VSAS away clinical rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Totem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you really want to go to one institution can you apply for multiple dates in VSAS? If so, how would order your preferences?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want to go to one institution can you apply for multiple dates in VSAS? If so, how would order your preferences?
Thanks

Yes you can apply for more than one rotation.
After you submit the applitactions, go to TRACKING then
1. click PENDING APPS
2. Right above that bar to the left, change VIEW BY STATUS to VIEW BY INSTITUTION
3. Click the tab for the intitution and it will show you thr preference order that you have set/default
4. Click CHANGE ORDER
5. Drag diff rotations/dates up or down to change the preference
6 save

Thats it

If its just different dates in the same rotation you want, you may apply for your top choice and then email them once you receive notification that the application is being processed and let them know what other dates you would be ok with. They can offer you dates other than what your VSAS request was.

Yes you can apply for more than one rotation.
After you submit the applitactions, go to TRACKING then
1. click PENDING APPS
2. Right above that bar to the left, change VIEW BY STATUS to VIEW BY INSTITUTION
3. Click the tab for the intitution and it will show you thr preference order that you have set/default
4. Click CHANGE ORDER
5. Drag diff rotations/dates up or down to change the preference
6 save

Thats it

If its just different dates in the same rotation you want, you may apply for your top choice and then email them once you receive notification that the application is being processed and let them know what other dates you would be ok with. They can offer you dates other than what your VSAS request was.

Thanks for the response, but how does changing your preference affect things? Seems like you get offers and then you decline yourself, so I don't understand how ordering rotations would make a difference. Am i missing something here? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response, but how does changing your preference affect things? Seems like you get offers and then you decline yourself, so I don't understand how ordering rotations would make a difference. Am i missing something here? thanks

The hope is that, if your "#1" choice is filled (by the institution's own students, or by someone who applied earlier than you did), then the program would drop down to your #2 choice, and so on. From my experience, you only get one offer for a given time period from a program...but if you decided that you didn't want your #5 choice after all, then you could still decline.

Some departments will not grant you a rotation offer if you rank them lower than top 3. I was declined for an ortho elective cos i listed it as my #4.
The west coast schools do that a lot for some reason

Gah! VSAS was just such a huge pain in the ass, and was pretty much a scam. Maybe its better now, but I still had to go get special vaccination forms filled out and it restricted me solely to the institutions' schedules. Not to mention that you don't find out the results until very late, beyond when I would have to set up my schedule. I ended up just giving up on my VSAS apps and filled out all 4 away rotations on non-VSAS schools. Still a pain in the ass, but it didnt cost me anything and I had set everything up by this time last year.