Waitlist movement c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Talked with Iowa today. Next person they offer a spot to is #74, but it sounds like the class is full/almost full on the OOS side of things because she wasn't sure if they were going to be extending anymore offers till Monday.

Members don't see this ad.

OMG congrats!!!! :D That's so exciting!!!! I hope they're still making calls :eek:
Don't lose faith! It isn't uncommon for someone not to show up to the mandatory orientation the week before classes begin. That's how I got my spot at CSU class of 2019!

Reactions: 1 user
Had my file review with LSU yesterday. 10/10 recommend if you get denied/waitlisted. Turns out waitlist a kind of a tricky place to be for them. For me, the good news is I don't have any red flags on my app, but the bad news is there's honestly little room for improvement. So even if I retook the GRE and shot it up a few percentiles, and spiffied up my personal statement, there's no guarantee I wouldn't be an alternate again next year because of how tight in compettion the IS pool is. Really the only places I was lacking the score points were GRE and my folder/interview, although those were actually pretty good in themselves. I'm glad to be going elsewhere, but I just found the admissions process interesting. It's definitely helpful for anyone who wants to reapply.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when VMCAS opens this year? its usually in june...

Called off the UW Madison list today! Most likely going to accept. Flying down there tomorrow morning

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats!! For half a second I thought you were in Canada because you said "Fly down."

I was originally #78 on Iowa State's list. Got a call today. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Reactions: 7 users
I was originally #78 on Iowa State's list. Got a call today. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

BSC!! Thats so exciting! Because it's OOS tuition I understand if you don't want to accept but I hope you consider!

BSC!! Thats so exciting! Because it's OOS tuition I understand if you don't want to accept but I hope you consider!

Yeah, it's definitely the price tag that gives me reservations, it's about 100k more than my IS :(. I really liked the Ames area, could have passed for Wisconsin. I'd really hate to go through all the challenges of vet school only to have my final career choice dictated by debt. It's going to be a hard call, especially since Wisconsin told me all I was missing was experience in my file review. I'm glad they give you two days to think it over, they've really been great throughout this whole process.

Yeah, it's definitely the price tag that gives me reservations, it's about 100k more than my IS :(. I really liked the Ames area, could have passed for Wisconsin. I'd really hate to go through all the challenges of vet school only to have my final career choice dictated by debt. It's going to be a hard call, especially since Wisconsin told me all I was missing was experience in my file review. I'm glad they give you two days to think it over, they've really been great throughout this whole process.

I understand it. LSU told me I was very close, yet, because there was nothing I could really improve on, there's nothing that says I could get in on the next try. So while in theory I could try again, I may be beating my head against the wall. I accepted my OOS seat at the last possible moment (like, literally 4:58 PM on Apr 15) and my debt will be similar to what yours would be in respect to IS comparison. I thought about it a very long time. Sorry you have to make a similar decision in only two days.

It's a tough decision for sure. My friend is a third year there and she's very happy with her decision to be accepted off their wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, #79 is going to get some good news. It was a hard decision, but I've given it a lot of thought and decided not to accept my offer at Iowa State. I know there are no guarantees for next year, but my application really had a pretty glaring hole to it and I'm on my way to fixing it.

Reactions: 6 users
Well, #79 is going to get some good news. It was a hard decision, but I've given it a lot of thought and decided not to accept my offer at Iowa State. I know there are no guarantees for next year, but my application really had a pretty glaring hole to it and I'm on my way to fixing it.

It was a tough decision for me to not accept my offer at western due to finances. I don't regret my decision but I'm hoping I didn't give up my one chance to become a vet. O_O

Sad to see that we won't be classmates, but I think you're making a wise financial decision by trying again this year. That OOS tuition... ouch.

Good luck for this cycle!

Anyone from NYU 2020 wait list, who got the magic phone call ?

Anyone heard anything from Mizzou recently? I'm on their waitlist and don't wanna start asking for letters of rec again so I'm pretending I might actually hear something from them soon...

Accepted off UW- Madison's OOS wait list. I was originally #150, so it's moved a lot.

Reactions: 2 users
Who knows? Somewhere between 200 - 300 is my guess (I realize that's a huge range).

Tried to stalk their stats page to see how many people they offer acceptances to, but they didn't say. Do they interview?

Holy crud! My year I was #45 and never got called... I wonder if it's due to the OOS tuition hikes?
I guarantee that is the reason. UW-Madison used to be THE most affordable OOS school. That is no longer the case.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, and the cost is already much more than it was two years ago.

I always figured their accepted OOS GPA was so high because so many OOS applied there, so they got the pick of the litter OOS wise. I wonder how much the price hike will influence their stats.

Well some people removed themselves from the waitlist before they even started calling. I moved 25 spots before calls even went out and I was originally 100. So I wonder how many people removed themselves from the waitlist between 100-the end of the list. Still though, its a LOT of people they've called!!

Wow, that's amazing. Congrats!!! What is their new tuition now? Isn't still one of the cheaper OOS options?

Here is the increase proposal for those interested https://chancellor.wisc.edu/blog/pr...ut-of-state-and-professional-school-students/, so even at 45k for the 2018/19 school year, it still falls towards the cheaper end of OOS options that don't let you convert to resident after the first year.

