Volunteering unrelated to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anyusernamenottaken

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for Volunteering opportunities that I would actually enjoy opposed to the typical "I answered phones in the ER kind of stuff".

I recently starting volunteering as a freshman football coach for highschool students. I know it is rather out of the box, but I do actually enjoy it. Would admissions be satisfied with this type of volunteering? Or does it need to be more closely related to medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been looking for Volunteering opportunities that I would actually enjoy opposed to the typical "I answered phones in the ER kind of stuff".

I recently starting volunteering as a freshman football coach for highschool students. I know it is rather out of the box, but I do actually enjoy it. Would admissions be satisfied with this type of volunteering? Or does it need to be more closely related to medicine.

Many threads on this, but the gist is that your non-clinical and clinical volunteering should balance. So, good stuff! You can also coach for the Special Olympics if you dig coaching cool people.

Reactions: 1 user
I was a youth baseball coach, it was awesome. Do whatever you enjoy

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We look for displays of altruism, and service to others is excellent. Not everything has to be related to Medicine. What especially appeals to me is service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
As Goro mentioned, altruism is highly valued, but I think that your personal growth is also important. You can be engaged in an activity that no other applicant has done before, but if you haven't learned anything from it, then it was a pointless activity. As a football coach for high schoolers, you are providing guidance to younger generations. In essence, that is what you will be doing as a physician. To answer your question, I think admissions will be "satisfied" with this activity as long as you can show that it had some sort of impact on you.

Last edited:
Whatever makes you happy, helps you grow as a person, and displays leadership/altruism/etc will be good for your app. Just don't think you can get away without getting clinical exposure as well.

yeah thats my next part of my application i need to bring up...I have about 16 hrs of MD shadowing and about 30 of CRNA shadowing just to get in the OR and planning on becoming a scribe my last year

yeah thats my next part of my application i need to bring up...I have about 16 hrs of MD shadowing and about 30 of CRNA shadowing just to get in the OR and planning on becoming a scribe my last year
Do more shadowing. Be able to answer the "why medicine" question. I would worry much less if your volunteering is "clinical" enough if you can adequately tell people why you want to be a doctor. Taking part in volunteerism you enjoy will give you much more to talk about and make you seem like a much more interesting person.