Waitlist Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItemN9ne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that everyone has a story of a medical school student hoping off of the waitlist and onto the class roster BUT med. schools have a much larger class roster. So, my question is; Has anyone heard of a PT prospective student getting pulled off of the waitlist this late in the game. I realize that classes start with the beginning of June so should I keep my hopes up or plan to work on a MBA with my year off. Thank you and if it helps at all, I am currently on Emory's waitlist and before anyone suggests I find out my rank, Emory does not give the waitlist candidates a rank. They evaluate each candidate when/if the need should arise. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm am on a waitlist too for a program that starts in 3 weeks. My hopes are pretty low, but I did meet at least 2 current students at my interviews who were accepted off of the waitlist a week or so before the program starts, so it could happen, but I'm already starting to accept that I'm not getting in. :(

I was on the waitlist for my first choice school so I feel your pain. I did get accepted within a pretty short time but I was fairly high in the ranking. Remember for those programs that are starting in June, there may be applicants waiting to hear from a program that doesn't start until fall. If they get into the fall program, it opens a spot up for the program that starts in June. My interviewer told me they can and have offered spots as late as two days before the program begins. Hang in there and best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not over until it's over. I am also on a waitlist to my #1 school and they told me the same thing...there's no ranking, but rather they will evaluated the alternates if need be. I have heard of numerous stories of students being admitted the day before class began. I think that would suck, but if my #1 school told me I was good to go the weekend before class, I would pack my bags in a heartbeat. Let us know if you get in!

I was just offered a spot yesterday in the school that start in June too. So keep hope up. (I was preparing for MBA program too before i heard)

Thank you all for the insight... I guess I'll go ahead and keep my fingers crossed! :xf: Good luck to everyone else as well!

I realize that everyone has a story of a medical school student hoping off of the waitlist and onto the class roster BUT med. schools have a much larger class roster. So, my question is; Has anyone heard of a PT prospective student getting pulled off of the waitlist this late in the game. I realize that classes start with the beginning of June so should I keep my hopes up or plan to work on a MBA with my year off. Thank you and if it helps at all, I am currently on Emory's waitlist and before anyone suggests I find out my rank, Emory does not give the waitlist candidates a rank. They evaluate each candidate when/if the need should arise. :confused:

I have heard a story of a ECU PT students getting called the day before classes start, and dropping everything in their lives to go. We actually had 2 students that accepted and never showed up on the first day of orientation. Kinda sucks for those on the wait list for because they could have at least called....

Well, as of NOW, I'm planning to proceed with my MBA plan because I was going to participate in the dual degree program anyway. BUT I'd drop everything in a heartbeat if called upon... haha, so this at the very least gives me a little hope. Thanks again for all your help guys/gals... :xf:

2 of my friends got pulled off wait lists this week.

AND to the same school, none the less.

They start in June as well.

Don't worry-- it does happen!

Well that at least re-lights the end of the tunnel... I will keep anyone updated on this process for future reference. Thanks again for everyone's help. :xf:

I'm sorry to hear that, if the worse case scenario occurs would you mind letting me know if and when they tell you what is going on. It would be a rather bitter ending if they just left you hanging without any word. Thanks and good luck. I'll cross my other fingers for you. :xf: :xf:

I'm not sure which schools you are all waitlisted on, but I just opened up a spot at a school and hope it goes to one of you. Wait patiently, now is a time when a lot of people will rescind their acceptances to some schools if they put their money down at two. So keep the hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again for keeping the hope alive. I have a question for anyone still following, do a lot of applicants pay to save their seats at multiple schools? I've read and personally been recommended to do so in other forums. If this is the case, at what point do you make your decision if the program starts in mid/late June? Thanks again everyone :xf:

Well, based on a Facebook page that is for incoming students at the school I am waitlisted on, someone just got in off the wait list. Obviously I am not the first alternate, but the shakedown must be starting. Fingers are crossed!

There is still hope haha, good luck :xf: I think it's funny that I still feel my adrenaline surging every time I check my e-mail lol, even if it's like 2am and I've already checked it all day... Oh well! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for everyone. Thanks for all your suggestions/insights. :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Oh my gosh! I sooo feel everyone's pain... I'm in a similar boat... However, the school I am on the waiting list for doesn't begin until August. I don't know the likelihood of getting off the list in comparison to their VERY VERY small class size. I'm definitely still antsy on a daily basis, every time I get an email my heart drops... Good luck to you all and keep me (us) updated! :eek:

There is still hope haha, good luck :xf: I think it's funny that I still feel my adrenaline surging every time I check my e-mail lol, even if it's like 2am and I've already checked it all day... Oh well! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for everyone. Thanks for all your suggestions/insights. :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Well, classes start on Monday and I haven't heard a word. I have officially given up. :(

That seems very unprofessional in my opinion to leave a potential student dangling like that. I am sorry that you were not pulled from the waitlist. Please let me know if/when they let you know anything. I am still unsure what the "waitlist" status means for the following application year. Thanks and again I'm sorry for your misfortune BUT I hope you enjoy your year off... I'm beginning to think I'm going to be right there with ya in a few weeks. :xf:

That seems very unprofessional in my opinion to leave a potential student dangling like that. I am sorry that you were not pulled from the waitlist. Please let me know if/when they let you know anything. I am still unsure what the "waitlist" status means for the following application year. Thanks and again I'm sorry for your misfortune BUT I hope you enjoy your year off... I'm beginning to think I'm going to be right there with ya in a few weeks. :xf:

This process has been ridiculous. Every time I asked for any sort of info, they would not give it to me. They would not let me know how many alternates there were, where I was ranked or anything. Just "if anything opens up, we'll let you know". Very frustrating.

