waiting for postbacc question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medanthgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay one more opinion question. Sorry to be so selfish, but if I'm ever in a position one day to give good advice on this thing i will promise to do it :)

I'm hoping to start a formal post-bacc program (RFU, Layola, Drexel, BU, etc) in Fall 2006 and in the meantime I'm working in research at UNC, retaking some of my undergraduate classes, and watching our wonderful basketball team. I get to take one class free a semester and so far I've retaken a couple of core classes, Gen Chem (went from a C to an A) and first semester physics (went from a D to an A).

The worst part of my transcript was by far calculus though, 2nd semester calc i got an F, retook it in undergrad and got a D. My goodness, i get it, I'm not good at integrals. Anyways, since this is not required for med school, should i just let it go? Or should I try one more time, just to try to repair (or spackle i suppose) my undergrad transcript?

many many thanks, anthgirl :D

Members don't see this ad.

That's really a question you should ask your premed advisor wherever you end up doing your post-bacc because it depends on the rest of your record...However, speaking as a recent graduate of a post-bacc program I can tell you that good grades in your other premed requirements and a good MCAT score can sometimes totally override bad grades. I have a 2.13 gpa from my sophomore year in undergrad which included a D and C in calc and I've gotten interviews and acceptances from several top ten medical schools.

Kateroni18 said:
That's really a question you should ask your premed advisor wherever you end up doing your post-bacc because it depends on the rest of your record...However, speaking as a recent graduate of a post-bacc program I can tell you that good grades in your other premed requirements and a good MCAT score can sometimes totally override bad grades. I have a 2.13 gpa from my sophomore year in undergrad which included a D and C in calc and I've gotten interviews and acceptances from several top ten medical schools.

woo hoo! congratulations! you must feel so good that all of your hard work has paid off!
i'm actually afraid to talk to the premed advisor here, i've just heard rumors they are kind of traditional, but i should just bite the bullet and see what they say. did you do a pre-med post bacc or an advanced bio type program?

medanthgirl said:
woo hoo! congratulations! you must feel so good that all of your hard work has paid off!
i'm actually afraid to talk to the premed advisor here, i've just heard rumors they are kind of traditional, but i should just bite the bullet and see what they say. did you do a pre-med post bacc or an advanced bio type program?

Thank you :) I did a pre-med post bacc program. I was a comp. sci. major and after realizing my interest in medicine I was only able to fit in a few pre-med requirements before graduating.

Good luck with all your medically related endeavors!