Navy Waiting for EMDP2 Navy Selection Board Results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTI-2-MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, but are there any active-duty Sailors on here who recently submitted an application package for the Navy's EMDP2 selection? Do you have any insight into when the results will be announced? From what I heard, the BUMED board convened in December, made their selections and forwarded the selectees' packages to USUHS for final approval/selection. I also heard that results would be announced in a NAVADMIN mid-January. Does anyone have any other updates?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey CTI-2-MD,
That is the all the information I have as well, From you previous posts I see that you already applied, do you have any tips on putting a package together? I finish my Bachelors this year so I will be eligible, but feel a bit lost in the mix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey CTI-2-MD,
That is the all the information I have as well, From you previous posts I see that you already applied, do you have any tips on putting a package together? I finish my Bachelors this year so I will be eligible, but feel a bit lost in the mix.
I, too, had a lot of questions when compiling my package. With it being the first year the Navy is part of the program, I didn't have any good examples or experienced applicants to turn to. Talking with the POC, I was under the impression that they will be using this year's application process to improve it for next year. If I am lucky enough to get selected, I'll let you know and I will be more than willing to give you any guidance I can when you apply. If I'm not selected, then we will be navigating next year's application process together :)

I'll be submitting for this upcoming board. Good to know the results come fairly quickly. I'll be finishing my bachelor's in June.

@Senseijoey
What's your package looking like? I have to retake the SAT because I took it like 12 years ago, lol.
Still waiting for that NAVADMIN to come out but hopefully results will be out soon. I recommend taking your SAT or ACT sooner than later. I barely squeezed into a testing session. Got my scores 8 weeks later, just time. I have heard of people getting their scores as late as 12 to 16 weeks after the test.

I, too, had a lot of questions when compiling my package. With it being the first year the Navy is part of the program, I didn't have any good examples or experienced applicants to turn to. Talking with the POC, I was under the impression that they will be using this year's application process to improve it for next year. If I am lucky enough to get selected, I'll let you know and I will be more than willing to give you any guidance I can when you apply. If I'm not selected, then we will be navigating next year's application process together :)

Any word on how competitive it will be? I'm assuming very.

I'll be submitting for this upcoming board. Good to know the results come fairly quickly. I'll be finishing my bachelor's in June.

@Senseijoey
What's your package looking like? I have to retake the SAT because I took it like 12 years ago, lol.
I also have to take the SAT still , I was also wondering how competitive GPA is going to be, I am patiently waiting for the new navadmin to come out. I did hear they released the results to the triads and selectees.

I also have to take the SAT still , I was also wondering how competitive GPA is going to be, I am patiently waiting for the new navadmin to come out. I did hear they released the results to the triads and selectees.

I'm banking on them looking at more than just GPA. My SAT is going to be killer, God willing (based on previous SAT score, ASVAB, GRE), and my GPA isn't horrible. I'm hoping that they look at major rigor and ECs like HCE, because I have a lot of that.

Joey,
When you say that they released the results to the triads and selectees, are you referring to the FB post that EMDP2 made last week stating that the board had convened, selectees were chosen, and the names were released to the the Navy for notification of selectees? The POC I spoke with last month stated that all applicants will be notified of results via a NAVADMIN message, not via their CoC. I just want to make sure that is still the case, because I am still waiting to hear. Do you know for sure that selectees were already notified via their respective triads?

Joey,
When you say that they released the results to the triads and selectees, are you referring to the FB post that EMDP2 made last week stating that the board had convened, selectees were chosen, and the names were released to the the Navy for notification of selectees? The POC I spoke with last month stated that all applicants will be notified of results via a NAVADMIN message, not via their CoC. I just want to make sure that is still the case, because I am still waiting to hear. Do you know for sure that selectees were already notified via their respective triads?
I'm banking on them looking at more than just GPA. My SAT is going to be killer, God willing (based on previous SAT score, ASVAB, GRE), and my GPA isn't horrible. I'm hoping that they look at major rigor and ECs like HCE, because I have a lot of that.
CTI-2-MD: I do not know for sure, I realize face book is not the most reliable resource and the POC would know much better than I would. With buddies of mine who have applied for other programs the triads were notified first, so between that and the Facebook post, it seemed as if that was going to be the case. but I guess not.
Matthew9Thirtyfive: Forgive my ignorance but what are EC's (educational credits/courses?) and HCE. There is not much information on how jobs effect the selection, I understand it is open to the entire enlisted navy but if someone is an IDC or other type of corpsman with hands on experience, do they get looked at the same or favorably? These question are far above our pay grades but it never hurts to ask.