Due to many circumstances, this was the only school I was able to apply to, so this was my only shot. I just turned 33 so waiting another year really depresses me, but oh well. It is what it is.

From my experience, I've been told if you do not "earn" a slot off of the the waiting list you will NOT be notified. I don't know if your school is any different, but perhaps that's why you haven't heard anything. I think the least they could have done was given you your rank though. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but DO NOT give up on this if this is something you truly aspire to do!

This process has been ridiculous. Every time I asked for any sort of info, they would not give it to me. They would not let me know how many alternates there were, where I was ranked or anything. Just "if anything opens up, we'll let you know". Very frustrating.

Due to many circumstances, this was the only school I was able to apply to, so this was my only shot. I just turned 33 so waiting another year really depresses me, but oh well. It is what it is.

From my experience, I've been told if you do not "earn" a slot off of the the waiting list you will NOT be notified. I don't know if your school is any different, but perhaps that's why you haven't heard anything. I think the least they could have done was given you your rank though. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but DO NOT give up on this if this is something you truly aspire to do!

Oh, I'm only giving up HOPE that I'm getting in this year, not giving up on trying to become a PT.

So, I take it from previous posts and what has been said here that if you do not "earn" a spot in the class off the waitlist then you have to reapply the next year. The waitlist is not a guarantee/opportunity for the next year's class correct? Thx again for everyone's help and wishes... I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed. :xf:

I was pulled from a waitlist about 3 months after being placed on it. They didn't rank either and I basically just had to wait. I talked to the admin a couple times while she was finalizing the list and she said to send her an e-mail letting her know I was definitely still interested and had visited the school so that my name would stay in her head. Guess it worked, about a week after that I got a call. Good luck!

I was pulled from a waitlist about 3 months after being placed on it. They didn't rank either and I basically just had to wait. I talked to the admin a couple times while she was finalizing the list and she said to send her an e-mail letting her know I was definitely still interested and had visited the school so that my name would stay in her head. Guess it worked, about a week after that I got a call. Good luck!

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea whether it was ranked or not ranked. They wouldn't divulge ANYTHING to me. I kept in contact with them for sure, so they should remember me. I made one last ditch effort tonight and if that doesn't work, then I'm toast. :(

I just have a hard time believing that these professional programs leave so many possible candidates just hanging by a string never letting them know anything. I just e-mailed my program to keep in touch and see if I could squeak out any information but I'm not very optimistic. I just wish they would let me know a time period in which selections would take place rather than saying if you are not e-mailed about anything when classes start take a hint. :confused: I'd also like to know if being on the alternate list comes with any benefits as far as next years' admissions goes. Who knows, I'm sure they're is a reason for everything, I originally didn't think I would get an interview so I did far better than I thought. If not "chosen," then I will ENJOY every second of my year off and kick next year's admissions butt. Thx for everyone's insight and help. Still gonna keep 'em crossed...:xf:

It is definately frustrating. If it's any help, my friend said that they had twins accepted to their program and they both dropped out during the first week. They pulled two students off the waitlist and they started the second week of class.

Well, it's official. Just got the email stating that all seats are filled. At least they contacted me about it.....

:(

I'm sorry you did not get the result you were seeking but at least they contacted you about it. I'm sure you will walk right in with next year's class. If you don't mind me asking, did they let you know what you are to do as far as next year goes... as far as do you need to completely re-apply or ??? Thx, and good luck next cycle! My chances are fading fast so I'm sure I will be right there with you... Just in case:xf:

I'm sorry you did not get the result you were seeking but at least they contacted you about it. I'm sure you will walk right in with next year's class. If you don't mind me asking, did they let you know what you are to do as far as next year goes... as far as do you need to completely re-apply or ??? Thx, and good luck next cycle! My chances are fading fast so I'm sure I will be right there with you... Just in case:xf:

Yes, if I want to try again next year, I have to do the whole PTCAS thing again, which blows chunks. The email said to call for an appointment with them so we could discuss this years application and what I can improve for next year.

Well, that sounds promising at least. I would definitely plan a meeting with them and follow what they said to the "T" if that is your primary school and if not whatever they tell you will most likely improve your application across the board. I'm am quite sure whatever they tell you to improve upon will not be anything drastic as you've already been interviewed by them which means they are interested in you. I'm sure it's something simple like gain more experience in the field or something along those lines...Again, I am sorry you did not get in, but great things come to those who actually have to work for it... You'll appreciate it WAY more! Don't give up my friend! I already know how my meeting is going to go if I have one, "Mr. ****" why did you wait until the very last minute to send in your application, don't you know what 'rolling applications' means?" haha... It'll be alright, it's just life...

Just in case.... :xf:

Just wanted to keep you all updated like I said I would. I am privileged to say that I am no longer on the waiting list and I have secured my slot in a DPT program in my area! woohooo.. To all of those still waiting or who did not get positive results this year... KEEP GOING!! :thumbup: