#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted off the waitlist of my state school! I'm going to be a doctor. :eek:
congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't tell you how happy that makes me. You've been with us since the beginning. You're amazing.

Aww I really didn't expect this much love from all of you.

Just yesterday I was feeling hopeless and dreading the prospect of applying again next year or possibly taking another gap year. I hated how everyone was so optimistic while there was a real possibility that I would not get off of any wait list.

To those still waiting, I have faith that you will reach your dreams; if not this year, then next year. You're all smart, capable and motivated. There is still all of May left for waitlist movement and even if it wasn't meant to be this year, we will all reach the same place eventually.

Reactions: 11 users
me to med schools
so+you're+telling+me+there's+a+chance.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
You gotta pick your head up, feeling sad/down isn't going to help you get off the waitlist! You worked hard for 4 years to get through school, and you have to remember that it's a huge accomplishment to get a degree. Not everyone has the chance to get a degree. At least enjoy your graduation, by recognizing all of the sacrifices you made and all of the people that have helped you along the way. They sure are proud of you, regardless of this cycles outcome. All you can do about waitlists now is wait and hope something works out. If it doesn't, fuel your frustration to kill it next cycle.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i think this process is making me delusional. i actually had a thought that the adcoms are waiting until my birthday next week to accept me.. well here's to probably the worst birthday i'm going to ever have.. and graduation coming up.. yay

Reactions: 8 users
i think this process is making me delusional. i actually had a thought that the adcoms are waiting until my birthday next week to accept me.. well here's to probably the worst birthday i'm going to ever have.. and graduation coming up.. yay
This was me like 3 months ago.

If I were on an admissions committee, that's exactly the sort of the thing I would do. I love grandiose birthday surprises.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, it's Friday and I haven't heard anything. I don't know if that means that there won't be any waitlist movement or if they haven't started yet. Medical schools, if you give me an acceptance before I have to face the awesome wrath of my extended family next week, I will give you my first born child. No questions asked.

If I were on an admissions committee, that's exactly the sort of the thing I would do. I love grandiose birthday surprises.
I would probably die of happiness if that happened.. Best birthday present ever

Well, it's Friday and I haven't heard anything. I don't know if that means that there won't be any waitlist movement or if they haven't started yet. Medical schools, if you give me an acceptance before I have to face the awesome wrath of my extended family next week, I will give you my first born child. No questions asked.
Maybe your school just hasn't started moving yet :) mine, on the other hand, has definitely been moving, just not to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I would probably die of happiness if that happened.. Best birthday present ever
I once emerged from a giant stack of dolls at "American Girl Doll" for my sister's birthday after not seeing her for several months. That was fun. I also once returned from college just to hide in the trunk of my family's car and scare the bejesus out of them with a mask on Halloween. Come to think of it I do that sort of thing all the time. Yeah I'd have fun on an admissions committee.

Reactions: 5 users

My school has accepted like 3 people via SDN after multiple accept while ~20 on SDN were accepted the day of multiple accept last year. Really don't know if I should feel optimistic or not :unsure:. Family reunion in T-2 weeks and my dad has been calling every single day and the first thing he asks is 'any updates?'. Not looking forward to it either.

My school has accepted like 3 people via SDN after multiple accept while ~20 on SDN were accepted the day of multiple accept last year. Really don't know if I should feel optimistic or not :unsure:. Family reunion in T-2 weeks and my dad has been calling every single day and the first thing he asks is 'any updates?'. Not looking forward to it either.
One of my schools have accepted people but I knew that was a huge long shot to begin with so it's okay. UIC still hasn't gotten back to me so I'm thinking it's likely a de facto waitlist at this point, seeing as it's the largest MD program in the country hopefully they can squeeze me in. But it will be a few weeks before I hear anything there. I have some hope for Rosalind Franklin and sleep with the folder they gave me on interview day under my pillow. Western Michigan is totally silent.

My favorite high school teacher just emailed me to ask about how the medical school process is going so if anybody wants to just go ahead and kill me I wouldn't stop you.

I once emerged from a giant stack of dolls at "American Girl Doll" for my sister's birthday after not seeing her for several months. That was fun. I also once returned from college just to hide in the trunk of my family's car and scare the bejesus out of them with a mask on Halloween. Come to think of it I do that sort of thing all the time. Yeah I'd have fun on an admissions committee.
that's awesome. you would be the best adcom ever

My favorite high school teacher just emailed me to ask about how the medical school process is going so if anybody wants to just go ahead and kill me I wouldn't stop you.

I'm pretty sure getting texted or called every single day asking about if anything has changed has been more stressful to me than being on a barely moving waitlist itself. And it happens way more often than not :arghh:

I'm pretty sure getting texted or called every single day asking about if anything has changed has been more stressful to me than being on a barely moving waitlist itself. And it happens way more often than not :arghh:
I relate. I really do appreciate that I have people in my life that care, but at the same time I don't understand what they don't get about "when I hear anything, I will tell you right away".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
Just got a call with the same zip code as the school I'm wait listed at (same city as me). I've never wanted to hang up on my apartment agency so badly.
One of my schools have accepted people but I knew that was a huge long shot to begin with so it's okay. UIC still hasn't gotten back to me so I'm thinking it's likely a de facto waitlist at this point, seeing as it's the largest MD program in the country hopefully they can squeeze me in. But it will be a few weeks before I hear anything there. I have some hope for Rosalind Franklin and sleep with the folder they gave me on interview day under my pillow. Western Michigan is totally silent.

