Vote for President

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vote for President

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 150 52.1%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 138 47.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fauxcahontas? Lol

I think part of the reason trump is doing so well is that people are tired of politically correct, and he is so not that. Still not a good candidate, but he gets people riled up.
To each their own. I don't care about Warren. Nor Trump. But they each seem to inspire a lot of people in their respective camps.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
To each their own. I don't care about Warren. Nor Trump. But they each seem to inspire a lot of people in their respective camps.
I guarantee everyone that nobody inspires such a turn out as does Trump. Even the AK Caucus had an explosive turn out (albeit it didn't help him). Warren wouldn't yield such consistent turn out, and clearly neither does Bernie.

Libertarian is Gary Johnson.
I would vote for him, campaign for him, and give him money.

I'll probably end up voting for him too, but mainly because I'm a CA resident and my vote doesn't count in a state that is guaranteed to go Democrat. If I resided in a swing state, I'd have to vote for the person most likely to beat the D.

If God help us Trump actually wins it all, my hopes will have to rest on the Senate and the House being even more obstructive and belligerent to him than they've been to Obama. And I'll probably develop a substance abuse problem.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, I wasn't talking about Cruz. Is that what you thought was happening? I'm referring to the author of the Volokh Conspiracy article, Prof. Ilya Somin. That should've been clear from the context as well as the fact that I explicitly linked to his material when I replied to you.

Uh, your back and forth with Pooh seemed like you were pointing a libertarian label toward Cruz at the end.

Uh, your back and forth with Pooh seemed like you were pointing a libertarian label toward Cruz at the end.
Only if you don't read in context or can't follow the details. Besides, I specifically linked to a libertarian website with Ilya Somin's very own articles when I originally replied to you. It's hard to get any clearer than that.

Inspiration schminspiration. Every regime inspires people.
No doubt. But you scoffed at Warren for being Fauxcohantes which presumably means you think otherwise. But she does seem inspire fellow liberals. Not to the extent Trump inspires his own but nevertheless to some not insignificant extent.

I want to block Trump from getting the GOP nomination. This means I'll be forced to vote for Rubio on 03/15/16 as he is the only candidate that may be able to win Florida. Similarly, if I was in Ohio I would vote for Kasich.

The "plan" is to vote for the non Trump candidate most likely to win any particular state. The key is to keep the Delegate count low for Trump so he can't scream "unfair" at the convention this summer.

I give this plan about a 10% chance of success. "The Donald" is most likely a lock.

No doubt. But you scoffed at Warren for being Fauxcohantes which presumably means you think otherwise. But she does seem inspire fellow liberals. Not to the extent Trump inspires his own but nevertheless to some not insignificant extent.

I scoff because she puts herself on an anti-establishment pedestal but she's nothing more than a career politician who used a folklore to benefit herself.

Only if you don't read in context or can't follow the details. Besides, I specifically linked to a libertarian website with Ilya Somin's very own articles when I originally replied to you. It's hard to get any clearer than that.

Oh, Now I see. You're one of those posters who thinks everyone here has infinite amounts of time to read waxing and waning. Dude, I don't have time to wander down rabbit holes. If you are trying to get points across, don't post links, post exactly what you are saying. You talk in pronouns a lot, and busy people catch glimpses of conversations.

It must be really tough to be so perfect.

Oh, Now I see. You're one of those posters who thinks everyone here has infinite amounts of time to read waxing and waning. Dude, I don't have time to wander down rabbit holes. If you are trying to get points across, don't post links, post exactly what you are saying. You talk in pronouns a lot, and busy people catch glimpses of conversations.

Funny, but truth is youre jumping to conclusions. You only needed to have read my very first reply to you (i.e. a grand total of one whole comment) to see I was referring to someone else besides Cruz. It's pretty straightforward, and not difficult to grasp. And if time is truly an issue for you, why not just let it go and move on?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I scoff because she puts herself on an anti-establishment pedestal but she's nothing more than a career politician who used a folklore to benefit herself.
True, and I agree. But doesn't change the fact that some people are swayed by her, however illogical that may be. Some or many voters prefer to rely on their passions and feelings over and against the facts and reason.

