Vote for President

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vote for President

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 150 52.1%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 138 47.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, no president or politician EVER lied to the American public, shocked I am shocked! Your screen name should be Pollyanna

Sweep sweep sweep.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you understand that it's possibly to be criminally negligent without intending to screw something up?
She didn't intend to screw up even though she was told what to do and not to do and still did what she was told not to do.

Got it. Even kids face harsher punishment at times for screwing up.

Gary ****ing Johnson 4 Prez

She didn't intend to screw up even though she was told what to do and not to do and still did what she was told not to do.

Got it. Even kids face harsher punishment at times for screwing up.

Gary ****ing Johnson 4 Prez

I hear you, and hey, I have libertarian tendencies and I'm a Lutheran so I like Johnson a lot. Unfortunately, a vote for Johnson is a vote taken away from beating Hillary.

I'm voting for Trump for that reason. #NeverHillary

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you, and hey, I have libertarian tendencies and I'm a Lutheran so I like Johnson a lot. Unfortunately, a vote for Johnson is a vote taken away from beating Hillary.

I'm voting for Trump for that reason. #NeverHillary

Unfortunately you're right.
Too bad enough people don't wake and realize that if they actually voted for the best person, ultimately it won't matter and a third party guy could potentially win

Unfortunately you're right.
Too bad enough people don't wake and realize that if they actually voted for the best person, ultimately it won't matter and a third party guy could potentially win

I've been making this argument to family and friends for a few weeks now. Amazing how much resistance there is to even the concept of voting for a third party candidate. I think some of them are finally coming around.

If ever it were to happen, it would be this year. It's a perfect storm. It just might not be perfect enough.

I've been making this argument to family and friends for a few weeks now. Amazing how much resistance there is to even the concept of voting for a third party candidate. I think some of them are finally coming around.

If ever it were to happen, it would be this year. It's a perfect storm. It just might not be perfect enough.

I think they need to start contending at the state level first and can build from there. Hard to just keep injecting themselves into the POTUS election.

Reactions: 1 users
I think they need to start contending at the state level first and can build from there. Hard to just keep injecting themselves into the POTUS election.

2 fold problem:
1. $$$$
2. Organization

Need both. Lots of registered Independents out there, but the Independents need to consolidate. There's Green, Libertarian, etc. Come together. Still goes back to #1. The Donkies and Elephants are a political and economic machine and it took a Trumpian effort to break down the Republican machine.

Lynch meeting Bill followed by her announcement to uphold Comey's recommendations followed by this political circus--anyone who does not think that there was serious orchestration is blind. This has to be the most flagrant corruption of justice at this level in modern times. From the willful destruction of evidence to mishandling classified information--I am shocked that they could so brazenly claim that there was no crime worthy of prosecution committed.

I am humiliated for this country--we have a childish self-absorbed clown and an openly corrupt career politician with even less of a connection to the public than Trump running to lead us. I am voting third party even if it is throwing it away my vote and I think everyone else should too: We need to give the third parties visibility to shut down the corrupt political machine robbing our country of a future.

Lynch meeting Bill followed by her announcement to uphold Comey's recommendations followed by this political circus--anyone who does not think that there was serious orchestration is blind. This has to be the most flagrant corruption of justice at this level in modern times. From the willful destruction of evidence to mishandling classified information--I am shocked that they could so brazenly claim that there was no crime worthy of prosecution committed.

I am humiliated for this country--we have a childish self-absorbed clown and an openly corrupt career politician with even less of a connection to the public than Trump running to lead us. I am voting third party even if it is throwing it away my vote and I think everyone else should too: We need to give the third parties visibility to shut down the corrupt political machine robbing our country of a future.

I would urge you to reconsider. Trump is a buffoon but a 3rd party vote is a vote for Hillary. It's that simple.

Trump is a buffoon but Hillary is pretty much the head of a political crime family and a serial liar.

I would urge you to reconsider. Trump is a buffoon but a 3rd party vote is a vote for Hillary. It's that simple.

Trump is a buffoon but Hillary is pretty much the head of a political crime family and a serial liar.

I might argue a third party vote is a vote for Trump. Republican voters tend to be pretty loyal even if they have a bad candidate. It's usually Democrats that either vote 3rd party or don't vote which tends to lead to Republican wins, i.e. Bush v Gore. Nader got a significant amount of votes in districts that could've swung electoral votes to Gore.

