#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Texas system has a major advantage : that applying to one school is the same price as applying to them all. Yes, there is a match day on Feb 1. But then, students can still be offered wait list spots. And they can take their time to decide about those and hold onto several wait list offers. And the dates by which they can decide are kind of soft guidelines and not hard deadlines. They ask you to relinquish duplicate offers by April 30 (but some do not). The only hard deadline seems to be June 1, after which you can't get another offer if you already hold an admission. I am not complaining, because it is a great state to be a resident of. Just wanted to describe how it is in reality, and how that the Feb 1 match day can still keep you wondering until June 1 !
is it true that texas schools can only take 10% of their class from oos?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
well at least its almost monday..

Reactions: 5 users
We only have one Osteopathic medical school in Texas, and last year their class had 213 Texans and 17 out-of-state matriculants. You can apply there on the same TMDSAS application I believe.
i wonder if the oos students accepted are same range of stats as texas accepted students or they have higher stats. do you know anything about this?

day 37458374p9q4934 of waiting. lets do this.

Do you think I have a shot at getting in if I donate like half a billion Zimbabwean dollars? I mean, with the time it would take the check to clear and all that, I may already have started classes....

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So... I'm still not done with my personal statement, but AMCAS just got my transcript. I have that going for me, I guess?

Reactions: 3 users
So....any news today?

So... I'm still not done with my personal statement, but AMCAS just got my transcript. I have that going for me, I guess?
Don't worry. I'm a little behind too. I decided to get my backup plans in order first, so I haven't finished AMCAS yet either. And I've decided I'm not going to stress over the difference a week+ makes. What can u do? right? :shrug:
It's harder to get this done this time because I'm still on the WL--like I'm subconsciously still thinking I won't have to reapply. Lol. Time to snap out of it!

Reactions: 4 users
It seems like WL movement has slowed down a lot :(

Reactions: 8 users
It seems like WL movement has slowed down a lot :(

The forums seem quieter but I'm still rooting for everyone on here. If not now then definitely in the future.

Reactions: 12 users
Don't give up. Don't give up. DON'T GIVE UP.

We're totally fine, guys. Right? Haha... heh.... r-right??

Z93uwT.gif

Reactions: 18 users
The lists are still moving! That means I have a chance... right?

You know what gets me about being on the waitlist (coming from someone who has now been waitlisted for 2 consecutive years): you're technically "conditionally accepted". The committee deems you to be prepared for medical school, but someone happened to have slightly better credentials and was thus ranked ahead of you. So, even though I have been marked capable of handling the coursework, I just have to wait around for someone else to casually drop the seat; my future is hinged on someone saying, "Meh."

Being waitlisted feels like the ultimate, "Sorry, Johnny, I don't want to go to prom with you because Kevin might ask me."

*sigh* Damn you, Kevin.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 users
I was on 5 waitlists and just got my first acceptance this application cycle. I was losing hope and my sanity as I prepared for next year's application cycle, but then I got lucky with this WL acceptance. I hope my story will encourage someone out there!

Reactions: 31 users
I was on 5 waitlists and just got my first acceptance this application cycle. I was losing hope and my sanity as I prepared for next year's application cycle, but then I got lucky with this WL acceptance. I hope my story will encourage someone out there!

Congrats! Which school?

Still on 3 WL's patiently waiting to be able to go to medical school! It's especially discouraging when my interviews went so well.

Reactions: 8 users
You know what gets me about being on the waitlist (coming from someone who has now been waitlisted for 2 consecutive years): you're technically "conditionally accepted". The committee deems you to be prepared for medical school, but someone happened to have slightly better credentials and was thus ranked ahead of you. So, even though I have been marked capable of handling the coursework, I just have to wait around for someone else to casually drop the seat; my future is hinged on someone saying, "Meh."

Being waitlisted feels like the ultimate, "Sorry, Johnny, I don't want to go to prom with you because Kevin might ask me."

*sigh* Damn. you, Kevin.

with all due respect, ur on the waitlist because even tho u r well qualified statistically, u dont contribute enough to a schools so called "diversity" or u refused to kiss adcom butt.

Reactions: 1 user
with all due respect, ur on the waitlist because even tho u r well qualified statistically, u dont contribute enough to a schools so called "diversity" or u refused to kiss adcom butt.

Well, with all due respect in return, you don't know my file and thus aren't qualified to make that kind of judgement call.

Reactions: 20 users
Well, I'd like to think I'm pretty "diverse". But hey I'm waitlisted so how would I know lol

And how does one refuse to "kiss adcom butt"? Would it be intentionally using bad phone etiquette or something? Just curious. In case I need to change something I'm doing to get off of these blasted waitlists

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Well, I'd like to think I'm pretty "diverse". But hey I'm waitlisted so how would I know lol

And how does one refuse to "kiss adcom butt"? Would it be intentionally using bad phone etiquette or something? Just curious. In case I need to change something I'm doing to get off of these blasted waitlists

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably forgot to slowly slide them a $1 bill across the table.

Reactions: 11 users

Congrats!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Being on the waitlist instead of straight accepted could be due to something as simple as not smiling the right way at someone and putting some small ounce of doubt in one person's mind that happens to determine your future, honestly. Sometimes it seems like there is no rhyme or reason, it just happens. And it happens to very well qualified people.

And then I sit here reading articles about the doctor shortage in America projected for 2024 and get really sad that I'm watching all of you incredibly dedicated and qualified individuals sit there without acceptances. We need more medical schools to accommodate all of the qualified candidates.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 13 users
Well my school just sent an email saying they seated their class \o/

In celebration, is anyone willing to look at my PS? I'm like 80% there. I'm not feeling my conclusion, but everything else is almost there I think.. Just need to reword and shift stuff around. I want to submit by Monday (before it was the end of last week, but this is taking longer than I wanted) :(

In celebration, is anyone willing to look at my PS? I'm like 80% there. I'm not feeling my conclusion, but everything else is almost there I think.. Just need to reword and shift stuff around. I want to submit by Monday (before it was the end of last week, but this is taking longer than I wanted) :(
Aw that seriously sucks :( I can take a look at your PS if you'd like.

there's still a chance that someone might still bail at the last minute.

I can give your PS a look over.

Aw that seriously sucks :( I can take a look at your PS if you'd like.

I can give your PS a look over.

Man, this is why I love this thread you all are so amazing and supportive. Thank you guys and those that PMd me (not sure if you wanted recognition) again :)
Just fyi before you start judging, yeah I'm a pretty cookie cutter applicant; nothing too special, that's why it's kinda plain.