Volunteers at Major Retailers (CVS, WAGS, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikebreen69

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are prepharms allowed to volunteer with pharmacists in places like CVS or Wags? Just curious because of the laws and whatnot

Members don't see this ad.

I can't think of any laws other than HIPAA that prevent it. But this can be circumvented by the same forms and disclaimers that allow volunteers in hospitals or physician shadowing programs.

That being said, I have never seen a volunteer/shadowing mentee in a retail pharmacy. It's probably a loss prevention issue mostly. Not to mention the fact that most of the large retail pharmacies are so busy that a volunteer would be more in the way than any help.

It most likely will be a company policy issue such as lost prevention, liability, damages. But as long you sign HIPAA compliance and registered as a tech with the state board of pharmacy, it might be possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
My aunt works at a retail pharmacy and says she tells students all the time to find volunteer positions in retail pharmacies-I didn't know that, but it seems like you would have to go and ask each pharmacy individually because some people may be more willing to have you take on that role than others. I have tried this in hospital pharmacies, but they didn't seem like they want volunteers due to HIPPA violations. I worked 60 extra hours at Target after I completed my APPE there because I had 2-3 weeks of a break before starting my next rotation because they knew me by then and needed the help as there was a tech there who was still training. If you can try to get volunteering (if that is the best thing you got if finding a job is hard), I say go for it. I didn't have any job experience during school and now I graduated and feel pretty upset about it. Experience builds your confidence in getting the job after school, makes you a more viable candidate to get a job or getting experience for residency.

Are prepharms allowed to volunteer with pharmacists in places like CVS or Wags? Just curious because of the laws and whatnot

A friend at high level of Human Resources Department at chain pharmacy told me that chain can not have volunteer because of liability reasons.

I support you in getting familiar with pharmacy. So..............I will share with you how to get paid while learning at pharmacy.
In summary, I am trying to save you 15 thousand dollars. How?
Please look around this forum for keyword ptcb and read all the details about ptcb or go to web site www.ptcb.org.
You can learn to be pharmacy technician at career college for 15 thousand dollars and 9 months.
You can learn to be pharmacy technician at home for 100 dollars and 2 weeks. I passed the test and many passed it, as many as 400 thousands people passed the test so far.

Good luck.

So basically am I supposed to apply as a certified pharm tech to get an exposure in a pharm setting?
Also some of my questions may seem stupid here but forgive me really because Im still a bit confused.
I applied this year to some hospitals for a volunteer position in pharmacy. Possibly because of liability issues they may not want to offer it though I dont understand why some of them mentioned 'pharmacy' in their volunteer site then. I'm thinking now of local drug store but won't they give me the same answer too if I ask about volunteering or job shadowing?