Wait-list Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One person accepted from UT Houston WL today, in-state. This is the only posting I have seen on Texas schools since 6/2.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From reading the Yale thread, it looks like there may be movement near the end of the month because they are currently processing deferrals for around 5 people. So there should be some movement on Yale's waitlist or possibly at other high-end schools if Yale goes poaching for replacements.

This will likely cause a little bit of movement at other schools as a result.

Reactions: 4 users
I am having a hard time believing Duke still hasn't moved a single soul off their wait-list this cycle. Meh

Members don't see this ad :)
looks like its shaping up to be another slow week

Reactions: 1 users
Yea everything seems pretty quiet. Tulane in particular. I dislike this.
I'm in the same boat as you. Looking at past years threads, Tulane is late to the party kind of a lot. In the past they've been willing to tell people about wait list movement over the phone, but now it seems they won't say anything. In the 2013-2014 cycle, four people came off the week of the 12th. That could happen again, right?

I'm in the same boat as you. Looking at past years threads, Tulane is late to the party kind of a lot. In the past they've been willing to tell people about wait list movement over the phone, but now it seems they won't say anything. In the 2013-2014 cycle, four people came off the week of the 12th. That could happen again, right?

Lol your screenname matches this statement. I used to look at old threads months ago and gave up when the lack of patten started irritating me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lol your screenname matches this statement. I used to look at old threads months ago and gave up when the lack of patten started irritating me.

Yea I wasn't terribly neurotic until I realized that half the class does not, in fact, come from the wait list. I try not to look too much at them, because it can get depressing (2012-2013 Tulane didn't have a single person moved off because they over admitted...I don't want to get too creative). I'm not optimistic, I just try not to be overly pessimistic. Sometimes. When I'm not drinking and/or crying.

Don't forget that not everyone who applies to medical school uses SDN. I specifically WARN my students NOT to sign up for SDN because of the anxiety it causes during the application process. It is just as possible that a lot of people have moved but do not post/have SDN as it is that people have not moved. Just breathe, and relax. It ain't over until the AdComs of the school say it is (in an email saying it's over). <3

Reactions: 3 users
I specifically WARN my students NOT to sign up for SDN because of the anxiety it causes during the application process.

I would advise you to use caution here. As Uncle Ben would say, with great power comes great responsibility.

I was told the same by my pre-med advisor, and it was not until I finally decided to go against her advice that I learned both how naive I was about this process and how woefully behind I was in preparing to apply (this was the summer before senior year of college). Additionally, I learned that my advisor was not nearly the guru I had thought, and had I not realized this I would never have stepped my game up to the level needed to be successful in his process.

Since then, I have seen countless other students fall into the same trap, including a few close friends of mine, due to this advisor's fear of SDN. Even the best pre-med advisor in the world cannot provide the same level of guidance that a moderated, curated, crowd-sourced community like SDN can. And even if one could match up, no advisor will ever have the time to bring all of this knowledge equally to each of the students they are responsible for.

Steering all students away from the best resource on medical school applications because of the fear that some of them are not prepared to sift through the muck is foolish and destructive.

(No offense meant by any of this, it is just a topic that I feel very strongly about.)

Reactions: 13 users
I would advise you to use caution here. As Uncle Ben would say, with great power comes great responsibility.

I was told the same by my pre-med advisor, and it was not until I finally decided to go against her advice that I learned both how naive I was about this process and how woefully behind I was in preparing to apply (this was the summer before senior year of college). Additionally, I learned that my advisor was not nearly the guru I had thought, and had I not realized this I would never have stepped my game up to the level needed to be successful in his process.

Since then, I have seen countless other students fall into the same trap, including a few close friends of mine, due to this advisor's fear of SDN. Even the best pre-med advisor in the world cannot provide the same level of guidance that a moderated, curated, crowd-sourced community like SDN can. And even if one could match up, no advisor will ever have the time to bring all of this knowledge equally to each of the students they are responsible for.

Steering all students away from the best resource on medical school applications because of the fear that some of them are not prepared to sift through the muck is foolish and destructive.

(No offense meant by any of this, it is just a topic that I feel very strongly about.)

Didn't realize someone would write a novel for my joke. Here we go, as usual. Someone takes things too seriously, when it was only meant to try and calm another person down who is anxious about not seeing someone post about waitlist movement on a forum.

In reality, I don't tell them NOT to use it at all. I tell them to use SDN for insight on secondaries and advice, NOT for when people submitted and completed secondaries and the time it took to receive interview invites, and all of the other crap that causes people to stress out.

And yes, your response was offensive. But that's ok, because you looked way too into a comment, as most people do on here. Hooray SDN!

Not trying to be inflammatory here, just wanna state my thoughts on the matter.

Obviously SDN is incredibly helpful. But it can also be very discouraging, especially when you're an average applicant and it seems like everyone else on here is a superstar. But honestly, I feel like people need to suck it up and get over it. If SDN really makes you feel that bad about yourself or stressed out, are you going to be able to handle a stressful career such as medicine?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Reactions: 15 users
Not trying to be inflammatory here, just wanna state my thoughts on the matter.

