000+

4.Also is volunteering as a T.A. beneficial? probably but it depends on your school if they let you

Thank You

Actually, it's too late to start for your application. Doing so now just looks like you will be padding your application, but without the hours, that is a negative on your application as well

Sorry for not answering all the questions, it seems like others have. I just had a comment about question 4... My school treats TA roles as jobs with pay, so if that's the case at your school as well and you were paid a stipend or hourly wage, then don't put this under volunteering. Probably obvious but just thought I'd point it out in case there was any confusion about this!

Sorry for not answering all the questions, it seems like others have. I just had a comment about question 4... My school treats TA roles as jobs with pay, so if that's the case at your school as well and you were paid a stipend or hourly wage, then don't put this under volunteering. Probably obvious but just thought I'd point it out in case there was any confusion about this!
We have the option to get research credit, or volunteer

Actually, it's too late to start for your application. Doing so now just looks like you will be padding your application, but without the hours, that is a negative on your application as well
Im applying next year, beautiful