vscan and similar devices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMIM2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the vscan or a similar device? Most interested in the new vscan with the dual probe.

Members don't see this ad.

I have used the vscan with the phased array probe.

It might be ok if you are into wilderness medicine but is kinda useless in a hospital with real ultrasound machines.

Vscan with dual probes? Is that for bedroom use?

Members don't see this ad :)
we have the Vscan (not dual probe) in SICU, MICU, VAICU, CVICU, and CCU (and several attendings have). Its infinitely useful if you are running around a hospital, (ICU fellow going to codes, forced into CT scanner, out in the parking lot etc..) or have a quick question on ICU rounds. In the ed yeah sure you have an US machine in your dept which has more features than I have with the Vscan so I am not sure how useful it would be there? My questions are usually very simple with v scan like PUMP, tank, pipe kind of questions. However, if I'm looking for degree of valvular insufficiency, VTI, valve area of something more complex I use the phillips sparq, its pretty damn sweet (wish they paid me something for saying that).

we have the Vscan (not dual probe) in SICU, MICU, VAICU, CVICU, and CCU (and several attendings have). Its infinitely useful if you are running around a hospital, (ICU fellow going to codes, forced into CT scanner, out in the parking lot etc..) or have a quick question on ICU rounds. In the ed yeah sure you have an US machine in your dept which has more features than I have with the Vscan so I am not sure how useful it would be there? My questions are usually very simple with v scan like PUMP, tank, pipe kind of questions. However, if I'm looking for degree of valvular insufficiency, VTI, valve area of something more complex I use the phillips sparq, its pretty damn sweet (wish they paid me something for saying that).
Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking. I feel like 80% of my clinical questions can probably be answered with a vscan-like device (and the "dual" would also allow to quickly perform procedures such as us-guided piv's). Does this gallbladder look inflamed or not? Is this IVC collapsing or not? What is the global EF? Is there significant MR? Is there a foreign body? Is there free fluid or a pneumo? I often find myself in the situation where the "big" ultrasound machine is in use, or dirty, not charged, or not fully stocked with supplies. I hear the same from colleagues working at all kinds of places. Do I really have the time to go find that machine, clean it etc just to take a real quick look at the gb or the heart? Not during a busy clinical shift, and a portable device could change this. I fully agree with you that there are very good reasons to actually fire up the $100k machine and assess diastolic function, valves, a mass etc, but it would be nice to have a "triage tool" for those 80% of cases where a less sophisticated, but more readily available/usable device will suffice.