Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@gyngyn First off, thank you do much for your advice and infinite patience on this thread! I was wondering if you have heard any news with Cornell?
Not recently.
You're welcome. I do take my faculty advisor job pretty seriously.:happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
Wow, I had fully given up hope of being accepted this year, but I just got an acceptance call this morning!! So excited!!! And for everyone still waiting, this means the waitlists are still moving. This is the first waitlist movement I've heard of at all from this school. There's still hope!!!

Reactions: 15 users
Wow, I had fully given up hope of being accepted this year, but I just got an acceptance call this morning!! So excited!!! And for everyone still waiting, this means the waitlists are still moving. This is the first waitlist movement I've heard of at all from this school. There's still hope!!!

congratulations!!! which school if you dont mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is fantastic congrats! And we were just talking about reapps, I'm stoked for you!

Reactions: 1 user
This gives me some hope!

I'm so depressed lately cause I may need to leave CA and end my 3 year long relationship with my SO. :'(

That is so me right now too. :-/
Well that's IF I happen to get in. I guess I could look at it as a win-win. If I don't get in, I'll be able to make it work. If I do, I'll move away and it'll be over. Sucky situation to be in for sure.

Joining this thread because I'm glad to hear people are still getting accepted off WL's! I'm still waiting on my top choice (CA school, IS) but I'm meeting a local potential roommate at my east coast school tmrw for coffee... What have most of you guys done in terms of housing??

Joining this thread because I'm glad to hear people are still getting accepted off WL's! I'm still waiting on my top choice (CA school, IS) but I'm meeting a local potential roommate at my east coast school tmrw for coffee... What have most of you guys done in terms of housing??
Freak out?
Edit: That's the extent of my personal housing quest. It has more details but boils down to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:

On the waitlist for my IS school, I have my housing set for the OOS one but only have until the 18th to confirm. It's a race to move up those last few spots on the WL.

This thread has been so therapeutic for me to lurk, I've been on 4 waitlists and haven't heard back from anywhere. Just to see that there are others that are not only going through it but people are getting in too (awesome!) makes the situation feel more relatable and that my situation is not unique to the point I need to get down about it. I had an interview late this cycle around March and it seemed a lot of us interviewing were waiting to hear back from the same schools regarding interviews around the same time. I think there are a lot of qualified people and this thread is a great reminder of that so thanks everyone

hopefully i can power through and submit my amcas in the next couple hours or by sometime tomorrow

Reactions: 6 users
Somehow... I'm still crossing my fingers. I have 1 WL left... hope it does good to me this next week.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Throwaway account. Sorry but I needed to vent for a second and thought that this would be the place to do it. I am on the waitlist for medical school, like most everyone else here, and found out that an individual got in today with a 24 MCAT. A twenty. four. Not only did this individual get a 24, but that was the second time taking it. The first time they received a 25. Their extracurriculars, grades, etc. are average and they are not a minority. I know this because they went to my college and us premeds know a lot about everyone else. It just so happens that this person has an older sibling that just graduated from the same medical school, is on the student portion of the medical admission board and got into an extremely competitive residency. I know that admissions is not fair whatsoever, but this just seems so wrong to me and I am livid.

Edit: it's to the same med school I am waitlisted at.

that sucks, im very sorry to hear that. I get upset when people with low mcats get accepted because the mcat is such a miserable exam yet it honestly is a strong indicator of intellectual ability and critical thinking skills. a 24 is ass. I could get a 24 drunk.

@gyngyn, anything @ UConn?

Also, do admissions committees ever consider accepting a student off the wait list under the condition that they will defer a year?

Also, do admissions committees ever consider accepting a student off the wait list under the condition that they will defer a year?
I'm waitlisted there as well, spoke to admissions this week who said further movement is unlikely. :(

Had a dream that BU sent out mass rejections on the waitlist. :(

Slowly losing out hope ....................

Had a dream that BU sent out mass rejections on the waitlist. :(

Slowly losing out hope ....................
I keep dreaming schools that rejected me ages ago call and say they made a mistake... lol. What a year.

that sucks, im very sorry to hear that. I get upset when people with low mcats get accepted because the mcat is such a miserable exam yet it honestly is a strong indicator of intellectual ability and critical thinking skills. a 24 is ass. I could get a 24 drunk.

Or they could use an actual IQ test if they wanted to show intellectual ability and critical thinking skills.

Anything over a 25 (MCAT) is indicative of being able to perform well in medical school.

Last edited:

I haven't seen anything, but my overlap with UConn is probably slight.

It seems intriguing, but I haven't heard of schools doing this to any great degree. I'm not sure how one could prevent them from just re-applying, thus losing any reason for the schools to do it, though.

I haven't seen anything, but my overlap with UConn is probably slight.

