#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol I still can't stop laughing. Oh the look on his face when our eyes met hahahahaha

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I caNOT believe THIS is the day I didn't get a chance to check sdn!! CONGRATS @bananafish94 and @theepiphany88!!! This is amazing!! I'm so happy for you!! You did it!! You've given me hope that it can still happen :biglove::soexcited::banana:

Reactions: 4 users
I think I'm going to be taking over @bananafish94 's sadness, depression, anger, etc now because I have no idea what is going to happen with me and Howard.

So. Freaking. Sad.

I am trying to be positive guys. I really am. Your private messages have been amazing, your support here has been amazing, your texts have been amazing. I just really want to be accepted already but the chances of that happening seems so slim. If there is a word that is sadder than sad, that's how I feel. Empty. Sad. Just so so sad.

+1 on that. I think "utter despair" is the best phrase I can use to describe it. Or a favorite I use when people ask me about waitlists and med school: "every day is complete agony."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Regardless of what is going on at Howard, I hope they reserve a seat just for you! Hopefully, we will be celebrating your acceptance next!
I really hope Howard works out just for you! I'm rooting for you chocolate.

Reactions: 1 users
:soexcited: GRATS @bananafish94 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You make me believe in happy endings! I'm so proud of you OMG even though I don't know you. :highfive:

:banana:#teambananafish94 :clap:

Also grats to @theepiphany88 !! I think you'll be very happy at FAU!

Yes! Thank you! It's SO MUCH BETTER (in my case) to stay home! I HATE moving! I'm glad I can stay right where I have the most support. I'll definitely be needing it.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 on that. I think "utter despair" is the best phrase I can use to describe it. Or a favorite I use when people ask me about waitlists and med school: "every day is complete agony."

It really, truly blows. There's no two ways about it. I hope you hear good news soon, and that goes for everyone on this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)

which ones are you waitlisted at?

Wow. I missed one day on SDN and banana got in. Had to scroll back 3 pages to figure out what the hell was going on!

Congrats!

Reactions: 13 users
This is so discouraging. There's been so much movement in past years.

I talked to my pre-health advisor the other day and he said it could be slow right now because the people that are in charge of admissions do a lot of work with helping with the graduation for the med school, etc.. I hope he's right but I kinda doubt that it would have that much of an effect....

This is so discouraging. There's been so much movement in past years.

I talked to my pre-health advisor the other day and he said it could be slow right now because the people that are in charge of admissions do a lot of work with helping with the graduation for the med school, etc.. I hope he's right but I kinda doubt that it would have that much of an effect....

Yep I'm right there with you

question for @gyngyn: if waitlist movement has been progressively less during the last 5 years, then how do the numbers add up? are number of interviews going up, or non-waitlist acceptances going up?

Gyngyn has said that it's because schools use software that enable them to interview people who are more likely to come to the school, which improves their yield and makes the waitlist acceptances decrease.

Reactions: 1 users
Gyngyn has said that it's because schools use software that enable them to interview people who are more likely to come to the school, which improves their yield and makes the waitlist acceptances decrease.
yes i remember that but lot of waitlist movement means that there is a lot of student shuffling between schools, right? now there is less shuffling, so less waitlist movement so does that mean more people get accepted right away or less people being interviewed?

yes i remember that but lot of waitlist movement means that there is a lot of student shuffling between schools, right? now there is less shuffling, so less waitlist movement so does that mean more people get accepted right away or less people being interviewed?

Schools can now analyze their data to focus interview offers on candidates most likely to matriculate. We can actually do fewer interviews if we are more efficient. The other important element is to offer a sufficient number of initial offers to fill but not overfill the class.
The theory about graduation does not hold much water, I'm afraid. Admissions deans and their staff often participate but that does not take them away from the day to day business of evaluating movement and making offers, if needed. Many schools have not hit their class size target yet, thus no waitlist movement.
As long as waitlist movement has started at your school of interest, it is likely to continue until orientation. The rate at which offers are made will depend on the number poached by other schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users

dark days indeed :(

Reactions: 3 users
Big week coming up for us guys. Let's keep the faith. Don't stop holding the door!

Reactions: 14 users
DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?
ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!

This is a bit late (and perhaps a bit creepy), but as someone who has lurked on SDN over the last year or so, I'm happiest to see you get in out of all the people I've quietly stalked! Congratulations!

Definitely rooting for everyone else in this thread too!

Reactions: 9 users
This is a bit late (and perhaps a bit creepy), but as someone who has lurked on SDN over the last year or so, I'm happiest to see you get in out of all the people I've quietly stalked! Congratulations!

Definitely rooting for everyone else in this thread too!
Thank you! I can't tell you how much I'm rooting for everyone on this thread.

I can tell you all that if I am ever in some position of power with medical school admissions, I will always look out the "little guy" who may not have as high a GPA or MCAT but who has a lot of heart and will make an excellent doctor.

Reactions: 12 users
Watching nearly everyone on this thread get their name called for months while I am still left behind is beyond depressing to my overall morale.

Reactions: 7 users
Watching nearly everyone on this thread get their name called for months while I am still left behind is beyond depressing to my overall morale.

Not me....still waiting on something that may not happen!

Reactions: 6 users
I was there for a long time. I know how hard it is to stay positive but I really do think it will work out for you.

I've barely seen movement at all 3 of my schools. I'm really starting to think its not happening...trying to stay positive but it's really hard when all I can think about every day is this situation

I've barely seen movement at all 3 of my schools. I'm really starting to think its not happening...trying to stay positive but it's really hard when all I can think about every day is this situation

Same, deep down I know it's not gonna happen this year for me. Been working on my new application since May 1st.

Same, deep down I know it's not gonna happen this year for me. Been working on my new application since May 1st.
That's exactly what you should be doing. Remember, the best way to make sure it doesn't rain is to wear a raincoat and bring an umbrella with you.