Waiting another year as reapplicant - will it hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seren1051

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian applicant who applied to MD program last cycle. With cGPA/sGPA of 3.73/3.72, graduated 2013 with BA in Biology/Chemistry from PA university and MCAT of 34 (11PS/11VR/12BS) and below-average EC (ER volunteer ~200 hours, Full-time Research employment for 1.5 years, undergraduate research for some time, no publications), I applied to ~20 schools, well across low-mid-tiers, early (all done by August) and ended up with 2 II, followed by one waitlist and one rejection.

I was thinking of applying again this cycle before decided to seek for help in SDN. I posted similar question to re-applicant subforum and received numberous great feedbacks - thank you for all of you, especially @GrapesofRath for sincere opinion.

Since last cycle, I did add several aspects to my EC, especially the non-clinical volunteer activities:
- AIDS hospice and helping underserved patients finding resources through hospital's family care system, although both of these have started since last application and are fledgling at best
- Physician shadowing
- 2 papers published (not 1/2/3 author though),
- Full-time researcher/technician in a different lab.

I was, however, not sure if I added enough to my EC, and after hearing from number of different people, gearing towards waiting another year to mature my EC, in both Clinical aspect and the community/underserved aspect.

Another weakness I've noticed is that my imbalances of LOR - since I have only one from Academics-related professor (all 3 are either job supervisor or research-related), by taking post-bacc courses in coming year, I should have chances to secure additional LORs. Tuition for that should be covered by my job.

That being said, there will be two main disadvantages to waiting another year:

1. the MCAT. Since my 34 MCAT was taken October 2014, some schools will take it if I reapply next year; some might not, and some will, although emphasis will be placed on the new MCAT. Although I fully acknowledge that taking MCAT again and blowing up on it will be a death mark on my application, I think this is something I can pull off - at least score around what I've gotten last time.

2. Then, what I am really worried about is: Will waiting another year to sort these out - that will make four years since graduation by time of application, and five by matriculation - be detrimental to my chances, more so than jumping on it this year? But then if I am rejected again, to a good number of schools I'll be a third time reapplicant next year!

I am still preparing to apply this year, so that I won't be late in sending in applications. There are also several schools that I am sending my applications to where I won't be a reapplicant. However, after seeing no new LORs and only a mediocre improvements on EC front, I guess I got a little discouraged about jumping onto it again this cycle.

If all things don't work out, I'll have to look towards DO and/or SMP, although right now I'm seeing them as a last-resort thingy.

Any input and every input will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

2. Then, what I am really worried about is: Will waiting another year to sort these out - that will make four years since graduation by time of application, and five by matriculation - be detrimental to my chances, more so than jumping on it this year? But then if I am rejected again, to a good number of schools I'll be a third time reapplicant next year!
The number of years from graduation is not a problem.
Being a third time re-applicant is a problem. Some schools do not even accept this many applications.