By the way, one or two of your sentences borders on a personal attack against me, as if I'm not busy and have "infinite amounts of time," etc. Yes, I'm busy too but I still took the time to detail a reply to you. Wouldn't taking the time to reply despite being busy usually be a considerate thing for someone to do? I instead could have replied with a single word (like you did when you all you said to me was "Nope" -- I could have instead just said"Yup"). But again I took the time to reply and try to explain what I meant. Now you're attempting to make it seem as if taking time to reply to others is somehow a bad thing rather than a considerate thing.

By the way, one or two of your sentences borders on a personal attack against me, as if I'm not busy and have "infinite amounts of time," etc. Yes, I'm busy too but I still took the time to detail a reply to you. Wouldn't taking the time to reply despite being busy usually be a considerate thing for someone to do? I instead could have replied with a single word (like you did when you all you said to me was "Nope" -- I could have instead just said"Yup"). But again I took the time to reply and try to explain what I meant. Now you're attempting to make it seem as if taking time to reply to others is somehow a bad thing rather than a considerate thing.

Posters are tainted by their Ideology, myself included. You are a a reasonable person who leans to the right. Stop worrying about what others think of you as you will never get everyone to like you especially on SDN.

Reactions: 2 users
Posters are tainted by their Ideology, myself included. You are a a reasonable person who leans to the right. Stop worrying about what others think of you as you will never get everyone to like you especially on SDN.
Everybody likes you Blade. :)

I want to block Trump from getting the GOP nomination. This means I'll be forced to vote for Rubio on 03/15/16 as he is the only candidate that may be able to win Florida. Similarly, if I was in Ohio I would vote for Kasich.

The "plan" is to vote for the non Trump candidate most likely to win any particular state. The key is to keep the Delegate count low for Trump so he can't scream "unfair" at the convention this summer.

I give this plan about a 10% chance of success. "The Donald" is most likely a lock.

Sorry, "little Marco" doesn't win FL.

Who else is inspiring this amount of voter turnout?
Look at the democratic side of things, low voter turnouts consistently.
Oh, he will inspire a lot of turnout, but for the democrats and moderates, in the general elections. It will be like when France rallied against the extreme right in their last elections.

The electorate seems to be divided into Trumpists and anybody-but-Trumpists.

Oh, he will inspire a lot of turnout, but for the democrats, in the general elections. It will be like when France rallied against the extreme right in their last elections.

I'm not saying he consistently wins with high voter turn out. Not sure if you read some of my recent posts about this, but to his benefit or his own detriment he attracts record amount of folks to go out and vote (whether it be for him, or against him).

Thanks, Blade. I appreciate what you say. I always have. Now, please, trust me, as the Donald might say, I guarantee it: I'm not worried about what others think of me here! I have "very powerful hands" after all! ;)

Thanks, Blade. I appreciate what you say. I always have. Now, please, trust me, as the Donald might say, I guarantee it: I'm not worried about what others think of me here! I have "very powerful hands" after all! ;)

I have to say, Trump is at least funny when he makes his quips. Cruz is witty at times too. Rubio just doesn't have it.

It's almost like most of these candidates were invented just to make Hillary look downright good in comparison.

Joe Biden needs to run as an independent candidate. He could disrupt the Trump and Hilary farce......

Joe Biden running as an Independent would likely help Trump. It would be an excuse not to vote for Hillary. I could see voter turnout being really high, as both Biden and Trump have been polarizing over the years in their own ways.
He's just as rough with the words.

Ironically, we'd also have 3 left leaning candidates (Trump is more left than right, but has to pander to get through the GOP side, and is facing the burn for not being ultra conservative, amongst many other things) running for the Presidency.

Last edited:
I know Trump's said LOTS of ridiculous things, but it surprises me that the whole killing families of our enemies idea isn't a bigger issue. Assuming one son/daughter for every other ISIS member (it's probably much higher), that's about 25,000 kids, at least as many wives. Would he want to kill 10,000 kids and 20,000 wives? 5,000 kids and 25,000 wives? I'd want a little more detail. And I wonder what he'd say if asked if torturing terrorist's kids would be more effective. (Since a lot of the ones you try to kill would end up maimed and not dead, that's pretty much the same thing anyway).

Also, he has said multiple times that he could defeat ISIS militarily. Then why kill familial non-combatants? Is the family killing stuff just an insult to injury thing? Hard to tell if that's a good policy for "making America great again."

