waiting for MD acceptance before finding someone serious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Show her how committed you are...change your name.

This can be as big an issue as you make it, but it truly matters little when considering what makes a healthy, lasting marriage.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Show her how committed you are...change your name.

This can be as big an issue as you make it, but it truly matters little when considering what makes a healthy, lasting marriage.
please go and never give this advice.

you are whats wrong with men in society, and people like you are the reason society is becoming more and more feminized.

I agree, it's a very minor issue. More symbolic than anything.

It's symbolic... but it's your name! I think it sucks that short of hyphenating (which is kind of awkward and gets complicated after a generation), there's no way to keep both your family names AND get your kids to have them too. Dunno... I wouldn't care about sharing a last name with my husband, but I'd feel sad if my kids and him had the same last name and I was the odd one out.

Members don't see this ad :)

you are whats wrong with men in society, and people like you are the reason society is becoming more and more feminized.

Thanks.

The name changing comment was somewhat sarcastic and not actual advice: The status of a spouse's name does not reflect their level of commitment to a marriage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get this whole 'waiting' thing. Look, just focus on getting that acceptance, and if you happen to meet someone along the way that you are interested in, who you might even have some fun with, date that person!

You date someone because you think it might be fun, and because there is possibly similar interests shared. You never start thinking about serious relationships until you have dated a person for a good few months. Don't over think anything, date, have fun and if doesn't workout, lather, rinse and repeat.;)

Thanks.

The name changing comment was somewhat sarcastic and not actual advice: The status of a spouse's name does not reflect their level of commitment to a marriage.

I've been thinking about the whole name-change issue all day, and talked it over with my wife so I think I can express myself a little better.

I like that my wife and I now have the same last name. It reflects the idea that we were two people but are now one, and that we are now our own family. Of course, it only does this symbolically and thus is not terribly important. I know plenty of hyphenated couples and have nothing against them, but it's just something that I wouldn't want for my own marriage. I feel similarly about pre-nups, but of course when we got married the fee for drafting a pre-nup would have exceeded our net worth so that one was a moot point.

I've been thinking about the whole name-change issue all day, and talked it over with my wife so I think I can express myself a little better.

I like that my wife and I now have the same last name. It reflects the idea that we were two people but are now one, and that we are now our own family. Of course, it only does this symbolically and thus is not terribly important. I know plenty of hyphenated couples and have nothing against them, but it's just something that I wouldn't want for my own marriage. I feel similarly about pre-nups, but of course when we got married the fee for drafting a pre-nup would have exceeded our net worth so that one was a moot point.
It's not about the symbolic crap. It's about society going towards the ideal feminist model, and everyone being feminized. Boys in elementary school now are more feminine than ever... instead of having a little school yard fight like actual boys should do, they'll sit down and share their feelings with the principal and then keep this endless grudge permenantly against each other.

What the..."any sense of being held back?"

Am I the only one surprised at this kind of question even being asked?

I understand why many people pursuing an MD might want a partner on the same track. After all, they're the only ones who'll truly understand the stresses you face, your time constraints, and what you're going through, right? But I don't necessarily agree that's the optimal path. I'm currently in a serious relationship and attending a top 10 private university, while my boyfriend goes to the local state school and is studying Actuarial Science (what's that?). Basically, we come from completely different educational backgrounds. I've never considered our relationship to be holding me back though. Since he has more free time than I do, we're able to see each other much more often than we would if he was pre-med too. And since I'm stressed out the majority of the time, his calmness keeps me more relaxed. I think medical school will present a similar (but more exaggerated) scenario. While I don't expect him to ever completely understand what it's like, or what it'll be like in medical school, it doesn't really take away from the amount of support he gives me nonetheless.

Also, I'm surprised people think female medical students are low maintenance. Most, if not all, medical students, are probably uncompromising, stubborn, and persistent to some degree. After all, that's part of what helps you get to medical school in the first place. I don't think those qualities make for a low maintenance woman.

Like another poster said, if you're so close-minded that you'll only consider a significant other only if their status is up to par with yours, it will really take away from the quality of the relationships you have.

Sorry for rambling..just wanted to share my 2 cents.

It's not about the symbolic crap. It's about society going towards the ideal feminist model, and everyone being feminized. Boys in elementary school now are more feminine than ever... instead of having a little school yard fight like actual boys should do, they'll sit down and share their feelings with the principal and then keep this endless grudge permenantly against each other.

Don't worry, girls are having school yard fights instead.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...na-ramos-l.a-schoolgirl-who-died-after-fight/

I'm not sure why you care. Surely if men do become more feminized, that just means more ladies who want super manly men for you. Overall, this benefits you.

Regarding the name change, do it if you want to. Druggeek is wrong. Changing your name doesn't make you feminine. It makes you someone with a different last name.

I'm not sure why you care. Surely if men do become more feminized, that just means more ladies who want super manly men for you. Overall, this benefits you.

Regarding the name change, do it if you want to. Druggeek is wrong. Changing your name doesn't make you feminine. It makes you someone with a different last name.
:laugh: Yes it definitely does. I wouldn't respect another man who changes his last name to his wife's.

:laugh: Yes it definitely does. I wouldn't respect another man who changes his last name to his wife's.

Why do you put that much weight on it? It's a name. It's so miniscule.

And your disrespect doesn't equate to femininity.

And let me just say that I'm so happy that even if it did, those guys, the ones willing to change their names, are probably getting laid right now.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

And let me just say that I'm so happy that even if it did, those guys, the ones willing to change their names, are probably getting laid right now.
Because family names are these "miniscule" little things that are passed down through generations. Are you honestly trying to trivialize last names? Seriously?