CTI-2-MD: I do not know for sure, I realize face book is not the most reliable resource and the POC would know much better than I would. With buddies of mine who have applied for other programs the triads were notified first, so between that and the Facebook post, it seemed as if that was going to be the case. but I guess not.
Matthew9Thirtyfive: Forgive my ignorance but what are EC's (educational credits/courses?) and HCE. There is not much information on how jobs effect the selection, I understand it is open to the entire enlisted navy but if someone is an IDC or other type of corpsman with hands on experience, do they get looked at the same or favorably? These question are far above our pay grades but it never hurts to ask.

My bad. ECs are extra curriculars like publications, volunteering, etc. HCE is healthcare experience.

As far as I know, being an IDC doesn't give you an automatic advantage. Someone I talked to recently who was in the first cohort (who happened to be the equivalent of an IDC) said that most of those accepted had little to no medical experience.

Folks, I would expect results shortly. The USU staff has selected the names and now it's just up to big navy to release them.

As far as selection criteria, the first two cohorts were limited by who could meet all the standards as listed in the instructions. In other words, it was much more likely that someone did not meet a prerequisite than something like a prior career field becoming important.

Reactions: 1 users
Folks, I would expect results shortly. The USU staff has selected the names and now it's just up to big navy to release them.

As far as selection criteria, the first two cohorts were limited by who could meet all the standards as listed in the instructions. In other words, it was much more likely that someone did not meet a prerequisite than something like a prior career field becoming important.
Thanks! I'll keep my ear to the ground.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the EMDP2 FY-17 guidelines/Instructions would be posted?

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanted to resurrect this thread. I was just selected for this program and am willing to answer questions about putting the application package together. As I get further along, I will happily answer questions about the program.

Reactions: 3 users
Matthew9Thirtyfive,

Congratulations on being selected to EMDP2! I am a Navy Nuke and am trying to branch out into this program with the hopes of becoming a physician. This is my very first experience with officer packages and I was wondering if I could garner some information from your experiences with the package submission process. My questions consist of the following:

(1) What was your format for the personal statement? Specifically, did you utilize a formal letter style and/or was it on navy letterhead? I have all the content of mine just wondering how this is supposed to look.

(2) How did you obtain the "interview statement from an active duty physician?" Did you document it through a formal letter of some type or did you use the interview appraisal sheet (i.e. NAVCRUIT 1131/5)?

(3) Given that the SAT was converted from a 2400 top score with 3 sections To a 1600 top score with 2 sections, did you submit a conversion from the official college-board website to provide proof that you met requirements?

(4) The BUDMEDINST states: "SF 88 or DD 2808 and SF 93 or DD 2807 within the last 12 months to include human immunodeficiency virus results." My last DD 2808 & DD 2807 were completed in March of 2015. I interpret this to mean that I would need to perform another DD 2808 & DD 2807 to include HIV results. My HMCS says this is not the case and that the DD 2808 & DD 2807 are still good until the next 5 year physical. He says that I would simply need to perform another HIV result to bring it within the 12 month windows. What was your experience? Just asking because I don't my package to be thrown away for failing to meet "100 percent of all submission requirements" like the NAVADMIN for the 2017 results stated.

Any help that you (or others) can provide would be much appreciated.

Very Respectfully,

UnusSinePretium

Matthew9Thirtyfive,

Congratulations on being selected to EMDP2! I am a Navy Nuke and am trying to branch out into this program with the hopes of becoming a physician. This is my very first experience with officer packages and I was wondering if I could garner some information from your experiences with the package submission process. My questions consist of the following:

Of course! I will start out by saying straight away that nukes need something special. Make sure you read the message, because I believe nukes need a special release letter from their community. Don't forget that if you haven't gotten it yet.

(1) What was your format for the personal statement? Specifically, did you utilize a formal letter style and/or was it on navy letterhead? I have all the content of mine just wondering how this is supposed to look.

Standard letter format (i.e., have From/To/Subj: lines and number your paragraphs, plus your signature at the bottom). Your YNs can help with that if you can't find an example, but it's pretty self explanatory, and honestly I don't think they are too strict on the format.

(2) How did you obtain the "interview statement from an active duty physician?" Did you document it through a formal letter of some type or did you use the interview appraisal sheet (i.e. NAVCRUIT 1131/5)?