I suspect that one of the reasons that they pull from so deep in the waitlist is that they don't do interviews. I think a lot of OOS people apply because applying to Wisconsin is a relatively low time and money commitment in comparison with other schools. Then when the time comes and they get a call, I suspect that a lot of people have never actually visited the school or even Wisconsin so they don't feel comfortable making the commitment, especially if they have an acceptance elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is the increase proposal for those interested https://chancellor.wisc.edu/blog/pr...ut-of-state-and-professional-school-students/, so even at 45k for the 2018/19 school year, it still falls towards the cheaper end of OOS options that don't let you convert to resident after the first year.

I suspect that one of the reasons that they pull from so deep in the waitlist is that they don't do interviews. I think a lot of OOS people apply because applying to Wisconsin is a relatively low time and money commitment in comparison with other schools. Then when the time comes and they get a call, I suspect that a lot of people have never actually visited the school or even Wisconsin so they don't feel comfortable making the commitment, especially if they have an acceptance elsewhere.
Yep, no deposit. Still, I wish tuition was back around 25k for OOS.. OH WELL :D If it was I probably wouldn't have received a phone call :p

This is very true.

Idk if this belongs here but I just got offered a deferred acceptance at PennVet. I was #5 on the OOS WL
What does that mean? You get an automatic IN for the class of 2021?

Anyone heard anything from Mizzou recently? I'm on their waitlist and don't wanna start asking for letters of rec again so I'm pretending I might actually hear something from them soon...
hey! I randomly got an email today asking if I was still interested in remaining on the waitlist in the case a spot needed to be filled. I don't know if that really means anything. Did you receive that? In April, Kathy told me a dozen or so names are given to her to email when they are looking for someone. Idk if this is the same case.

hey! I randomly got an email today asking if I was still interested in remaining on the waitlist in the case a spot needed to be filled. I don't know if that really means anything. Did you receive that? In April, Kathy told me a dozen or so names are given to her to email when they are looking for someone. Idk if this is the same case.
No I haven't, but that sounds good for you! And also good to know the waitlist is still moving. I did hear Mizzou's system is weird and they don't have a fully linear waitlist.

I received a similar message from Wisconsin. In my response I asked about my current position and I had moved up a ton. Basically, I think it means your name is coming up to be called soon! I don't want to give you false hope, but I think it's a good sign :D

Hi all! I just got off the Cornell waitlist! Very torn at the moment over what I should do.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait for it..........

Which one is cheaper? ;)

Reactions: 4 users
I came off the waitlist at VMCVM yesterday!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you! I'm so excited but nervous at the same time. Go figure I just signed a new housing lease about a week ago...but it will all pan out!

Wisconsin is cheaper for sure. Cornell is one of the most expensive schools. It does matter to me and I've calculated how much more it would cost for me, but I'm still trying to look at the whole picture. I think wayyyyyy too much about things and I don't want to make the call and give them a decision only to regret it onwards.

What is price difference between the two schools?

Declined Cornells offer. I felt like I would be way happier at UW, and Cornell would be like 120k+ more expensive if you do the math. It was one of the toughest decisions I've had to make.

That is a huge difference. It definitely is a tough choice and I wish you luck starting school.

Reactions: 1 user
HOLY GUACAMOLE! just got into Michigan!!!
Probably going to accept and give up my spot at Iowa.

Reactions: 5 users
The cost difference between Iowa and MSU is 56000.....that's pretty big.
Trying to decide if the quality of life between the two is that important to me. As of right now I think it is.....aggghh decisions.

What do you guys think. School wise they are pretty similar but Michigan may be a little better. But Lansing just seems like a place I would want to live in waaaay more the Ames. I'm queer and there just doesn't seem to be much opportunity in Ames. Lansing has two gay bars. This may not seem like a big deal and it's not just about the bars it's about felling comfortable where I am living. What do you guys think....anyone that isn't straight have an opinion on this???

The cost difference between Iowa and MSU is 56000.....that's pretty big.
Trying to decide if the quality of life between the two is that important to me. As of right now I think it is.....aggghh decisions.

What do you guys think. School wise they are pretty similar but Michigan may be a little better. But Lansing just seems like a place I would want to live in waaaay more the Ames. I'm queer and there just doesn't seem to be much opportunity in Ames. Lansing has two gay bars. This may not seem like a big deal and it's not just about the bars it's about felling comfortable where I am living. What do you guys think....anyone that isn't straight have an opinion on this???

Well I go to Iowa State and I can help answer some of your questions. Just message me and I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

I totally get what you're saying. Which school is 56k more expensive for you, Iowa or Michigan? Ultimately, where do you think you're going to be the happiest? You're going to get a high quality education at either school. I know people on here say that you should always go with the cheapest option and that it's only 4 years of your life, and I agree to some extent, but if the location/environment is going to make a major difference in your happiness, then I would go with the school that just feels at home. Yeah, it's 4 years of your life but you want to make the most of those 4 years and your education. If you're not in a good place mentally, you won't make the most out of your education. That's my personal opinion, others may disagree.

I totally agree which is whyI think I am going to end up at Michigan. I just don't think I will be happy at Iowa. I have been worried about it for months and now that I got into Michigan State I think I will only have regrets going there. 56000 is a lot but if it is investing in making me able to be a better vet then its worth it. I think. But still 56000!!!! AHH