Call me a traditionalist, but males should not give up their last name to females. That's ridiculous. Any woman who expects a man to give up his last name should also ask him to castrate himself while he's at it.

And your third point is total conjecture. I can only hope you're trolling at this point. If you are, well done.

Because family names are these "miniscule" little things are been passed down for generations. Are you honestly trying to trivialize last names? Seriously?

Call me a traditionalist, but males should not give up their last name to females. That's ridiculous. Any woman who expects a man to give up his last name should also ask him to castrate himself while he's at it.

And your third point is total conjecture. I can only hope you're trolling at this point. If you are, well done.

What's in a name, dude? Especially a common one, like Smith? You're really just taking it too seriously.

Ok. You're a traditionalist. Make that work for you. I didn't say that anyone should or shouldn't. I just said there wasn't anything wrong with doing it. Just like there isn't anything wrong with a woman changing her name. I don't endorse either choice; I just don't malign either one. I still don't see how this equates to being more feminine. The dude still gets to have sex with a woman and doesn't lose testosterone. He's just changing his last name.

Also too, trolololol.

Don't doctors have an incredibly high divorce rate?

I don't believe in marriage anyway.

Pimpin' for life. :cool:

First I have to say, I :laugh::laugh::laugh: when I read the title of the thread. Haven't read OP's reasoning yet.

lol do you even know what youre talking about?

lol @ those guys getting laid... I know very few guys who would agree to such a thing and they have yet to even kiss a girl let alone get laid.
The guys getting constantly lied would slap a woman in her face if she ever dared to request a last name thing, like honestly what is this crap ???

What's in a name, dude? Especially a common one, like Smith? You're really just taking it too seriously.

Ok. You're a traditionalist. Make that work for you. I didn't say that anyone should or shouldn't. I just said there wasn't anything wrong with doing it. Just like there isn't anything wrong with a woman changing her name. I don't endorse either choice; I just don't malign either one. I still don't see how this equates to being more feminine. The dude still gets to have sex with a woman and doesn't lose testosterone. He's just changing his last name.

Also too, trolololol.

It has nothing to do with the name at all, it's about women trying to have 100% control of society. Only the most feminine men/whiteknights suck up to women and would ever agree to such nonsense.

If you think being nice/sucking up to a girl gets you laid... you're more clueless than I thought about this.

Last edited:
lol do you even know what youre talking about?

lol @ those guys getting laid... I know very few guys who would agree to such a thing and they have yet to even kiss a girl let alone get laid.
The guys getting constantly lied would slap a woman in her face if she ever dared to request a last name thing, like honestly what is this crap ???

Go back to the Zion ranch. They miss you, and there, they actually accept that women are inferior to men.

It has nothing to do with the name at all, it's about women trying to have 100% control of society. Only the most feminine men/whiteknights suck up to women and would ever agree to such nonsense.

If you think being nice/sucking up to a girl gets you laid... you're more clueless than I thought about this.

How is the woman in control? If the dude isn't happy with the arrangement, he can just ****ing leave. Besides, I wasn't talking about women controlling anything. I'm talking about guys that choose to take their wives' names. Because they want to. Not because of this white knight nonsense you're spouting.

Go back to the Zion ranch. They miss you, and there, they actually accept that women are inferior to men.

How is the woman in control? If the dude isn't happy with the arrangement, he can just ****ing leave. Besides, I wasn't talking about women controlling anything. I'm talking about guys that choose to take their wives' names. Because they want to. Not because of this white knight nonsense you're spouting.
No one's saying women are inferior to men as a human. I'm saying women are in no way superior to men in any regard and do not deserve to be treated like they are. But sadly, they sometimes are by whiteknights. you clearly have no clue what happens in the world and how it works.

I've never even heard of a man taking their wife's name.... this is literally the first time (this thread) that I have ever heard it. I can speak the same for pretty much every single guy I know.

But what I really don't understand is why you keep defending this issue... I mean the extreme lack of stupidity in a man taking their wife's last name should be enough to deter someone even mentioning something so ridiculous. I would never associate with a man who did this, let alone even want anything to do with a woman who would ever have such a request.

In such marriages, it would be logical for the man to get castrated, and for the wife to use a strap on.. permenantly. Since there is such a desire to make the wife the man of the household and make the husband the woman of the household.

:luck:

No one's saying women are inferior to men as a human. I'm saying women are in no way superior to men in any regard and do not deserve to be treated like they are. But sadly, they sometimes are by whiteknights. you clearly have no clue what happens in the world and how it works.

I've never even heard of a man taking their wife's name.... this is literally the first time (this thread) that I have ever heard it. I can speak the same for pretty much every single guy I know.

But what I really don't understand is why you keep defending this issue... I mean the extreme lack of stupidity in a man taking their wife's last name should be enough to deter someone even mentioning something so ridiculous. I would never associate with a man who did this, let alone even want anything to do with a woman who would ever have such a request.

:luck:

Dude, a woman taking her husband's last name is universally accepted. A man taking his wife's last name is derided and thought of as less manly. Yet you see absolutely no problem with this. I must conclude, then, that you think there is something inherently better about a man's last name than a woman's. But we're not even talking about specific names! Your argument just makes no sense.

Somebody post a gif or something. This thread is done for.

Dude, a woman taking her husband's last name is universally accepted. A man taking his wife's last name is derided and thought of as less manly. Yet you see absolutely no problem with this. I must conclude, then, that you think there is something inherently better about a man's last name than a woman's. But we're not even talking about specific names! Your argument just makes no sense.

Somebody post a gif or something. This thread is done for.
lol you're beyond ridiculous :laugh: plz go.