It's simply a standard letter on Navy letterhead. Your interviewer should already know how to write it. If you only have access to a limited number of docs and they don't know how to do it, PM me and I will send you a copy of one of my letters (yes, you can send more than one).

As for how I got them, I had a meeting with each of my ship sup docs under the expectation that if they thought they could write me good letters, they would. Your interview letters along with your personal statement are just as important as your scores, if not more so.

(3) Given that the SAT was converted from a 2400 top score with 3 sections To a 1600 top score with 2 sections, did you submit a conversion from the official college-board website to provide proof that you met requirements?

I went through this last year, as they changed the exam just after the message came out. BUMED is aware of the change and will judge it accordingly. All you need to send is your score profile sheet.

(4) The BUDMEDINST states: "SF 88 or DD 2808 and SF 93 or DD 2807 within the last 12 months to include human immunodeficiency virus results." My last DD 2808 & DD 2807 were completed in March of 2015. I interpret this to mean that I would need to perform another DD 2808 & DD 2807 to include HIV results. My HMCS says this is not the case and that the DD 2808 & DD 2807 are still good until the next 5 year physical. He says that I would simply need to perform another HIV result to bring it within the 12 month windows. What was your experience? Just asking because I don't my package to be thrown away for failing to meet "100 percent of all submission requirements" like the NAVADMIN for the 2017 results stated.

Very Respectfully,

UnusSinePretium

He is incorrect. You need a current 2808 and a current 2807 within the last 12 months. I would show him the BUMED instructions, and if he still won't work with you, I would call or email the contact in the new message. HMC Phetkhamyath is extremely helpful and will reply usually the same day.

Last edited:
Matthew9Thirtyfive,

Very Respectfully,

UnusSinePretium
1. You cannot use a Navy or Command letterhead. Use a standard memo format, and include your references (BUMEDINST & NAVADMIN) and enclosures. Make sure your enclosures are in the same order as outlined in the references. When unsure on formatting, refer to Navy Correspondence Manual.

2. The interview statement is essentially an LoR. Don't worry about the form, it can be formatted the same way as your CO's LoR. This is where you would ideally go for an O-6, If possible. The reason being their rank does carry more weight unfortunately, and they may have a letterhead. Don't worry about the NAVCRUIT.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "new" SAT still based on an 800 point grading system? The only difference being the addition of the 800 point writing portion? If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it. They will just look at your math & verbal scores.

4. Your HMCS is DEAD WRONG. He may be talking about requirements from another program such as LDO/CWO. The writing is in Black and White. Again, not sure if he is your IDC or not but hopefully not. If not, simply make an appointment with your PCM to have this done. Fill out your medical history on the 2807 beforehand (typed, not handwritten). If that's the route you use, that would be the PERFECT opportunity to talk to the PCM and see if they can help you with setting up an interview with someone higher up for your letter.
If HMCS IS your IDC and giving you a hard time, you must stand your ground and say "these are the requirements." Unfortunately rank and ego can be a bad mix sometimes, so if he's creating a conflict as far as getting your requirements done, I encourage you to talk to the POC on the NAVADMIN & use your CoC.

Follow the directions in the BUMEDINST very closely, it's important. I recommend you also keep an open dialogue with the POC on the NAVADMIN. He should answer alot of the questions you may have.
Once the package is complete, GET EYES ON IT! Talk to your CCC and have them look it over. Have your LCPO, DIVO, & DH tear it apart for you - better to have them do it than the selection board.

Also, don't you need a 1306 from your ECM since you're a nuke?

Start working on all of this stuff, but I would highly recommend that you run a chit up to the skipper to request to apply to the program. Include the BUMEDINST & NAVADMIN. This way he/she is aware that you are applying, so it won't be a surprise when you ask for endorsement. Also you will have a papertrail.

It's going to be a WHOLE LOT of navigating and paperwork, but after it's done its will all be worth it if you get selected.

Best of luck!!!

Everybody,

Thank you so much for your help today. Please keep the advice coming becayse I need all of it I can get.

I am working toward the conditional release from nuclear power. Just waiting to hear back from the ECM.

Again, this is my very first package. I have been reading as much as I can; however, I feel the BUDMEDINST is silent for this program on several things (unlike other programs such as MECP or MSCIPP). For instance, if you had additional enclosures such as volunteer service letter and/or a former captains additional professional recommendation, where would you place them if at all? Furthermore, what should the entire package be placed in? A trifold folder or binder or something else?

