waiting (another) year to apply- advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So your question is should you apply this cycle with a January MCAT? Or what to do in your second gap year?

Reactions: 1 user
Look up what schools you're applying to. If you are planning to take the current MCAT this year then you'll be fine. Make sure you have a backup just in case you don't get a good score (with your GPA and ECs I would shoot for a 34+). Keep practicing and do your best. That's all anyone can really ask of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup so basically you don't have a 2014 MCAT backup... so you gotta make the January test count.

Reactions: 1 users
The January MCAT will be the current MCAT, before it switches to the new one. That's what I'm aiming for, and with the extra 3 months full time studying I don't want to even think about not doing well..haha...but I guess I would have to sit for the new MCAT/restudy beforehand if I needed to. Not ideal.
My premed adviser is generally very uplifting when she sometimes shouldn't be. However, one of the few things that is cold-cut that she told us was if you need to take the MCAT twice, either take the current MCAT or the MCAT15 twice, but DO NOT take the current one once then take the MCAT15 as the redemption test. It, in her words, is "like making a C on an Organic I test, then taking a Biochem II final to replace that Organic grade."

Reactions: 2 users
I think you should study your absolute hardest (obviously you knew that haha) and rock the MCAT. Otherwise you could be in a sticky situation where you may have to take the new MCAT. You have a solid GPA and EC's so if you do well on the MCAT and submit on June 1 (or the first day AMCAS accepts submissions) you have a good chance. Once you finish the MCAT, focus on getting your LOR's as well as completing your personal statement that way you're ready to submit immediately. Also try to get paid clinical experience so you have something to talk about in secondaries/interviews for what you did during your gap years.

:)
well thats the good thing from this cycle!! my PS is all done and polished after months of working on it, I was paid in research, and have plenty of solid letters, I will look into paid clinical experience though!! thanks, and I will 100% be the nutjob who is submitting the first second it is open next year haha

DUH haha that totally flew over my head. But yea looks like you're in a good position. One example I can think of for paid experience is an ER scribe, I know schools like that and you get to see a lot also.
Good luck on the mcat!

I don't see how such a black and white statement could be made when the test isn't out yet...I also wouldn't have a choice so its irrelevant, obviously going to have to just rock it the first time around :)
Well, ask any medical student that took a practice MCAT15 exam after taking their current MCAT. The new test is no joke.

I don't have anything in the way of advice, but just wanted to let you know that I'm in a similar position (also graduated in 2013) and my next gap year is also unplanned and my MCAT pending. We can do this!

Reactions: 1 users
I don't have anything in the way of advice, but just wanted to let you know that I'm in a similar position (also graduated in 2013) and my next gap year is also unplanned and my MCAT pending. We can do this!

woo!

I've taken a 8-9 day break from MCAT studying and the world just feels brighter....haha, when are you aiming to take it?

Well, ask any medical student that took a practice MCAT15 exam after taking their current MCAT. The new test is no joke.
haha I know I've heard the trial sections have been rough. I was referring to what you said about how you can't show improvement between the old and new test. I'm sure it's not ideal but, like I said, I wouldn't have a choice if it came down to it, so I am planning on studying like crazy so I'm not in that position come February haha

-sent from my iPhone

woo!

I've taken a 8-9 day break from MCAT studying and the world just feels brighter....haha, when are you aiming to take it?

I've had a break about that long too, and I totally agree lol: a truly brighter and better world. I'm aiming for Oct 25 and trying really hard not to treat this date like a moving target.
Feel free to PM me anytime down the road if you need moral support haha, I know it can feel pretty frustrating to delay things. It's great that you'll have some time to do full time study, I'm sure you'll knock it out. Best of luck!

I've had a break about that long too, and I totally agree lol: a truly brighter and better world. I'm aiming for Oct 25 and trying really hard not to treat this date like a moving target.
Feel free to PM me anytime down the road if you need moral support haha, I know it can feel pretty frustrating to delay things. It's great that you'll have some time to do full time study, I'm sure you'll knock it out. Best of luck!

I know EXACTLY what you mean by treating it like a moving target haha.

feel free to PM me as well, good luck!!!