I might argue a third party vote is a vote for Trump. Republican voters tend to be pretty loyal even if they have a bad candidate. It's usually Democrats that either vote 3rd party or don't vote which tends to lead to Republican wins, i.e. Bush v Gore. Nader got a significant amount of votes in districts that could've swung electoral votes to Gore.

Not necessarily. Only reason we know the Clintons is because of Ross Perot. Libertarians will generally pull away fiscal conservatives, which there are plenty of those who oppose Trump's free trade stance.

Well look what the GOP did to itself. If the GOP had nominated a half way decent candidate, this election would have been in the bag. Sorry guys, but I smell another Clinton in the White house.

Members don't see this ad :)
As opposed to people like Trump? He will be credited with single handedly electing Hilary.
Give the rest of the GOP some credit too. We're looking at 3 elections in a row in which their primary objective has been "lose with style" ...

I thought for sure the McCain/Palin circus would hold the crown for longer than 8 years. Trump's taking it to a whole new level.

Reactions: 2 users
Give the rest of the GOP some credit too. We're looking at 3 elections in a row in which their primary objective has been "lose with style" ...

I thought for sure the McCain/Palin circus would hold the crown for longer than 8 years. Trump's taking it to a whole new level.

I gotta agree, just puts me on the edge of my seat for the NEXT go round.

I wasn't alive in 1968, but I CANNOT imagine a more perfect storm for badness then there is around this Republican convention. Both foreign and domestic, the feeling is things are falling apart, and thus candidate has stoked those fears to his benefit. This may be where people let loose some frustration in not helpful ways.

The Cleveland police have a ridiculously difficult job, and they very rightfully have a lot/will have a lot of their own frustrations that hopefully they can control.

I wasn't alive in 1968, but I CANNOT imagine a more perfect storm for badness then there is around this Republican convention. Both foreign and domestic, the feeling is things are falling apart, and thus candidate has stoked those fears to his benefit. This may be where people let loose some frustration in not helpful ways.

The Cleveland police have a ridiculously difficult job, and they very rightfully have a lot/will have a lot of their own frustrations that hopefully they can control.

6 months ago I thought the Rio Olympics would be the biggest train wreck of the summer. Who'd've thought ...

This is go8ng to be a h7ge test for them. The entire city is run on corrupt cRony politics with poor police leadership for years, hopefully they can keep it together when the entire world is watching.

I can't imagine the city will be able to pay out too many police brutality settlements without going the way of Detroit.

Also, this gem: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/17/politics/cleveland-police-baton-rouge-security-open-carry/index.html#

NEW YORK — As he has prepared to be named the Republican nominee for president, Donald Trump has not read any biographies of presidents. He said he would like to someday.

He has no time to read, he said: “I never have. I’m always busy doing a lot. Now I’m more busy, I guess, than ever before.”

He said in a series of interviews that he does not need to read extensively because he reaches the right decisions “with very little knowledge other than the knowledge I [already] had, plus the words ‘common sense,’ because I have a lot of common sense and I have a lot of business ability.”

Trump said he is skeptical of experts because “they can’t see the forest for the trees.” He believes that when he makes decisions, people see that he instinctively knows the right thing to do: “A lot of people said, ‘Man, he was more accurate than guys who have studied it all the time.’ ”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...0645_story.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, a chunk of Melania Trump's speech tonight was plagiarized from Michelle Obama's convention speech

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...blican-convention-speech-plagiarism/87278088/

On the downside, this news will probably overshadow what a bone-chillingly boring fascist ****show the rest of the night was

The Michelle Obama speech was written, by the way, by Hillary's speechwriter.

I think Melania's probably a very nice lady. But you can't be that close to a buffoon and not have a little of it rub off on you.

image.jpeg

On the downside, this news will probably overshadow what a bone-chillingly boring fascist ****show the rest of the night was

That's ironic, considering the fact that the DNC has been the prime example of fascism of late, you know, with all the attempts to silence opposing views.

The Michelle Obama speech was written, by the way, by Hillary's speechwriter.

I think Melania's probably a very nice lady. But you can't be that close to a buffoon and not have a little of it rub off on you.

They did it on purpose so that people are talking about it the next day.