It seems intriguing, but I haven't heard of schools doing this to any great degree. I'm not sure how one could prevent them from just re-applying, thus losing any reason for the schools to do it, though.
I know Tufts told some people this year that if they don't come off the WL that they can have a deferred acceptance. I'd love that at either of my WLs right now.

I know Tufts told some people this year that if they don't come off the WL that they can have a deferred acceptance. I'd love that at either of my WLs right now.

Would it be bad to ask my top choice if I can do this? I have already committed to something for the upcoming year that I'd really like to do. I get the feeling it really can't hurt if I explain my situation.

I wish schools did this, I would take it in a heartbeat. Getting into my top choice would totally be worth waiting an extra year. Plus it would give me a chance to finish up my research project and snag an extra publication or two. If wishing made it so... :rolleyes:

@gyngyn - Have you reached your waitlist yet, or are you still over-enrolled? And if over-enrolled, how deep into the WL do you think you'll go if at all?

@gyngyn - Have you reached your waitlist yet, or are you still over-enrolled? And if over-enrolled, how deep into the WL do you think you'll go if at all?
The algorithm worked out perfectly for us (and apparently for about all of the CA schools this year). Since all of us are barely dipping into the waitlist, the usual shuffle between the schools just hasn't materialized.

someone hold me! idk if i should submit my amcas or not... i was rejected at one of my two WL schools... and have no idea if there is anymore movement at the other one

The algorithm worked out perfectly for us (and apparently for about all of the CA schools this year). Since all of us are barely dipping into the waitlist, the usual shuffle between the schools just hasn't materialized.
Hi gyngyn, do you anticipate more movements in the CA waitlists soon or do you think it will stay stagnant at this point? Also, have you seen much movement at ucsf lately?

Hi gyngyn, do you anticipate more movements in the CA waitlists soon or do you think it will stay stagnant at this point? Also, have you seen much movement at ucsf lately?
I think it's just going to be little dribbles from here on. There was a tiny bit of movement at UCSF last week.

someone hold me! idk if i should submit my amcas or not... i was rejected at one of my two WL schools... and have no idea if there is anymore movement at the other one
Dude, my advice, submit the $160 for one school. You can either add more schools later, or consider it the price of security. AMCAS is already ten days behind, (they're verifying ready to review apps from 6/4), so if you wait, you'll be late-ish for this cycle. I am waiting with as much hope as possible to hear back from my waitlists, emailing updates and LOIs, but if I need to, I'm in line for the new cycle.

Don't think of it as giving up; you're just planning wisely. I'll use an example: I was shadowing once and a patient had cancelled his DNR because he was worried that it might imply that he didn't want to fight/keep going. The doctor walks in and she talks about the plan to move forward, their goals for fighting his disease and when she wanted him to schedule a follow-up when he was discharged. Then she says, look, the DNR isn't going to change how we care for you. It is just a plan for the worst case scenario. It is supposed to let us know what you want in a situation where you might not be able to tell us. Don't think of it as giving up, just think of it as covering your bases. Even the ones you don't want to think about.

I'm paraphrasing, but the end result was the guy reinstating his DNR, just in case. Yes, submitting the 2015 AMCAS isn't signing a DNR (although it might feel like it lol), but it allows you to cover your bases, just in case.

Reactions: 5 users
Dude, my advice, submit the $160 for one school. You can either add more schools later, or consider it the price of security. AMCAS is already ten days behind, (they're verifying ready to review apps from 6/4), so if you wait, you'll be late-ish for this cycle. I am waiting with as much hope as possible to hear back from my waitlists, emailing updates and LOIs, but if I need to, I'm in line for the new cycle.

Don't think of it as giving up; you're just planning wisely. I'll use an example: I was shadowing once and a patient had cancelled his DNR because he was worried that it might imply that he didn't want to fight/keep going. The doctor walks in and she talks about the plan to move forward, their goals for fighting his disease and when she wanted him to schedule a follow-up when he was discharged. Then she says, look, the DNR isn't going to change how we care for you. It is just a plan for the worst case scenario. It is supposed to let us know what you want in a situation where you might not be able to tell us. Don't think of it as giving up, just think of it as covering your bases. Even the ones you don't want to think about.

I'm paraphrasing, but the end result was the guy reinstating his DNR, just in case. Yes, submitting the 2015 AMCAS isn't signing a DNR (although it might feel like it lol), but it allows you to cover your bases, just in case.

thanks for the great advice!! im finalizing my amcas and submitting soon next week. What about D.O should I do that too or wait?

Reminded me of this:
hqdefault.jpg

Reminded me of this:
hqdefault.jpg

Lol, well to lighten the mood... Here's this:

Please Mister Postman, look and see
(Oh yeah)
If there's a letter in your bag for me
(Please, Please Mister Postman)
Why's it takin' such a long time
(Oh yeah)
For me to hear from that Med School of mine

There must be some word today
From that med school, not so far away
Please Mister Postman, look and see
If there's a letter, a letter for me...