Do you think the first school you mentioned is done already??

Just got a call with the same zip code as the school I'm wait listed at (same city as me). I've never wanted to hang up on my apartment agency so badly.

Do you think the first school you mentioned is done already??

I choose to believe the fact that their Facebook group is only 58% full (not that I would know) is a hopeful sign.

I choose to believe the fact that their Facebook group is only 58% full (not that I would know) is a hopeful sign.
True. There are a lot of factors, one of which involves me thinking that a good chunk of accepted students don't know about the page until their orientation, but I like your take better

I really hate how med schools keep emailing me about post bacs. its like they are saying "we know you failed and we don't want you either but we still want your money for our ms/mph/postbac/certificate program"

Reactions: 11 users
True. There are a lot of factors, one of which involves me thinking that a good chunk of accepted students don't know about the page until their orientation, but I like your take better

Hmm...why is that? I mean, obviously I'm not trying to use a facebook page as a measure of reliable data by any stretch of the imagination. Although I imagine that

A) Pretty much every med school has one
B) Pretty much every student has a facebook account
and
C) It behooves the student to join the facebook group to meet classmates, arrange roommates, etc.

so I find it a hair strange that their group is so sparsely populated.

One school that I'm waiting on, which may or may not rhyme with Nosalind Manklin, straight up puts the link to their facebook group in the acceptance email so I'd be lying if I said that I didn't check it at least three times per day.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm...why is that? I mean, obviously I'm not trying to use a facebook page as a measure of reliable data by any stretch of the imagination. Although I imagine that

and
C) It behooves the student to join the facebook group to meet classmates, arrange roommates, etc.

One school that I'm waiting on, which may or may not rhyme with Nosalind Manklin, straight up puts the link to their facebook group in the acceptance email so I'd be lying if I said that I didn't check it at least three times per day.
One of my schools facebook has 110 members of which about 40ish are current students. No one on the thread is asking questions very quiet. No talk of award letters, housing, nothing.

Lol this is me with Mother's Day. Maybe, just MAYBE, this will be the best Mother's Day ever....

Or Maybe I'll just hope the same thing for my birthday next month. *sigh*

One of my schools facebook has 110 members of which about 40ish are current students. No one on the thread is asking questions very quiet. No talk of award letters, housing, nothing.
I can't see what anyone's talking about because I'm not a member, I can just see the number of people in it. It's eventually going to devolve to the point where I have a serial killer-esque bulletin board with a bunch of photos of people connected with pieces of red yarn.

I can't see what anyone's talking about because I'm not a member, I can just see the number of people in it. It's eventually going to devolve to the point where I have a serial killer-esque bulletin board with a bunch of photos of people connected with pieces of red yarn.
No I mean on the school thread..no one is talking at all. Most of the other threads people talking about committing and housing ect. Just nothing.

No I mean on the school thread..no one is talking at all. Most of the other threads people talking about committing and housing ect. Just nothing.
absolutely no one posts on the school thread at the school i'm WL at.. it's really annoying.. 2 people said they got off the WL and that was the most activity the thread has had in months

If you're WL'ed at UCSD, they sent out an e-mail today.

TL;DR, there's another update mid-May. At the end of May, they plan to admit students off the WL. You can send LOI, but it's not necessary.

For those of you who have a lot of free time on your hands (not in school, etc) how are you passing the time? I can only work out so much

For those of you who have a lot of free time on your hands (not in school, etc) how are you passing the time? I can only work out so much

Whiskey and pizza for me :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh and staring at my phone for a total of 6 hrs a day in case I miss the email

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Rewriting my PS, applying to post-bacs, sending letters of interest directly to the deans/admissions directors at my waitlisted schools, and prepping for the launch of my pop-up shop at the end of this month. Fuuuun times.

and

idk how one would find good housing deals/roomates without the fb page

I really hate how med schools keep emailing me about post bacs. its like they are saying "we know you failed and we don't want you either but we still want your money for our ms/mph/postbac/certificate program"
I keep getting these and I'm already in a post bacc... I even got one from the med school attached to my program

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So...Since the mad rush of "Traffic Day" has come and gone...are those of us on the WL nearly dead in the water barring a miracle?

I feel like my application is an old wounded dog...someone just put it out of its misery already and let me go on.

So...Since the mad rush of "Traffic Day" has come and gone...are those of us on the WL nearly dead in the water barring a miracle?

I feel like my application is an old wounded dog...someone just put it out of its misery already and let me go on.
If there wasn't movement at your school this week, save your panic for next week.

If there was movement at your school this week. . . I don't know.