Wait listed vs Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deferment baby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I was accepted to three schools and wait listed for three schools. The school that I was WL for and that I really want to go to told me it is unlikely that I would get off the wait list.

So, which school would you go to Loyola/Stritch or SUNY Downstate.
Downstate, by far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it really depends on your heart.

Where do you see yourself happiest? Do you have a preference for each city? Distance to your family/friends/loved ones?

Reactions: 1 user
Why? I want to know the pros and cons.

I am WL at Downstate right now.
Downstate is in the center of a hugely underserved area. If you have any interest in EM, I promise you your clinical training there will be amazing. You'll see everything. IMO Brooklyn >>>>> Chitown. Loyola is a jesuit/catholic school, this does not align with my philosophies / have heard some stories in the past about discrimination. They have "similar" rankings, but if youre OOS Loyola will be cheaper (marginally). I''d imagine cost of living will be comparable. DS is P/F for preclinical. http://sls.downstate.edu/registrar/com/grading_system.html
I don't know about Stritch.
We don't know much about you, so make a run down of whats important to you. I can only say things that are important to me.

Downstate is in the center of a hugely underserved area. If you have any interest in EM, I promise you your clinical training there will be amazing. You'll see everything. IMO Brooklyn >>>>> Chitown. Loyola is a jesuit/catholic school, this does not align with my philosophies / have heard some stories in the past about discrimination. They have "similar" rankings, but if youre OOS Loyola will be cheaper (marginally). I''d imagine cost of living will be comparable. DS is P/F for preclinical. http://sls.downstate.edu/registrar/com/grading_system.html
I don't know about Stritch.
We don't know much about you, so make a run down of whats important to you. I can only say things that are important to me.

Where are you going for medical school?

I don't know where I am on the wait list.

I think if I were in your shoes I would definitely choose downstate, without a moment of hesitation.

Good luck with your choice and congratulations!

I want to tell you to choose Loyola because I'm really really hoping to get off the Downstate waitlist, but if you live right there you can save so much money. It'll be crazy to not go there (But chitown>brooklyn for the record)

Reactions: 1 users
My awful interview experience at Loyola made me biased, but I also have an aunt who works in admissions at Loyola and she actually said to me, "Don't go to Loyola." So take that as you will.

Reactions: 1 users
My awful interview experience at Loyola made me biased, but I also have an aunt who works in admissions at Loyola and she actually said to me, "Don't go to Loyola." So take that as you will.

Why don't go to Loyola? Can I have some specifics?

Why don't go to Loyola? Can I have some specifics?

Pretty much all she said was don't go there, and that Loyola produces "a certain kind of student". Lol it was very cryptic.

That's your Aunt though! lol

What school are you going to?

Haha I know, my mom's side of the family is kind of sketchy. I wasn't even sure if she was married to my uncle until like last year.
I'm going to Cincinnati, as of right now.

I personally had a wonderful experience at Loyola and chose to matriculate there over 2 other Chicago MDs. In terms of Loyola producing a "certain kind of student" I have no idea what that means. People go into specialties across the board, especially the competitive ones recently. It houses a Level 1 Trauma Center, so if you are interested in EM you will see some unbelievable things. You also have the opportunity to rotate at Cook County Hospital which is infamous for getting the worst of the worst.

All the students and faculty I met there were wonderful and it had some of the genuinely happiest medicals students I have met. I'm sorry you had a poor experience, Lannister, but I'm confident it's a rare exception. Loyola also just opened a brand-new $150 million dollar research center which is awesome given the new opportunities it represents. Of all the medical schools I visited, it also had the newest and most up to date facilities.

Regarding "discrimination" that is absolutely baseless. For Loyola especially, it places a VERY large emphasis on social justice and serving the underrepresented. It is even one of the only medical schools (if not the only medical school) to enroll undocumented immigrants.

Clearly, I am biased towards Loyola. Choose what is best for you (especially if SUNY is significantly cheaper) but know the atmosphere there is wonderful!

Last edited:
Until you get off the wait list then this point is moot.

I think you actually mean to say it's a "moo point".

tumblr_n9dujyvVcn1ti6bhpo1_500.gif

Reactions: 2 users
I personally had a wonderful experience at Loyola and chose to matriculate there over 2 other Chicago MDs. In terms of Loyola producing a "certain kind of student" I have no idea what that means. People go into specialties across the board, especially the competitive ones recently. It houses a Level 1 Trauma Center, so if you are interested in EM you will see some unbelievable things. You also have the opportunity to rotate at Cook County Hospital which is infamous for getting the worst of the worst.

All the students and faculty I met there were wonderful and it had some of the genuinely happiest medicals students I have met. I'm sorry you had a poor experience, Lannister, but I'm confident it's a rare exception. Loyola also just opened a brand-new $150 million dollar research center which is awesome given the new opportunities it represents. Of all the medical schools I visited, it also had the newest and most up to date facilities.

Regarding "discrimination" that is absolutely baseless. For Loyola especially, it places a VERY large emphasis on social justice and serving the underrepresented. It is even one of the only medical schools (if not the only medical school) to enroll undocumented immigrants.

Clearly, I am biased towards Loyola. Choose what is best for you (especially if SUNY is significantly cheaper) but know the atmosphere there is wonderful!

all of this sounds great but I'm not sure registering undocumented immigrants is a selling point
I'm assuming that undocumented = illegal?

all of this sounds great but I'm not sure registering undocumented immigrants is a selling point
I'm assuming that undocumented = illegal?

The perspective of undocumented immigrants really should be represented in medical school since, at least in Chicago, they make up a good deal of the patient load at safety net hospitals.

Large dogs