Waitlist policy with early start programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

florida91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm accepted to a medical school that is an early start program with orientation beginning on Tuesday, can I stay on the waitlist at another medical school for any longer at this point? Like through the end of orientation at least? Or do I need to have withdrawn from all other waitlists at the start of orientation?

Members don't see this ad.

According to the AMCAS Application and Acceptance protocol website, you must "withdraw your application from consideration at all other schools or programs as soon as you enroll, or start an orientation program prior to enrollment, at a U.S. or Canadian school or program." See: https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...0672/trafficrulesforapplicants-2015amcas.html

So, as soon you start orientation, it would appear as if you would have to withdraw from other wait lists.

According to the AMCAS Application and Acceptance protocol website, you must "withdraw your application from consideration at all other schools or programs as soon as you enroll, or start an orientation program prior to enrollment, at a U.S. or Canadian school or program." See: https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...0672/trafficrulesforapplicants-2015amcas.html

So, as soon you start orientation, it would appear as if you would have to withdraw from other wait lists.

Thanks for the link! I did see that when I was searching earlier but was wondering if it would somehow be different for early start programs. Wishful thinking I guess lol. I know I should be happy to be going somewhere at all, and I definitely am, but just can't help but wonder if I would be admitted off the waitlist for this other school if I just had more time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Longtime lurker to SDN but am actually in a very similar situation. Accepted at an early start program but wait listed at a school that would be much better for me financially/closer to home.

Is there an admissions officer who could comment/someone who maybe had a similar experience?

If you have started a "pre-matriculation program" you will be considered a student at that school.
Even if we wanted to poach you, your school would definitely consider this a violation of traffic rules.

So what about remaining on the waitlist and just knowing that if accepted we can't accept that spot? I know its probably better to just save myself the temptation but I really am curious as to what would happen, especially because of family/significant other

So what about remaining on the waitlist and just knowing that if accepted we can't accept that spot? I know its probably better to just save myself the temptation but I really am curious as to what would happen, especially because of family/significant other
It does not matter. As soon as they call your school you will be identified as a matriculant.

It does not matter. As soon as they call your school you will be identified as a matriculant.

So are you saying that the other school would be able to see I'm already accepted somewhere else and will call that school first? Sorry for all the questions, just want to go ahead and clarify this so I can just accept I can't do anymore and move on

So are you saying that the other school would be able to see I'm already accepted somewhere else and will call that school first? Sorry for all the questions, just want to go ahead and clarify this so I can just accept I can't do anymore and move on
Yes, we can see that you have been accepted elsewhere. Schools are checking the orientation start date before calling someone accepted at another school, as this would break a traffic rule.
Shortly, we will be required to call the school if we plan on making an offer.
When we are are notified that the candidate has begun a pre-matriculation program, it has the same effect as having begun orientation.

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn, do you think schools use these refresher/pre-matric programs as a way to hold onto students who might otherwise be poached? seems like a clever way to do so

@gyngyn, do you think schools use these refresher/pre-matric programs as a way to hold onto students who might otherwise be poached? seems like a clever way to do so
While I do think that an early orientation date serves to preclude poaching, pre-mat programs are a real pain to develop and administer. They are often designed for applicants at the left edge of the school's bell curve who are usually less likely to be the object of poaching.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, we can see that you have been accepted elsewhere. Schools are checking the orientation start date before calling someone accepted at another school, as this would break a traffic rule.
Shortly, we will be required to call the school if we plan on making an offer.
When we are are notified that the candidate has begun a pre-matriculation program, it has the same effect as having begun orientation.

Thank you for the clarification! I feel a lot better knowing that I've done all I can