Again thanks so much for your help! Hope this helps others too.

Very Respectfully,

UnusSinePretium

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1. You cannot use a Navy or Command letterhead. Use a standard memo format, and include your references (BUMEDINST & NAVADMIN) and enclosures. Make sure your enclosures are in the same order as outlined in the references. When unsure on formatting, refer to Navy Correspondence Manual.

Edit: this is correct. The formatting should probably be official looking, as all the statements I've read were. It's always better to be more formal.

2. The interview statement is essentially an LoR. Don't worry about the form, it can be formatted the same way as your CO's LoR. This is where you would ideally go for an O-6, If possible. The reason being their rank does carry more weight unfortunately, and they may have a letterhead. Don't worry about the NAVCRUIT.

Content carries significant weight, per the folks who reviewed our packets. During orientation even just today, they reiterated that point. My evals came from O-4 GMOs, but they were glowing.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "new" SAT still based on an 800 point grading system? The only difference being the addition of the 800 point writing portion? If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it. They will just look at your math & verbal scores.

The sections are different now. It is out of 1600, so the message listing an 1800/2400 minimum no longer applies, and just lopping off the writing component doesn't really convert. But they are already aware of the issue (I actually was the one that first brought it to their attention).

4. Your HMCS is DEAD WRONG. He may be talking about requirements from another program such as LDO/CWO. The writing is in Black and White. Again, not sure if he is your IDC or not but hopefully not. If not, simply make an appointment with your PCM to have this done. Fill out your medical history on the 2807 beforehand (typed, not handwritten). If that's the route you use, that would be the PERFECT opportunity to talk to the PCM and see if they can help you with setting up an interview with someone higher up for your letter.
If HMCS IS your IDC and giving you a hard time, you must stand your ground and say "these are the requirements." Unfortunately rank and ego can be a bad mix sometimes, so if he's creating a conflict as far as getting your requirements done, I encourage you to talk to the POC on the NAVADMIN & use your CoC.

Follow the directions in the BUMEDINST very closely, it's important. I recommend you also keep an open dialogue with the POC on the NAVADMIN. He should answer alot of the questions you may have.
Once the package is complete, GET EYES ON IT! Talk to your CCC and have them look it over. Have your LCPO, DIVO, & DH tear it apart for you - better to have them do it than the selection board.

Also, don't you need a 1306 from your ECM since you're a nuke?

Start working on all of this stuff, but I would highly recommend that you run a chit up to the skipper to request to apply to the program. Include the BUMEDINST & NAVADMIN. This way he/she is aware that you are applying, so it won't be a surprise when you ask for endorsement. Also you will have a papertrail.

It's going to be a WHOLE LOT of navigating and paperwork, but after it's done its will all be worth it if you get selected.

Best of luck!!!

Agreed.

Edit: The work to get into this program was very worth it. The amount of support and resources they have provided already in the three weeks we've been at USUHS (haven't even started class yet!) are incredible. They really set you up for success. If you want specifics, pm me.

Last edited:
Everybody,

Thank you so much for your help today. Please keep the advice coming becayse I need all of it I can get.

I am working toward the conditional release from nuclear power. Just waiting to hear back from the ECM.

Again, this is my very first package. I have been reading as much as I can; however, I feel the BUDMEDINST is silent for this program on several things (unlike other programs such as MECP or MSCIPP). For instance, if you had additional enclosures such as volunteer service letter and/or a former captains additional professional recommendation, where would you place them if at all? Furthermore, what should the entire package be placed in? A trifold folder or binder or something else?

Again thanks so much for your help! Hope this helps others too.

Very Respectfully,

UnusSinePretium

You talk about them in your PS or get your letter writers to discuss them. Do not submit what is not mentioned in the BUMED instructions. This is per HMC Phetkhamyath, the POC listed on the message. If you email her, she will be a huge help. She will freely answer all your questions and give you pointers. You can also call her, but she responds to emails fairly quickly.

Edit:
Also, there is no required format for submitting the whole package. Place everything in the order it appears on the BUMED instructions just in a regular folder, with no staples. Then mail it. I mailed it priority express. If you let HMC know you sent it, she will tell you when she gets it. She is the one who processes all the packets, so she will be your best resource; however, I will answer whatever I can if you have a question.