:)

thanks for the great advice!! im finalizing my amcas and submitting soon next week. What about D.O should I do that too or wait?
I can't speak on DO schools, because I haven't done enough research. Some people say they have a faster verification because compared to AMCAS, there might be less people applying through their system. This isn't verified and I'd do more research on this. In terms of planning, assume the worst case scenario and be ecstatic when you get that email tomorrow. :)

NYU is still moving! Upitt, JHU saw some movement late last week. It's not much, but at least it's good for us below them.

Reactions: 4 users
First acceptance today - 8 hours later and I'm still ready for the "psych" email. I know it's tough to believe it when others say it, but guys, please keep the faith. I'm rooting for all of you!

This thread helped me keep the crazy at bay. Thank you to each and every one of you who posted, and thank you @gyngyn for your guidance, info, and support.

Reactions: 29 users
Just got accepted to one of my top choices!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited: Things are still happening!

Reactions: 22 users
First acceptance today!

To all those still waiting, I know how it feels. I know the heartache, the sleepless nights, and the punch-in-the-stomach feeling you get when people ask about your future. I know the nauseating sensation you're feeling just by reading this post. I beg you not to give up hope. I know that it is easier said than done. I know that phrase probably doesn't mean much to you on your end, but let me tell you, hope is what makes you strong. Hope is what makes you fearless in the face of the things you think you fear. So, even in this emotional situation the likes of which you may have never encountered, gather hope from the things that make you hopeful. For me, it was looking at the hardships I faced in the past and how they ended and how relieved I was. I also tried to be more conscious of other people's problems, which may be extremely difficult with your own problem in the way. However, others' problems and how they handle them can really put yours into context. As much as an acceptance to medical school means to you, as much as you think the rest of your life may depend on one phone call or email, the world will not end. You are an EXCELLENT applicant and will live to fight another day.

Country music is widely abhorred where I am from, but this song nailed my feelings:

Regardless, I understand that I am in NO position to be offering this advice, but I figured it might help since these are the things that I wanted to hear. Or maybe not...and this is just overly motivational buzzkill.

To all those who contributed advice and encouragement to this thread, thank you. The therapeutic nature of this thread is magical. Good luck to all of you in every facet of life! I have no doubt that all of you will be successful physicians and, more importantly, winners at life.

Reactions: 18 users
First acceptance today!

To all those still waiting, I know how it feels. I know the heartache, the sleepless nights, and the punch-in-the-stomach feeling you get when people ask about your future. I know the nauseating sensation you're feeling just by reading this post. I beg you not to give up hope. I know that it is easier said than done. I know that phrase probably doesn't mean much to you on your end, but let me tell you, hope is what makes you strong. Hope is what makes you fearless in the face of the things you think you fear. So, even in this emotional situation the likes of which you may have never encountered, gather hope from the things that make you hopeful. For me, it was looking at the hardships I faced in the past and how they ended and how relieved I was. I also tried to be more conscious of other people's problems, which may be extremely difficult with your own problem in the way. However, others' problems and how they handle them can really put yours into context. As much as an acceptance to medical school means to you, as much as you think the rest of your life may depend on one phone call or email, the world will not end. You are an EXCELLENT applicant and will live to fight another day.

I know the heart is in the right place for these posts, but unfortunately it isn't much of a consolation to see someone else win the lottery. And a lottery is exactly what the waitlist is. However much we are happy that someone like us has now ended their misery!

The reality is that more than a majority of us will need to apply again. Which we all are doing. I think the best medicine is to forget about the waitlist and look ahead to next year. That is where the real resilience is. If you are fortunate enough to win the lottery, then kudos. Take those winnings and run into the sunset. But the waitlist remains for those less fortunate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I know the heart is in the right place for these posts, but unfortunately it isn't much of a consolation to see someone else win the lottery. And a lottery is exactly what the waitlist is. However much we are happy that someone like us has now ended their misery! :)

This, ten thousand times this.

for those of you reapplying, how much are you changing your personal statement? aside from more volunteering and a few extracurricular activities, my motivation to become a doctor has stayed the same.

Reactions: 1 users
for those of you reapplying, how much are you changing your personal statement? aside from more volunteering and a few extracurricular activities, my motivation to become a doctor has stayed the same.
You mean that over the past year you haven't wanted to become a doctor EVEN MORE?? That's not good!

j/k :rolleyes:
I rewrote my PS, but only because it was kinda weak in retrospect.

You mean that over the past year you haven't wanted to become a doctor EVEN MORE?? That's not good!

j/k :rolleyes:
I rewrote my PS, but only because it was kinda weak in retrospect.

haha, well I don't know how much it was my PS vs not applying until last week of November (late committee letter) and/or being Canadian, so I wasn't sure how helpful a new PS would be.