Waitlisted... Does doing this come off as desperate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cr007cr007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm waitlisted at my IS school and hold no other acceptances. I was thinking of stopping by their admissions office and giving them a letter of intent and extra LOR (which I already sent them via e-mail) to show them how badly I want to matriculate.

Would doing this make me look desperate? Or will it help me, even just a little bit?

Members don't see this ad.

The general consensus here on SDN is that LOI's have absolutely no merit whatsoever. I would say it wouldn't hurt to try, but definitely don't go in with any expectations.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm waitlisted at my IS school and hold no other acceptances. I was thinking of stopping by their admissions office and giving them a letter of intent and extra LOR (which I already sent them via e-mail) to show them how badly I want to matriculate.

Would doing this make me look desperate? Or will it help me, even just a little bit?

Would probably not help at all. I feel bad for you I'm in same position :(
Better put focus into planning your future.
Forget about this cycle totally. There is nothing we can do at this point.

They know you are desperate already if you have no acceptances. We all are. I would stand on my head for a week in their office if I thought it would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent an LOI, an extra LOR, and an update letter to a private school that waitlisted me albeit I did so via email (I also sent my LOI via postal mail.) Not sure if I looked desperate or not but I'm still on the waitlist.

Just stopped by to show my support. I'm in the same boat. I concur with what others have said ^^

The thing stopping me from going is that I don't want them to think, "This person is giving us copies of the exact same docs she already emailed us, what a dummy". Should I write another letter of intent and give them that?

The thing stopping me from going is that I don't want them to think, "This person is giving us copies of the exact same docs she already emailed us, what a dummy". Should I write another letter of intent and give them that?

Hmmm... Don't want to be insulting but wondering if you are serious or not...

Sorry - I don't think you should write two LOI's it's too much

You really think the Admissions Dean is going to jump out of his/her chair and scream out to the secretary: "Give this kid an accept!"

??????

As the wise gyngyn would point out, this is close to stalking.

How else would you interpret a non-binding contract from an extremely desperate applicant??

Do not do this.
Waitlists can bring out the worst in applicants (not you, of course).
Unscheduled visits from the disgruntled (and their parents!) have sensitized the staff.
Campus Security has been necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all for the advice. It looks like I won't do this after all. I just don't know what else I can do and am thinking of any option.

Guess I'll just wait.

Someday, I do hope to meet my learned colleague, because I have GOT to hear some of these stories!!!!!

Do not do this.
Waitlists can bring out the worst in applicants (not you, of course).
Unscheduled visits from the disgruntled (and their parents!) has sensitized the staff.
Campus Security has been necessary.

Reactions: 1 user