Absolutely not true. My sponsor had his personal statement on Navy letterhead, as did I. I was told this was appropriate formatting by one of the POCs. It may not be required, but it is certainly not prohibited.
It is ABSOLUTELY prohibited. The use of the Navy letterhead requires the name and full address of the activity under "Department Of The Navy;" this means that your personal statement for your package was presented as official correspondence on behalf of the command. This is not authorized as per the Navy Correspondence Manual SECNAV M-5216.5:

Use of Letterhead Stationery

(1) Use command letterhead stationery only for official matters of the command. Printing names of officials on letterhead stationery is prohibited. When using letterhead stationery, the “From:” line will always contain the title of the activity head and command name. The “From:” line will never contain the name of an individual.

(2) Use command letterhead stationery when corresponding as a member of a DON approved board or committee. Indicate the letter is from the signing official by using the board or committee title in the “From:” line.

(3) Do not use letterhead as personal stationery. For example, CDR Baker, captain of the ship’s basketball team, may not use it for matters involving the team.

(4) The use of letterhead is authorized for commanders, commanding officers, officer’s in charge and directors or those who have signature authority for commands that are represented in the SNDL.

Content carries significant weight, per the folks who reviewed our packets. During orientation even just today, they reiterated that point. My evals came from O-4 GMOs, but they were glowing.
Agreed. It's unfortunate that many selection boards love to correlate the weight of LoR's with the rank of the person signing it. I'm glad that this board focuses on substance instead.

The sections are different now. It is out of 1600, so the message listing an 1800/2400 minimum no longer applies, and just lopping off the writing component doesn't really convert. But they are already aware of the issue (I actually was the one that first brought it to their attention).
Ahh, I did not know they made more changes to the exam.

It is ABSOLUTELY prohibited. The use of the Navy letterhead requires the name and full address of the activity under "Department Of The Navy;" this means that your personal statement for your package was presented as official correspondence on behalf of the command. This is not authorized as per the Navy Correspondence Manual SECNAV M-5216.5:

Use of Letterhead Stationery

(1) Use command letterhead stationery only for official matters of the command. Printing names of officials on letterhead stationery is prohibited. When using letterhead stationery, the “From:” line will always contain the title of the activity head and command name. The “From:” line will never contain the name of an individual.

(2) Use command letterhead stationery when corresponding as a member of a DON approved board or committee. Indicate the letter is from the signing official by using the board or committee title in the “From:” line.

(3) Do not use letterhead as personal stationery. For example, CDR Baker, captain of the ship’s basketball team, may not use it for matters involving the team.

(4) The use of letterhead is authorized for commanders, commanding officers, officer’s in charge and directors or those who have signature authority for commands that are represented in the SNDL.

You are correct. I went back and looked, and it was not on Navy Letterhead. My CO letter and both of my LORs were. Not sure why I thought my PS was on it too. Probably because I submitted it a freaking year ago and just conflated all the enclosures. Sorry about that @UnusSinePretium. I edited my original post so no one accidentally sees that.

However, your PS should still be formatted that way. It probably isn't too important, but every PS from selectees I've read were formatted that way, with the From/To/Subj lines and numbered paragraphs.

Agreed. It's unfortunate that many selection boards love to correlate the weight of LoR's with the rank of the person signing it. I'm glad that this board focuses on substance instead.

Ahh, I did not know they made more changes to the exam.

Seems that way. A bunch of us had LORs from pretty low level docs, but they were spectacular letters. The Assoc. Dean of Admissions at USUHS told us we were selected partly because of the letters, and partly because of our personal statements. The grades matter, but what set us apart was how we presented our stories and what other people said about us.

I honestly still feel like I pulled one over on someone. There are some people here with amazing accomplishments and stories. You really have to sell yourself and why you are the person to pay it forward back to your service.

Last edited:
You are correct. I went back and looked, and it was not on Navy Letterhead. My CO letter and both of my LORs were. Not sure why I thought my PS was on it too. Probably because I submitted it a freaking year ago and just conflated all the enclosures. Sorry about that @UnusSinePretium. I edited my original post so no one accidentally sees that.

However, your PS should still be formatted that way. It probably isn't too important, but every PS from selectees I've read were formatted that way, with the From/To/Subj lines and numbered paragraphs.
No worries, I also had to check and make sure I wasn't crazy and making things up :p
I know you'll be busy with school for a while, but I recommend becoming familiar with that manual. Not saying memorize it or anything, just getting into the habit of referencing it. It really helps when trying to figure out stuff like formatting, or what type of correspondence is appropriate for different situations. You're going to be an officer soon (congrats btw!), and once you're in USUHS a lot of those young Ensigns will be turning to you folks for help.

