W on transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crockmonster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm second year biochemistry major. So far in I'm getting A's in all my classes (Chem, Bio Physics Calculus and English) I'm also taking Anthropology. Im taking 6 courses because I don't work right now so I have tons of free time, I took intro to anthro because it seemed interesting but I didn't consider the fact that its a writing intensive course. I want to drop it instead of risking a C in that class and dropping my GPA below the 4.2 I have now. Will a W on my transcript impact my application to medical school negatively?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm second year biochemistry major. So far in I'm getting A's in all my classes (Chem, Bio Physics Calculus and English) I'm also taking Anthropology. Im taking 6 courses because I don't work right now so I have tons of free time, I took intro to anthro because it seemed interesting but I didn't consider the fact that its a writing intensive course. I want to drop it instead of risking a C in that class and dropping my GPA below the 4.2 I have now. Will a W on my transcript impact my application to medical school negatively?

4.2?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should use an AMCAS GPA calculator to get your true GPA.

1 W won't hurt you. 3 or 4 will.

On an interview, someone may ask "What happened in Intro to Anthropology?" Have an answer ready.

I have 11 W's total through my long college career, and I had a couple of interviews (maybe would have had more if I had any research experience).

You should use an AMCAS GPA calculator to get your true GPA.

1 W won't hurt you. 3 or 4 will.

On an interview, someone may ask "What happened in Intro to Anthropology?" Have an answer ready.

Be extra ready for this question since schools are now placing more emphasis on the Behavioral Sciences (BESS) category, which Anthropology falls under. Some schools include BESS credits as a required prereq now as well. Also, for those reasons, better to drop it than risk a low grade.

I had a W, and got an acceptance. Never came up in interviews. My Cs did though. I also have a 3.5-6ish gpa. You should be fine either way.

NO!

Reactions: 1 users
Because AMCAS will count your GPA as a 4.0 and not a 4.2/4.33 or whatever, you will only be applying with a 4.0 which puts you well behind most premeds. I would suggest a gap year to make up for the W, or take the C, retake the class and apply DO who does grade forgiveness.

Reactions: 6 users
Because AMCAS will count your GPA as a 4.0 and not a 4.2/4.33 or whatever, you will only be applying with a 4.0 which puts you well behind most premeds. I would suggest a gap year to make up for the W, or take the C, retake the class and apply DO who does grade forgiveness.
LMAO