Wait until MCAT to submit secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desertrat12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I did a bit of searching and couldn't quite find what I was looking for, if I have missed something I'm happy to try and re search with some tips on how to be more specific....I'm currently waiting for my mcat scores to arrive in August. My primary was approved early June and I have been working on secondaries, I am just curious if there is any benefit to submitting secondaries before my MCAT scores arrives? My practice tests were all over the place from 506-514, so while I felt fairly good after taking the MCAT, I'm still a bit weary at how things will turn out. If I wait, I can potentially save quite of bit of money if my MCAT scores turn out to be sub par and I choose not to send in the secondaries/pay the secondary fees. If, however, there is some benefit to submitting secondaries before the MCAT I'm happy to pay. Everything else has been submitted for my application including my committee letter packet. Thanks for all the help!

**I just found a thread from 2013 that encouraged the person to wait, that schools won't look at everything until the application is complete in its entirety, MCAT and all...I'm assuming that is still the same here in the great 2015?

Members don't see this ad.

hi! i found this thread because i am literally in the same situation haha. i wish i had advice to give! i think im going to call a school tomorrow and ask them if there is any benefit to submitting my secondary before the MCAT score comes in and see what they say. i know that people say that you should get your secondaries in ASAP to show the school that you are very interested, but idk how important that is if i dont even have an MCAT to begin with

You will not be reviewed until you're application is complete--MCAT and all. When will you receive your scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't rush secondaries, quality matters. Just pre-write them, and then when the MCAT score comes back you can see which ones are worth submitting. You won't be complete until the MCAT anyway.

hi! i found this thread because i am literally in the same situation haha. i wish i had advice to give! i think im going to call a school tomorrow and ask them if there is any benefit to submitting my secondary before the MCAT score comes in and see what they say. i know that people say that you should get your secondaries in ASAP to show the school that you are very interested, but idk how important that is if i dont even have an MCAT to begin with
The answer is no. Don't bother calling the school. No complete app = no one even touches it at the school.