Volunteering with underserved?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpieLIFE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Try medical missions in a 3rd world nation where people do not have easy access to health care. I did it for several weeks over 3 summers and it just got me an II at UCLA. Just make sure you go with credible organizations and actually do something meaningful (Do not do medical tourism which medical missions is often associated with). Mine was at a surgery clinic and a hospital where I was able to assist in surgeries and work in medical brigades in local villages.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would constitute as volunteering with the "underserved" ? Volunteering at a homeless shelter? Or free clinic? Or free clinic that predominantly serves a particular race?
Does that phrase typically mean something more along the lines of socio-economic status or ethnically underserved?

Any population which is not adequately served in your area. A free clinic sounds like a wonderful way to volunteer with the underserved.

Any population which is not adequately served in your area. A free clinic sounds like a wonderful way to volunteer with the underserved.

Yep, there are plenty of people in just about any city, including in the USA without adequate access to healthcare: the poor, people with certain disabilities, people with certain illnesses or mental illnesses, many transgender people, some LGB people, perhaps certain ethnic groups, homeless youth (regardless of family of origin), some victims of domestic violence or abuse, etc.

I'm not sure if certain ADCOMs have favorites or a list of acceptable "underserved" groups. If they do, I suspect that the homeless shelter and free clinic would be on there. They seem to be the most popular gigs.

Reactions: 1 user