Publicity 101

I'm seeing more and more talk about Johnson on social media by my friends, just nothing in the mainstream media (not that I'm surprised of course). This may be the first election where I vote independent out of principle. Certainly don't want Clinton and just not sure I can bring myself to vote for Trump, even if it would be to just "vote against Clinton".....

They did it on purpose so that people are talking about it the next day.

Publicity 101

No they did not. You want publicity for GOOD things, not controversial things that will detract from your message. Public relations 102.

No they did not. You want publicity for GOOD things, not controversial things that will detract from your message. Public relations 102.

All the papers were comparing one first lady (Michelle), with another first lady (Melania).

They're already getting the customer to imagine the sale (electing Trump).

And more people will tune into the convention speeches. And, they're going to listen and analyze the speeches more closely.

And it also shows the anti-immigrant attitude that Democrats have when they criticize Melania (an immigrant).

It also causes people to reflect on Barack and Michelle's past episodes of plagiarism (like Barack with the Saul Alinsky quotes), showing Democrats as completely hypocritical.

Of course it was intentional.

And finally, I guess you'd be right if Trump lost the primary after saying controversial things.

But, he's actually grown stronger.

He won the Republican nomination.

And he's leading crooked Hillary in the polls.

Ah, LOL, they couldn't even be bothered to repackage the recycled focus-group-tested
All the papers were comparing one first lady (Michelle), with another first lady (Melania).

They're already getting the customer to imagine the sale (electing Trump).

And more people will tune into the convention speeches. And, they're going to listen and analyze the speeches more closely.

And it also shows the anti-immigrant attitude that Democrats have when they criticize Melania (an immigrant).

It also causes people to reflect on Barack and Michelle's past episodes of plagiarism (like Barack with the Saul Alinsky quotes), showing Democrats as completely hypocritical.

Of course it was intentional.

The cognitive dissonance here is just breathtaking. You actually believe these things?

The speech writer screwed up. That's it. There's no grand plan. No politicians - let alone the politicians' spouses - write their own prepared speeches. Melania can't really be blamed because the words chosen by her speech writer were plagiarized.

Politicians tell speech writers, "these are my positions, this is what I want to say, go craft something coherent for me" ... Melania and Trump probably totally agreed with the sentiments in the speech. But they rely on their staff workers to not screw up.

This time, they screwed up.

This plagiarism, committed by a speech writer, isn't evidence that either Donald or Melania are dishonest. It's just evidence of their incompetence in hiring capable people and running a professional campaign. It's amateur hour.

Ah, LOL, they couldn't even be bothered to repackage the recycled focus-group-tested

The cognitive dissonance here is just breathtaking. You actually believe these things?

The speech writer screwed up. That's it. There's no grand plan. No politicians - let alone the politicians' spouses - write their own prepared speeches. Melania can't really be blamed because the words chosen by her speech writer were plagiarized.

Politicians tell speech writers, "these are my positions, this is what I want to say, go craft something coherent for me" ... Melania and Trump probably totally agreed with the sentiments in the speech. But they rely on their staff workers to not screw up.

This time, they screwed up.

This plagiarism, committed by a speech writer, isn't evidence that either Donald or Melania are dishonest. It's just evidence of their incompetence in hiring capable people and running a professional campaign. It's amateur hour.

If you want to understand, go look up "John Miller".

The entire campaign smelled like amateur hour and shooting from the hip. The plagiarism, the vice-presidential choice and its announcement were just the icing on the cake.

One should read what his ghost writer says about him in The New Yorker.

The irony is that the converse is crooked Hillary, with her expertise in lying, lying, lying, putting classified information on a private server to evade FOIA, selling out the US for donations to her foundation and speech payments to her husband, her support of BLM, which is responsible for the murder of police officers across the US, her complete f-up in the middle east including Libya, Syria, Iraq, the rise in ISIS caused by her idiotic actions overseas, her idiotic "Russian reset" which resulted in Crimea and Ukraine. What "achievements" has she made? Everything she touches turns to ****.

His "amateur" hour is actually one of his greatest selling points. It's refreshing, and it's why Trump is leading crooked Hillary in the polls.

