Other OT-Related Information Volunteering OT Places

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are the best settings for volunteering an OT?

• OT volunteer settings

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • OT volunteer hours

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Flipchick312

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best settings to volunteer an OT? Lately, it has been rough getting into a hospital setting. If I don't have any hospital experience, does that make me have a less chance getting into an OT school? and roughly how many hours is best to have to be accepted to an OT school?

Members don't see this ad.

I struggled to find places to observe at also! I am at a rehab hospital right now. I have about 50 hours across 2 places right now. Some schools say they don't look beyond the number of hours they require....so if they require 20 and you did 120, it doesn't make you look better than the person who did 20 hrs.

Check around at pediatric clinics and also try to shadow at a nursing home

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it VERY IMPORTANT to get a HOSPITAL setting though? Because I know for PT, even though your gpa is good, but you didn't get a hospital setting, they were not accepted -__-

I guess that depends on where you are applying, I observed at 2 school settings, 2 peds clinics, and assisted living facility and an skilled nursing facility and I got off the wait list and am starting UTMB this week. (I was wait listed twice and was super bummed out about that until they said today during orientation that they get 600-800 applicants for 60 spots...I got lucky this year and got off the list). Post where you are applying and maybe some ppl who got accepted there can tell you about their observation

I guess that depends on where you are applying, I observed at 2 school settings, 2 peds clinics, and assisted living facility and an skilled nursing facility and I got off the wait list and am starting UTMB this week. (I was wait listed twice and was super bummed out about that until they said today during orientation that they get 600-800 applicants for 60 spots...I got lucky this year and got off the list). Post where you are applying and maybe some ppl who got accepted there can tell you about their observation

Shannon,

Would you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks!

Sure, both my cumulative and prereq GPA are the same (kinda weird, I know), 3.87 - all A's in prereqs and one B in stats. Slightly over 500 observation hours (but I really don't think for UTMB this matters, the purpose of the observation is to be able to show that you have some understanding of what OT is). I was also a service learning leader and a peer advisor while an undergrad and I nannied for a family with 2 special needs little kiddos.

Sure, both my cumulative and prereq GPA are the same (kinda weird, I know), 3.87 - all A's in prereqs and one B in stats. Slightly over 500 observation hours (but I really don't think for UTMB this matters, the purpose of the observation is to be able to show that you have some understanding of what OT is). I was also a service learning leader and a peer advisor while an undergrad and I nannied for a family with 2 special needs little kiddos.

Thanks! I'm worried about my GPA cause it's low, but I have and will get more experience this coming year. Does UTMB look strictly at GPA and can you get accepted without having all your pre-reqs finished (like one or two left).

Thanks! I'm worried about my GPA cause it's low, but I have and will get more experience this coming year. Does UTMB look strictly at GPA and can you get accepted without having all your pre-reqs finished (like one or two left).

To add..I am a kinesiology major so I was wondering if you knew if they would accept me without having to complete the human movement pre-req? (since that's pretty much what kinesiology is) haha. I also haven't completed the neurological pre-req.

You can apply without having all the prereqs finished, but they do need to be finished this year by July before starting in August. GPA isn't super important to them but we're really not sure how they select ppl. Just try! You never know what might happen!

Reactions: 1 user
You can apply without having all the prereqs finished, but they do need to be finished this year by July before starting in August. GPA isn't super important to them but we're really not sure how they select ppl. Just try! You never know what might happen!

Thank you for your input!