Waiting 8 weeks for SLOE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitty222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my first EM audition rotation 7 weeks ago and have been waiting for my 1st SLOE from them coming on 8 weeks now. It took them 4 weeks to write up my evaluation and I ended up getting Honors. I gave the PD my CV and personal statement, and 10 days ago I contacted the GME office and attached my SLOE request, CV and PS to make sure the PD didn't need anything else. She forwarded my email to the PD and said that she would remind him of my SLOE when she saw him, and as of today still nothing. I am finishing up my 2nd audition rotation now and I know the PD here is really good about sending in SLOEs in a timely manner. I don't know what else to do to get my 1st SLOE. I feel like I am in a standstill with interviews because to date I have no SLOEs. Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my first EM audition rotation 7 weeks ago and have been waiting for my 1st SLOE from them coming on 8 weeks now. It took them 4 weeks to write up my evaluation and I ended up getting Honors. I gave the PD my CV and personal statement, and 10 days ago I contacted the GME office and attached my SLOE request, CV and PS to make sure the PD didn't need anything else. She forwarded my email to the PD and said that she would remind him of my SLOE when she saw him, and as of today still nothing. I am finishing up my 2nd audition rotation now and I know the PD here is really good about sending in SLOEs in a timely manner. I don't know what else to do to get my 1st SLOE. I feel like I am in a standstill with interviews because to date I have no SLOEs. Any advice? Thanks!

I'm in the exact same situation. Which doesn't help you, but perhaps misery loves company. It's without a doubt affecting my interview invites. And my current rotation, which ends next week, told me today they would hope to have my SLOE uploaded the first week of November (clearly after Nov. 1st, which is after many program's deadline). Its absolutely gut wrenching waiting on someone else hold your future in their hands so lightly.

I dealt with this last year, a rotation I did in August didn't get my SLOE in until some point in October. I had to email the coordinator more than once. I was worried I was going to annoy them and have it negatively impact my letter, but luckily I was told at interviews it was strong. I would recommend sending another email or maybe calling the program coordinator or their med student coordinator. Just be polite and friendly about it, even if you are feeling impatient and freaked out about not having the letter yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Geez. Where did you ppl audition? I was at three places and all sloes were in within a week or two. The last one took 3 days. Good luck hope it comes soon

Same here... I'm at about 4 weeks waiting now... this is my second sloe.... I've gotten 10 invites so far, but feel like I've been glazed over by a lot of programs that are likely just screening me out...

I'm in my final week of my first away rotation. I have a non-SLOE letter from my EM clerkship director at home but since we don't have a residency, he couldn't write me a SLOE. My CD at my current away says that sometimes it takes as long as a month before she can get them done...I'm just hoping it's faster, because I'm pretty certain I'm getting screened out of some programs b/c of my lack of any SLOEs (I've actually received a few e-mails asking me about it. womp womp)...

Anyway, depending on your relationship with the PD, I'd say either e-mail him directly or actually call the coordinator instead of email...

I had this same problem last year. One of my away rotations that I finished in early September didn't turn in my SLOE until beginning of November. I definitely missed out on many interview invitations because of this and it's pretty sad how much something like this can impact your application. That being said, I did match at a great program in the location I was hoping to do my training.

Thanks for all the replies, the situation really sucks and it is a little reassuring that there are other people in my situation. I have gotten 8 interview invites without any SLOEs but that doesn't make me feel any better about waiting so long for 1 letter. I think I will give them 14 days and then call the coordinator if the SLOE is still not in by then

Thanks for all the replies, the situation really sucks and it is a little reassuring that there are other people in my situation. I have gotten 8 interview invites without any SLOEs but that doesn't make me feel any better about waiting so long for 1 letter. I think I will give them 14 days and then call the coordinator if the SLOE is still not in by then

8 interviews? Whelp. I guess I can't use my letters as an excuse anymore. Good to know I just suck. Ha