No worries, I also had to check and make sure I wasn't crazy and making things up :p
I know you'll be busy with school for a while, but I recommend becoming familiar with that manual. Not saying memorize it or anything, just getting into the habit of referencing it. It really helps when trying to figure out stuff like formatting, or what type of correspondence is appropriate for different situations. You're going to be an officer soon (congrats btw!), and once you're in USUHS a lot of those young Ensigns will be turning to you folks for help.

Yeah I referenced it when I wrote the PS and for the CO letter (she wanted an outline). I never actually do anything without having a reference or evidence. I just conflated all my paperwork in my mind since it's been so long. :p

Also, I was LPO at my last command when I left, so I've had to write plenty of packets for my guys. I just don't memorize things I can easily look up that will never be life or death.

Thanks for the correction though. I hate giving wrong info out, so I appreciate looking out. I only check this forum on my phone, so I stupidly didn't bother to check before I wrote. I won't make that mistake again!

I have a question regarding the FLTMPS "Division Officers Personnel Record Summary." You can print it from FLTMPS directly from the website OR it provides access to the Word Document format that can be edited. I was wondering which is preferred/most utilized because the one directly from FLTMPS doesn't have my evals or a NAM I've recieved and overall it just looks slightly "incomplete." What are y'alls thoughts?

Additionally, I just started this semester in a new program for an MS in Microbiology. Would it be wise to include a letter from my advisor indicating the coursework and what grades I'm on track to receive? Or do you think this is a little superfluous?

Thanks again guys.

I have a question regarding the FLTMPS "Division Officers Personnel Record Summary." You can print it from FLTMPS directly from the website OR it provides access to the Word Document format that can be edited. I was wondering which is preferred/most utilized because the one directly from FLTMPS doesn't have my evals or a NAM I've recieved and overall it just looks slightly "incomplete." What are y'alls thoughts?

I used the printout. It didn't have my NAM on it either, so I wrote it in and sent a copy of the 1650. Honestly, you can email HMC Phetkhamyath, but in our sit down with her, she said that stuff didn't matter too much in their decision.

Additionally, I just started this semester in a new program for an MS in Microbiology. Would it be wise to include a letter from my advisor indicating the coursework and what grades I'm on track to receive? Or do you think this is a little superfluous?

Thanks again guys.

They include masters GPA now in the decision making, but if you don't have any grades yet then I wouldn't send anything in. I would find a way to work it into one of your letters (either CO or interview appraisals). Don't send anything not listed in the BUMED instruction (with the exception of an extra interview letter--I was told by HMC that two letters is better than one, and she's the one who goes through all the packets).

I thought of something else I've been wondering about and I've meant to ask because the panel seems to give y'all excellent feedback.

How does healthcare experience (HCE) weigh in decisions? In my case, its limited to 3 out of 4 semesters of nursing; however, that was over 8 years ago. I've explained in my PS why I requested dismissal (i.e. the birth of my eldest son) and that nonetheless I obtained an associates before I joined the Navy. Nonetheless, how does any of that compare to the HM's day-to-day interactions with medicine on a deckplate level? I mean I'm in engineering but, again, its apples and oranges.

I thought of something else I've been wondering about and I've meant to ask because the panel seems to give y'all excellent feedback.

How does healthcare experience (HCE) weigh in decisions? In my case, its limited to 3 out of 4 semesters of nursing; however, that was over 8 years ago. I've explained in my PS why I requested dismissal (i.e. the birth of my eldest son) and that nonetheless I obtained an associates before I joined the Navy. Nonetheless, how does any of that compare to the HM's day-to-day interactions with medicine on a deckplate level? I mean I'm in engineering but, again, its apples and oranges.

The bad news is that it doesn't. You can't compare an engineer with some nursing courses to a corpsman who treats patients all day every day (or even one who works in a lab like two of our cohort members this year). Also, this year all five of us have significant medical experience.

However, the good news is that medical experience, while helpful in that it can get you good topics for your PS and good letters, doesn't seem to be required. This year, the Navy is the only branch where every member had medical experience. Half our cohort has none. Additionally, last year, three of the original five Navy selectees were not corpsmen, and one was an MM. He had to drop out of the program, but the alternate who replaced him was an HM--which means that MM beat out at least one corpsman.