In a bizarre twist of fate, Saul Alinsky, the man whose writings were plagiarized by Barack and Michelle Obama, was buddy buddy with Hillary Clinton.

letter.jpg

:laugh:

Barack Obama: “Don’t tell me words don’t matter.” As then-Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) surpassed Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary, largely on the strength of his oratory, Clinton said that Obama’s record was “just words.” Obama responded in a speech whose refrain was lifted from then-Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick. The Obama campaign did not even bother to refute the claim. Instead, it circulated examples of lines that it said Clinton herself had borrowed from Obama. The left media defended Obama, saying that he had not committed plagiarism, but merely, at worst, “poor footnoting.”

Hillary Clinton: “No bank can be too big to fail, no executive too powerful to jail.” After the Obama campaign accused Clinton of stealing lines in 2008 — a claim supplemented by The New Republic, which accused her of stealing lines from then-Sen. John Edwards (D-NC) — she ought to have learned her lesson. But in 2016, she stole lines from Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), who responded by telling NBC News’ Meet the Press, jokingly: “We’re looking into the copyright issues here.” Clinton was accused of lifting other lines, too — and Sanders supporters responded on Twitter with the wry hashtag: #StealtheBern.

Joe Biden: “My ancestors who worked in the coal mines…”. Biden was found to have borrowed heavily from the oratory — and the biography — of British Labour Party leader Neal Kinnock, without attribution. In addition, it was discovered he had committed plagiarism while in law school. The scandal helped bring down Biden’s presidential campaign in 1988 — though Biden’s angry outburst at a reporter — “I think I probably have a much higher IQ than you do, I suspect” — didn’t help, either.

Michelle Obama: “…the world as it should be.” In 2008, the aspiring First Lady was accused by bloggers of lifting lines for her DNC speech from Saul Alinsky. Alinsky wrote, in Rules for Radicals (emphasis added): “The standards of judgment must be rooted in the whys and wherefores of life as it is lived, the world as it is, not our wished-for fantasy of the world as it should be.” Michelle Obama said: “And Barack stood up that day, and he spoke words that have stayed with me ever since. He talked about ‘the world as it is‘ and ‘the world as it should be.'” (Perhaps Mr. Obama who left out the attribution.)

The hypocrisy is hilarious.

The election will not be won on SDN.
Agree. I am just shocked that 55% of the people here would vote with Donald Trump. Maybe they should take a citizenship test, and remind themselves what America stands for. Or just open their family photo albums, and look up their ancestors. Look in the mirror, then look at a living person of the same ancestry from a different continent, and figure out what makes him/her different, despite looking similar. Why is an American different from a non-American of same ancestry? Why did those people have a different history? What makes America different, even special?

This is not Russia, or Turkey. Or Germany in the 30's. The moment this country will give in to intolerance is the moment when America won't be great anymore. This is already a great nation, one of the few on Earth, and not because of people like Donald Trump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree. I am just shocked that 55% of the people here would vote with Donald Trump. Maybe they should take a citizenship exam, and remind themselves what America stands for. Or just open their family photo albums, and look up their ancestors. This is not Russia, or Turkey. Or Germany in the 30's.

Also realize, the most vocal tend to let their opinions known so most likely a lot of people didn't participate. With that said, it is scary that Trump is so close despite all the missteps, lack of qualifications, judgement, self-control, etc.

Agree. I am just shocked that 55% of the people here would vote with Donald Trump. Maybe they should take a citizenship test, and remind themselves what America stands for. Or just open their family photo albums, and look up their ancestors. Look in the mirror, then look at a living person of the same ancestry from a different continent, and figure out what makes him/her different, despite looking similar. Why is an American different from a non-American of same ancestry? Why did those people have a different history? What makes America different, even special?

This is not Russia, or Turkey. Or Germany in the 30's. The moment this country will give in to intolerance is the moment when America won't be great anymore. This is already a great nation, one of the few on Earth, and not because of people like Donald Trump.

Did your ancestors come to USA illegally?

Also realize, the most vocal tend to let their opinions known so most likely a lot of people didn't participate. With that said, it is scary that Trump is so close despite all the missteps, lack of qualifications, judgement, self-control, etc.

Because the country is sick and tired of political hacks running this country into the ground.

We spend a lot of time talking about how religion is deadly. Nationalism is America's religious extremism. There are literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dead people in Iraq because of "our best interest", and we write is off as just a bad choice. We talk about closing our borders to people who WILL die if they don't get out. We talk about getting rid of millions of people who support their families somewhere else with the pittance they earn here.