I know Trump's said LOTS of ridiculous things, but it surprises me that the whole killing families of our enemies idea isn't a bigger issue. Assuming one son/daughter for every other ISIS member (it's probably much higher), that's about 25,000 kids, at least as many wives. Would he want to kill 10,000 kids and 20,000 wives? 5,000 kids and 25,000 wives? I'd want a little more detail. And I wonder what he'd say if asked if torturing terrorist's kids would be more effective. (Since a lot of the ones you try to kill would end up maimed and not dead, that's pretty much the same thing anyway).

Also, he has said multiple times that he could defeat ISIS militarily. Then why kill familial non-combatants? Is the family killing stuff just an insult to injury thing? Hard to tell if that's a good policy for "making America great again."

As with a lot of the harsh rhetoric he's used regarding immigration, he'll likely back pedal or claim to not have said such thing in such a context and that the media took it out of "his context" lol

If he truly means what he said about that and holds up on his promise, he'll likely be creating a lot more instability and only further anti-American sentiments amongst those in the Middle East.

I know Trump's said LOTS of ridiculous things, but it surprises me that the whole killing families of our enemies idea isn't a bigger issue.
I don't know, I've seen it brought up a fair amount. Maybe it's just lost in the noise of criticism of all the other horrendously stupid or awful things he says. He's got so many ideas at the far end of the Evil-O-Scale, what's one more?

He is a bad person. There's no denying that he's tapped into the well of anger, fear, resentment, racism, and xenophobia that characterizes the mostly white, mostly poorly educated cohort that votes for him. It tickles a little shame in the back of my head to think that this guy has received such support from my fellow Americans. Every minute that he spends in the spotlight diminishes us all.

Reactions: 4 users
Hillary should count her lucky stars that Elizabeth Warren isn't the one running against her as opposed to Bernie.

I don't know, I've seen it brought up a fair amount. Maybe it's just lost in the noise of criticism of all the other horrendously stupid or awful things he says. He's got so many ideas at the far end of the Evil-O-Scale, what's one more?

He is a bad person. There's no denying that he's tapped into the well of anger, fear, resentment, racism, and xenophobia that characterizes the mostly white, mostly poorly educated cohort that votes for him. It tickles a little shame in the back of my head to think that this guy has received such support from my fellow Americans. Every minute that he spends in the spotlight diminishes us all.

These lie at the heart of most men. Don't fool yourself.

Even a couple months ago I didn't believe it could happen.

Please welcome the next president of the United States...

Hillary Clinton? Sigh.

I don't think Trump can win the general election, but of course everything I thought I knew about the primaries has been wrong.

Trump is going to win the general election in a landslide.

Reactions: 2 users
That's what I think, too. Unless Hillary somehow convinces Bernie to be her vice-president. Many Sanders voters will rather vote Trump than Hillary.

I doubt it. Polls consistently show Clinton winning in a Trump v. Clinton match-up. They are both very well-known personalities at this point, so pollsters are expecting less swings compared to other candidates like Obama who was less of a known entity in 2008. By mid-June, I think Nate Silver will have called it for Clinton. He was wrong about Trump once, but national polling is much more accurate.

Barring something explosive coming out of Clinton's ongoing House investigations (not super likely IMHO given they've been dragging these things on for years at this point without substantial charges) or some other unforeseen event, I have a hard time seeing Trump winning the general election with these kind of favorability ratings. And for every Dem that goes for Trump, I am reading about an R that goes for Hillary.

Pgg has more cred on this board as he's a legit libertarian, but I'll say it as a Dem anyhow: Trump is a bad person. He's racist, xenophobic, prejudiced, and his lifelong MO is as a huge misogynist. He's petty and capricious. The main pillars of his platform on how to "make America great again" will ruin the country. He will cause huge economic upheaval by starting trade wars with China and others. He will alienate any remaining Middle Eastern allies we have by banning all Muslims from entering the country. He will cause outright revolt in the military by reinstating waterboarding and torture.

Almost any policy proposal that he has thrown out has received open scorn from experts who make it their job to understand the nuance of these situations. Trump and his supporters don't care about that because they have no grasp on reality and cannot comprehend that them wanting it to be so doesn't make it so.

Sanders won't ever join Hillary.

Hillary will bring on board Elizabeth Warren to attract Bernie supporters. If she does not, then she will be destroyed by Trump.

Trump should target Paul Ryan or Kasich. Possibly look into Haley.

Pgg has more cred on this board as he's a legit libertarian, but I'll say it as a Dem anyhow: Trump [HILLARY] is a bad person. He's racist, xenophobic, prejudiced, and his lifelong MO is as a huge misogynist. He's petty and capricious.