I'll say it again. Email HMC. She will tell you flat out if you are competitive. However, with good scores and great letters and PS, you can get in with little to no experience. You just really have to sell it.

Hey guys, I've been working through the application package and talking with various people about this program. One thing that people has often asked me is this: How many applicants total are there generally for the Navy's EMDP2? I've researched a little and haven't come up with anything. I thought the ones who have gotten selected may have an idea OR they might have discussed it in your in-briefing to the program. Again, any help is much appreciated.

Hey guys, I've been working through the application package and talking with various people about this program. One thing that people has often asked me is this: How many applicants total are there generally for the Navy's EMDP2? I've researched a little and haven't come up with anything. I thought the ones who have gotten selected may have an idea OR they might have discussed it in your in-briefing to the program. Again, any help is much appreciated.

We talked about it a little in our orientation, but we were basically told not to tell anyone too many details, including that kind of information. You can email HMC directly and ask her, and she may give you an answer.

All I can say is that they send 10 packets to USUHS after BUMED looks through all the applicants, and this year there were definitely more than that. About 8% of the applicants didn't qualify. The rest qualified and were ranked based on letters, personal statement, and grades.

I wouldn't worry too much about how many people applied. Make your application the best it can be, and you will have a good chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Time is running down the line for this year's applications! I have a quick question on formatting "Enclosures." According to the correspondence manual, an enclosure has the word "Enclosure (X)" in the bottom right hand corner & the appropriate page # centerline at the bottom of the page (except for the 1st page). How did everyone indicate that things such as Academic Transcripts or Evaluation Reports were "Enclosures" although they have nearly no space at the bottom, if at all? This is easily done for typed up pages, recommendations, and others; however, this seems to be a conundrum for me in this scenario. Thanks for the help in advance!

Hey guys,

Time is running down the line for this year's applications! I have a quick question on formatting "Enclosures." According to the correspondence manual, an enclosure has the word "Enclosure (X)" in the bottom right hand corner & the appropriate page # centerline at the bottom of the page (except for the 1st page). How did everyone indicate that things such as Academic Transcripts or Evaluation Reports were "Enclosures" although they have nearly no space at the bottom, if at all? This is easily done for typed up pages, recommendations, and others; however, this seems to be a conundrum for me in this scenario. Thanks for the help in advance!

I didn’t do that for any of my enclosures, including my recommendations and personal statement. I simply printed everything out and put it in the folder in the order listed in the instruction, no staples, and mailed it. My sponsor didn’t do that for his package either, though he did center the page number on the bottom of his personal statement. They aren’t too strict on how it looks. It’s more about the content as long as you have what you are required to have in there.

I second everything said here. Be hyperfocused on content, especially in your Personal Statement where you have the most control. Make sure everything is exactly as they requested it ( i.e. don't fail to include something or have anything out of order). Also, I recommend making a copy of your entire package when its done prior to mailing off the originals. It felt like sending my baby through the mail lol

Reactions: 2 users
I second everything said here. Be hyperfocused on content, especially in your Personal Statement where you have the most control. Make sure everything is exactly as they requested it ( i.e. don't fail to include something or have anything out of order). Also, I recommend making a copy of your entire package when its done prior to mailing off the originals. It felt like sending my baby through the mail lol

This 100%. I actually didn’t make copies and when I sent it, I felt the same way. I was going nuts until HMC emailed me to let me know she received it.

Thanks for the follow-up guys. Finally got my package mailed off and made a copy too.

I was wondering; does EMDP2 allow you to continue your coursework in your masters program if you've already started it? Even at a slow pace, two years is a enough time to complete most master's programs.

Also, do y'all do any shadowing? Does the program help with reference letter for medical school?

Thanks!

Thanks for the follow-up guys. Finally got my package mailed off and made a copy too.

Good luck! Get ready for a wait. It’s hard, but the best thing to do now is to focus on doing well in your current job.

I was wondering; does EMDP2 allow you to continue your coursework in your masters program if you've already started it? Even at a slow pace, two years is a enough time to complete most master's programs.

No. We are on a very regimented curriculum. You will earn a masters through Emdp2 if you decide to do the research component in the second year. Not everyone does it, as it is extra work and completely optional.

Also, do y'all do any shadowing? Does the program help with reference letter for medical school?

