Waiting for January MCAT and studying during semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN family,

Originally I had planned to take my MCAT this August and study all summer. However, I now feel like it would be better for me to hold off until January (Or the earliest available one next year once dates are released).

Reasons:
I still need to take physics 2 and gen chem 2

My studying motivation/time this summer is low. I am also doing research and working and had hoped to be able to temporarily quit my job but that isn't an option right now.

New plan: Still spend the remainder of the summer reviewing content with quality. Use financial aid during the Fall semester to temporarily leave job to focus on MCAT prep and classes (physics 2 and gen chem 2) which are MCAT prep content conducive to test knowledge. Also, I could possibly afford a Kaplan etc prep class with financial aid/scholarship money.

Does this sound like an alright plan? I am a junior and hope to apply in June 2016.

Thank you for feedback/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I studied during the semester while taking classes that were relevant to the MCAT. I think it hurt more than it helped.

I think the time tested method of ~3 months of hardcore studying is the best way to go about it

If you study during the semester, school will be a major distraction that can only hinder you. I thought I could study for the April test date way back in February, but school got in the way.

I studied during the semester while taking classes that were relevant to the MCAT. I think it hurt more than it helped.

I think the time tested method of ~3 months of hardcore studying is the best way to go about it

regrettably, I wasted the first month of summer and now only have 2 months until the August date. I could take the September one which would give me 96 days from now? That would be about 3 weeks into the semester but if I'm taking mcat centered courses it shouldn't be too bad to neglect them for a bit while mcat prepping.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can gamble august but this late without having taken the pre reqs (I'm guessing you haven't take Orgo I or Orgo II without Chem II... and it's also likely you're missing Biochem?) I find it dangerous. Is there any reason you want to take the MCAT now?

@mikil100 Oh I've finished Orgo 1 and 2 as well as biochem. Our university does it in a weird order. (Gen chem 1, orgo 1, orgo 2, gen chem 2). The only pre-reqs I'm missing are physics 2 and gen chem 2. I wanted to take it now because it's the summer of my Junior year and I wanted to get it out of the way and have the chance at a retake if I don't do well. Next summer, I hope to apply to medical school and I'm worried it won't leave me any cushion if I take the mcat close to the application date.

I graduated this May and I plan on taking the MCAT in Jan 2016 on the earliest date. When do you guys suggest me start studying at the earliest if I dont remember a lot f material from my pre-reqs. I have already purchased all new EK set. Just dont have the motivation to study during the summer.

Yeah studying during the summer is nearly impossible. No motivation whatsoever. You just want to go out and have fun and not worry about biomolecules or amino acids lol.

I think I'm gonna do the same thing OP. I only have 2 classes this fall and I won't have to work so I'll have a good amount of time to devote to mcat prep during the semester. Until then I'm just doing 2-3 verbal passages a day to stay sharp.

I'd rather juggle mcat prep with 8 hours of class a week than work 12 hour days this summer to come home, make food, then study for a couple hours until I sleep again. I need to have free time for a social life to maintain my sanity.

I did my MCAT studying almost entirely during the semester. I was more productive then than I was during my breaks from school. It depends on your personality, but I think it can definitely be done. That semester, I was taking physics and sociology (both of which were easy for me) as well as a couple other classes. I think it complemented my MCAT prep well.

I did my MCAT studying almost entirely during the semester. I was more productive then than I was during my breaks from school. It depends on your personality, but I think it can definitely be done. That semester, I was taking physics and sociology (both of which were easy for me) as well as a couple other classes. I think it complemented my MCAT prep well.

How did you find physics easy, please explain lol? Were you just naturally gifted in it, or did you have some amazing prep book or some amazing teacher?

How did you find physics easy, please explain lol? Were you just naturally gifted in it, or did you have some amazing prep book or some amazing teacher?

My physics class was non-calculus-based, and we were given full-page equation sheets for every test. I'm pretty good at math but I definitely don't think I'm naturally talented with physics!

I was glad the MCAT I took was very light on physics material, because I had a hard time memorizing the equations and concepts after two full semesters of simply being able to look at my notes every time I had to solve a problem.