The main pillars of his platform on how to "make America great again" will ruin the country. He will cause huge economic upheaval by starting trade wars with China and others. He will alienate any remaining Middle Eastern allies we have by banning all Muslims from entering the country. He will cause outright revolt in the military by reinstating waterboarding and torture.

Almost any policy proposal that he has thrown out has received open scorn from experts who make it their job to understand the nuance of these situations. Trump and his supporters don't care about that because they have no grasp on reality and cannot comprehend that them wanting it to be so doesn't make it so.
Replace Trump with Hillary as above. Most of those same adjectives fit perfectly. She is a lying, obnoxious bitch. Although Trump was far from my first choice, Hillary would absolutely be my last choice.

All these "Never Trump" folks will likely see the light, even if it's dim. Most are intelligent enough to realize not voting or voting for anyone else besides Trump is a vote for Hillary, and as much as they may not like Trump, the prospect of Hillary as president is far worse.

America First? No problem. Banning all Muslims from entering the country? Re-read what he actually has proposed - that's not it. Revolt in the military? Not gonna happen - hell, they didn't revolt with the current occupant of the White House - they're not going to do it with Trump. Are we exchanging one arrogant ass for another? Probably so. I'll still take Trump over Hillary. Period.

At this point I'm reminded of the plan Steve Buscemi's character had in Armageddon ... pick out a comfortable spot on the asteroid and ride it in to smash the earth.

Whatever happens from here out, it's going to be a hell of a ride.

That and Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks: "I want the people to know that they still have 2 out of 3 branches of the government working for them, and that ain't bad." How much damage can a president do all by himself, anyway?

Sorry, sir, but once Clinton becomes president, she'll elect at least 1 (and likely 2-3) Supreme Court justice(s) during her presidency, plus a large number of federal judges. And with Trump leading the ticket, swing state Republicans in Congress are feeling some significant unease. I don't see things going quite as strongly Democrat as they did in 2008, but I think Trump is the GOP's worst-case scenario for this fall.

At this point I'm reminded of the plan Steve Buscemi's character had in Armageddon ... pick out a comfortable spot on the asteroid and ride it in to smash the earth.

That and Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks: "I want the people to know that they still have 2 out of 3 branches of the government working for them, and that ain't bad." How much damage can a president do all by himself, anyway?

He may win, but not a chance that it's a landslide. 40-45% will vote republican because that's what they do. 40-45% will vote democrat because that's what they do. It's the remaining 10-20% that make the difference. That includes a LOT of women and minorities with whom Trump has about an 80-90% unfavorability rating.

I think the debates may be more important than usual. When it comes to the real issues, I don't think Trump cares to learn the details. He certainly hasn't demonstrated any deep understanding of ANY issue thus far. His technique is to distract with personal attacks to derail the discussion. In a one-on-one debate where it will be very difficult to distract, it'll be VERY interesting to see how he handles things. I suspect we'll get more than our fill of "I'll have the greatest team" type answers. That will concern a lot of folks who want a president that can demonstrate some degree of comprehension of the issues. He may also try to derail things with VERY personal attacks. We'll see.

It will also be interesting to see how world leaders interact with him. Presidential nominees tend to meet with world leaders. Trump is NOT viewed favorably outside the states, to say the least. But the potential president needs to be received and welcomed when asking to speak to our allies, I assume.

So many bizarro situations are going to come up during this election. It's sad to some degree that these two are the best we were able to muster, but it'll be fun as HELL to watch!

Last edited:

The GOP should confirm Obama's SCOTUS nominee next month. Hillary's pick will be far worse. As for Trump winning the Presidency I don't see it happening because of the way he has alienated Latino, Female and even Black voters not to mention all the young people under 25. Trump has the white, male over 50 voter by a wide margin but that won't get him elected to the Presidency in 2016 like it would have in 1976.

The GOP should confirm Obama's SCOTUS nominee next month. Hillary's pick will be far worse. As for Trump winning the Presidency I don't see it happening because of the way he has alienated Latino, Female and even Black voters not to mention all the young people under 25. Trump has the white, male over 50 voter by a wide margin but that won't get him elected to the Presidency in 2016 like it would have in 1976.
I think you're right.

Kasich suspends campaign

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/04/john-kasich-campaign-latest-news.html

rVAdyJu.png

Status
Not open for further replies.