Thanks!

Shadowing: we are supposed to be getting hooked up with shadowing over winter break and in the spring, but they have given us some resources to set stuff up earlier if we want.

Letters: you have to provide a non-science letter and a physician letter. They will write your two science letters and combine them all into a premed committee packet. All you really have to do on a day to day basis is go to class and do well.

I applied this year and now I am anxiously awaiting the results. Just some insight, the new contact is Master Chief Hendricks. He has been a great help throughout this entire process for me. He also stated the results should be out feb/march this year. So good luck to everyone who applied this year. I was a little hesitant to apply due to the fact that I got my degree from an online institution, but I was told as long as it is accredited that will not hinder me. I did have a few questions for any of the members who have been accepted in the program. What was your act or sat score. what was your gpa? what did you focus on in your personal statement? I have already submitted my package but id like to know if there is a trend with their selections. Also, how is the program thus far? are you staying in dorm rooms? What is a typical day like?

Good luck! Get ready for a wait. It’s hard, but the best thing to do now is to focus on doing well in your current job.

No. We are on a very regimented curriculum. You will earn a masters through Emdp2 if you decide to do the research component in the second year. Not everyone does it, as it is extra work and completely optional.

Shadowing: we are supposed to be getting hooked up with shadowing over winter break and in the spring, but they have given us some resources to set stuff up earlier if we want.

Letters: you have to provide a non-science letter and a physician letter. They will write your two science letters and combine them all into a premed committee packet. All you really have to do on a day to day basis is go to class and do well.

Can you apply to any medical school you want? upon acceptance to medical school are you then commissioned as an officer? Thank you for letting us know that you can potentially earn a masters degree with the program because I was wondering.

I applied this year and now I am anxiously awaiting the results. Just some insight, the new contact is Master Chief Hendricks. He has been a great help throughout this entire process for me. He also stated the results should be out feb/march this year. So good luck to everyone who applied this year. I was a little hesitant to apply due to the fact that I got my degree from an online institution, but I was told as long as it is accredited that will not hinder me. I did have a few questions for any of the members who have been accepted in the program. What was your act or sat score. what was your gpa? what did you focus on in your personal statement? I have already submitted my package but id like to know if there is a trend with their selections. Also, how is the program thus far? are you staying in dorm rooms? What is a typical day like?

1) HMCM Hendricks took over during last cycle, but HMC told us not to hesitate to send people her way with questions, as she is still involved. Unless that’s changed in the last two months, she is definitely more talkative.

2) I can PM you with more details about my own package.

3) The program is great. They told us we would have the opportunity to go recruiting for it during breaks if we want, and I am definitely planning on it. This is a great program.

As far as living arrangements, you can live in the dorms if you want, but you pay rent. Most people live in town, because the rent for sizable houses is really low.

A typical day is like a typical day for any other student. Go to class, go home. Some people stay on campus and study, some people don’t. One day a week, we wear our uniforms.

There are some additional things that get thrown in there, and you still have to do your PRTs and annual cyber awareness trainings, but they give you a laptop so that you can access MNP from home (no need to go to USUHS).

Can you apply to any medical school you want? upon acceptance to medical school are you then commissioned as an officer? Thank you for letting us know that you can potentially earn a masters degree with the program because I was wondering.

Most people don’t do the masters. Once you get here and realize it’s really superfluous, there’s a good chance you’ll decide against it. I’m planning on doing it because I already have masters level work done in an area of biology that I can just continue.

You can apply to any LCME accredited school and any DO school. You’re not required to go to USUHS, but you only get the active duty O-1E pay if you attend USUHS. Otherwise you get the HPSP stipend, which isn’t as much. It’s good if you’re single, but it doesn’t cut it for those of us with families (unless your spouse is willing to work or is well off). You commission the summer before starting med school right before you go to ODS.

Most people don’t do the masters. Once you get here and realize it’s really superfluous, there’s a good chance you’ll decide against it. I’m planning on doing it because I already have masters level work done in an area of biology that I can just continue.

You can apply to any LCME accredited school and any DO school. You’re not required to go to USUHS, but you only get the active duty O-1E pay if you attend USUHS. Otherwise you get the HPSP stipend, which isn’t as much. It’s good if you’re single, but it doesn’t cut it for those of us with families (unless your spouse is willing to work or is well off). You commission the summer before starting med school right before you go to ODS.

Thank you! That’s was very helpful.