We DO need to do those things that are in our best interest, and it's not (usually) our fault if other countries don't know how to get it together. But how about making those decisions on sound reasoning? And how about considering the impact on non-Americans?

I'm sorry to make it political again because clearly both parties are guilty. But the party of "life" seems to have very little problem pushing policies that are very incompatible with life if those lives aren't American.

I personally do think "America" is a truly AMAZING country, 100% built on f@cking BRILLIANT enlightenment ideals. But the people are no different than people anywhere else, and people can be self-serving, callous, stupid, greedy, and orange.

You don't understand what being an American is and the pride therein. Here is a recent, great quote that espouses the nationalistic pride we as Americans have:

"But Americans, I think, have a great advantage. To renew our unity, we only need to remember our values. We have never been held together by blood or background. We are bound by things of the spirit – by shared commitments to common ideals."

Most Trump supporters simply cling to these values and what it means to be an American.

You don't understand what being an American is and the pride therein. Here is a recent, great quote that espouses the nationalistic pride we as Americans have:

"But Americans, I think, have a great advantage. To renew our unity, we only need to remember our values. We have never been held together by blood or background. We are bound by things of the spirit – by shared commitments to common ideals."

Most Trump supporters simply cling to these values and what it means to be an American.
You underestimate me. :)

I just don't think intolerance, racism, xenophobia, bigotry, uncivil public discourse etc. are among those values. I actually think they are pretty "unAmerican", to use a McCarthyism. And those are the "values" Trump supporters seem to cling to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Trump is appalling, vile, horrific, repulsive, monstrous.

His nomination is an FU from generally less educated angry white people who are enraged that their American dream is dying and want someone to blame and are trying to shake things up. Bernie was also an FU but from a different cohort. If Hillary was a little less prepared and organized, it would be a Bernie v. Donald election.

Reactions: 3 users
You underestimate me. :)

I just don't think intolerance, racism, xenophobia, bigotry, uncivil public discourse etc. are among those values. I actually think they are pretty "unAmerican", to use a McCarthyism. And those are the "values" Trump supporters seem to cling to.

I love the left speaking about tolerance. The same side that has hate groups calling for the open assassination of cops (ex: "pigs in a blanket, fry like bacon", "let's burn this place down", "what do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!") and has seen widespread violence against law enforcement with their publicity, unlawfully obstructs roads and interstates, stalks and assaults Trump supporters outside of rallies and sends agitators inside, burns the American flag, and in general has zero respect for the laws and values of this country.

And that is on top of the Democratic Party throughout their whole history being a party of unbridled self-victimization that continuously resulted in oppression and violence towards their adversaries. See women's suffrage, the Civil War, and the Civil Rights Movement, and the intolerant left of today.

But yes, it's the Republican nominee who is the problem. Sure, bud.

I love the left speaking about tolerance. The same side that has hate groups calling for the open assassination of cops (ex: "pigs in a blanket, fry like bacon", "let's burn this place down", "what do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!") and has seen widespread violence against law enforcement with their publicity, unlawfully obstructs roads and interstates, stalks and assaults Trump supporters outside of rallies and sends agitators inside, burns the American flag, and in general has zero respect for the laws and values of this country.

And that is on top of the Democratic Party throughout their whole history being a party of unbridled self-victimization that continuously resulted in oppression and violence towards their adversaries. See women's suffrage, the Civil War, and the Civil Rights Movement, and the intolerant left of today.

The problem is Trump is not really a republican. Show me a fiscally conservative, small-government but socially tolerant (i could care less about gay marriage, abortion etc) candidate and I'd vote for them in a heartbeat.

Hate speech, arrogant ridiculous statements, lack of thought from Trump makes me vote 3rd party or hold my nose and vote for Clinton.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Listen, I am not your average brainwashed Joe Sixpack. I don't belong to the left or the right; I belong to the center, like many other people who call themselves independents in this country. There is stuff I agree with the Republicans about, and there is stuff I agree with the Democrats about. My beliefs and votes tend to parallel libertarian values, based on social and economic freedoms, so I actually agree with Republicans more frequently.

I am just not a big enough jerk to be able to overlook major social issues and character flaws for the sake of lower taxes or other economic promises. I just can't be bought like that. I will be doing what my conscience says is best for the country, despite the fact that Democrats in the White House tend to destroy the medical system more every time.

P.S. @doctalaughs said it so much better, in the previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.