Obviously SDN is incredibly helpful. But it can also be very discouraging, especially when you're an average applicant and it seems like everyone else on here is a superstar. But honestly, I feel like people need to suck it up and get over it. If SDN really makes you feel that bad about yourself or stressed out, are you going to be able to handle a stressful career such as medicine?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile
Amen to that. It's not just that and what @NotaCop said. I only discovered sdn this April when most of my applying was done. Before that, I felt very alone and had no idea whether the information I was getting from limited sources was even right for me. Being able to talk to people like myself and realize that we're all struggling with the same questions in a largely opaque process gave me so much relief. Instead of suffering the anxiety alone, we can laugh at our own neurotic behavior here--which is so much better. :happy:

Reactions: 9 users
Amen to that. It's not just that and what @NotaCop said. I only discovered sdn this April when most of my applying was done. Before that, I felt very alone and had no idea whether the information I was getting from limited sources was even right for me. Being able to talk to people like myself and realize that we're all struggling with the same questions in a largely opaque process gave me so much relief. Instead of suffering the anxiety alone, we can laugh at our own neurotic behavior here--which is so much better. :happy:

Agreed! I've applied 3 times now, the first two without coming to SDN for anything (I'd heard all of the bad things and none of the good). This cycle has been much better, simply because I can see that other people are in the same situation that I am. Sure, a lot of us are neurotic, but seeing that other people are worried about moving off of a waitlist in June is incredibly helpful. As frustrating as it is for all of us to be largely in the dark, it's a lot less frustrating when you find other people who are going through similar things. I just wish I'd started really coming here regularly before I finalized my personal statement. Or my activity descriptions. Or submitted my secondaries. Or gone to my interviews. Really what I'm saying is that SDN is good and I'm dumb.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard of someone getting off the waitlist for NYC area schools from mid-June through early August?

@gyngyn do you know if there is waitlist movement at Rosalind Franklin?
We don't have that much overlap with RF, so the fact that I haven't seen any, doesn't mean none has occurred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, you better start a mini marathon tonight and we will be expecting a short PowerPoint presentation in the morning. Thanks.

I was working a lot harder back then. I totally missed the whole thing.

For the record guys, @gyngyn appears to be legit in this process. I'm just a smart ass resident who got off the waitlist and beat the odds - from trailer park to MD. Trust him, not me. He's (she's) good looking, I'm unattractive. I think you get the picture.

it seems like schools are all filled by now and there will be a few more random acceptances here and there due to sudden withdraws or late poaches

@gyngyn In your opinion, has this past cycle been better or worse for the applicant of "median metriculant" quality (defined by msar 2015 as a 31 mcat & 3.7 sci gpa/3.8 overall gpa) aka the middling guy who has decent enough stats to hope for md but not sure in stats.

@gyngyn In your opinion, has this past cycle been better or worse for the applicant of "median metriculant" quality (defined by msar 2015 as a 31 mcat & 3.7 sci gpa/3.8 overall gpa) aka the middling guy who has decent enough stats to hope for md but not sure in stats.
I'm in CA. It's always a tough year here for that guy. We will only know in retrospect, but I still think that he has a good chance in a good state with a good list.

I'm in CA. It's always a tough year here for that guy. We will only know in retrospect, but I still think that he has a good chance in a good state with a good list.
I'm a californian too D:

I'm a californian too D:
The outcome will turn on the strength of the OOS list in most cases for such CA applicants.
OOS schools love CA applicants. They tend to be very good, and there are so many of them...
That's why they call it UC Albany!

Reactions: 2 users
The outcome will turn on the strength of the OOS list in most cases for such CA applicants.
OOS schools love CA applicants. They tend to be very good, and there are so many of them...
That's why they call it UC Albany!

Which private schools do you recommend most for people from CA and other states like CA (not super friendly to IS)?

does the below seem reasonable?

if the MCAT is 31+:
Tufts
Georgetown??
Wake Forest??
MCW
Jefferson
Creighton
Drexel
NYMC
RFU
Temple
Rush
Tulane??
UC Albany lol
Loyola
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
OUWB

if the MCAT is 35+:
Hofstra
Case Western
Emory
Rochester
Einstein
USC
BU
SLU
Miami

There are other OOS friendly state schools that are probably worth considering but I just included good private schools here.

Which private schools do you recommend most for people from CA and other states like CA (not super friendly to IS)?

does the below seem reasonable?

if the MCAT is 31+:
Tufts
Georgetown??
Wake Forest??
MCW
Jefferson
Creighton
Drexel
NYMC
RFU
Temple
Rush
Tulane??
UC Albany lol
Loyola
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
OUWB

if the MCAT is 35+:
Hofstra
Case Western
Emory
Rochester
Einstein
USC
BU
SLU
Miami

There are other OOS friendly state schools that are probably worth considering but I just included good private schools here.
You don't need a 35 for SLU, Einstein or Emory. A 32 is good if everything else is ok.

@gyngyn if someone chooses to work in the biotech private sector for a year or two after college while reapplying to med school, assuming all EC checkboxes like volunteering/shadowing/research have been previously filled, how will that look to an adcom?

@gyngyn if someone chooses to work in the biotech private sector for a year or two after college while reapplying to med school, assuming all EC checkboxes like volunteering/shadowing/research have been previously filled, how will that look to an adcom?
Fine.

It's not rare, and certainly more common than previously.
ok thanks. i assume its more common now since if people are gonna live on their own, an unpaid or minimum wage research assistant job isnt gonna cut it

Beats me...
how do med schools generally look at re-applicants? do you typically need strong improvements and is there really any limit before you get black listed? like 3rd or 4th time re applicants?