#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could I offer them up my soul.... or do they take that anyway?
I already sold my soul to my physical chemistry professor, so I'd have to broker a deal between the two parties.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
omg. pretty sure there will be some movements in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
That it is! We've got a few more days before July and I don't know about y'all, but I'm staying optimistic. I like June. June feels lucky.

I like June too. Not sure how I feel about July though...

Wishing us wait listers all the luck in the world. :luck:

You know, I never liked Monday's until this app cycle.

Reactions: 7 users
I like June too. Not sure how I feel about July though...

Wishing us wait listers all the luck in the world. :luck:

You know, I never liked Monday's until this app cycle.

Some of these weekends have been torturous.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I've let go off the fact that I'm one waitlist left and I'm gonna have to retake my MCAT and apply next upcoming cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
still here. just waiting, holding on. #lordalmighty

Reactions: 7 users
On another note: AACOMAS transcript entry is BRUTAL. The page starts lagging after you put in 2 years of classes ~.~

Reactions: 3 users
im pretty sure this is sdn telling me I've been in premed purgatoryland for too long
wY0QE2I.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I have a question.

Why does waitlist movement extend out this long and is there significant movement or are these just exceptions that are happening?

I would assume that after some sort of deadline, schools would just "lock-in" their classes. Do they ever add "unplanned" seats?

I have a question.

Why does waitlist movement extend out this long and is there significant movement or are these just exceptions that are happening?

I would assume that after some sort of deadline, schools would just "lock-in" their classes. Do they ever add "unplanned" seats?

At this point, waitlist movement most likely would come from students that have special cases where they can no longer attend this fall for whatever reason and end up deferring until next fall or they opt to go for DO school instead of MD school or vice versa (which I think this is probably more common for 'low' tier schools). And lastly the school can poach. Example for poaching, School A already accepted Steve. But now School B want Steve as well. Steve opt for School B, now there is a open seat for School A. Pretty much one open seat can potentially start a domino effect.

But I think for 'top' tier schools like Harvard, I would assume they would be 'lock-in' by now.

Reactions: 1 user
At this point, waitlist movement most likely would come from students that have special cases where they can no longer attend this fall for whatever reason and end up deferring until next fall or they opt to go for DO school instead of MD school or vice versa (which I think this is probably more common for 'low' tier schools). And lastly the school can poach. Example for poaching, School A already accepted Steve. But now School B want Steve as well. Steve opt for School B, now there is a open seat for School A. Pretty much one open seat can potentially start a domino effect.

But I think for 'top' tier schools like Harvard, I would assume they would be 'lock-in' by now.
Would seem like it. Oh well. On to plan B.

While everyone is waiting, anyone willing to share when they were complete by at most schools? I'm trying to figure out if being complete later in the cycle contributed to waitlist status :unsure:

While everyone is waiting, anyone willing to share when they were complete by at most schools? I'm trying to figure out if being complete later in the cycle contributed to waitlist status :unsure:
if you have borderline stats, i think applying early makes a big difference on how many interviews you get, but it shouldnt matter for the schools that actually interview you

if you have borderline stats, i think applying early makes a big difference on how many interviews you get, but it shouldnt matter for the schools that actually interview you

Unless you get a late interview, because there are a lot of schools that fill their classes as early as possible and then just interview for waitlist spots (I know for sure SUNY Upstate and Downstate both do that)

Reactions: 1 users
Unless you get a late interview, because there are a lot of schools that fill their classes as early as possible and then just interview for waitlist spots (I know for sure SUNY Upstate and Downstate both do that)

Well...that would explain a lot.

Well...that would explain a lot.

I'm not kidding my organization at my undergrad school hosted an information session from SUNY Upstate admissions and they literally admitted that their class is full super early and that they fill their class super early, by the end of February for sure if not earlier, usually earlier. The info session was in November and they said they had already sent all interview invitations that they were going to. They invited me in October and I couldn't get a spot until January, everything before that was full. And by the time I interviewed the class was full.

Personally I think that system is total crap but hey to each is own I guess

I'm not kidding my organization at my undergrad school hosted an information session from SUNY Upstate admissions and they literally admitted that their class is full super early and that they fill their class super early, by the end of February for sure if not earlier, usually earlier. The info session was in November and they said they had already sent all interview invitations that they were going to. They invited me in October and I couldn't get a spot until January, everything before that was full. And by the time I interviewed the class was full.

This is depressing. When were you complete by? And is suny your state school? Also would you mind sharing stats?

I am sympathetic to your situation. That said, even after the class is "full" every school has to continue interviewing to accommodate the odds that a significant number will go to other schools. Much of this is due to the fact that applicants can apply to an unlimited number of schools and many are admitted to several. Until this is addressed, the need to continue interviewing well past the number calculated to fill will continue. It's not just the SUNY's. We all have to do it.

Reactions: 6 users
I am sympathetic to your situation. That said, even after the class is "full" every school has to continue interviewing to accommodate the odds that a significant number will go to other schools. Much of this is due to the fact that applicants can apply to an unlimited number of schools and many are admitted to several. Until this is addressed, the need to continue interviewing well past the number calculated to fill will continue. It's not just the SUNY's. We all have to do it.

That's good to know schools aren't just doing it to waste our time! I used to be very confused by the whole "interviewing for a waitlist" notion.

This is depressing. When were you complete by? And is suny your state school? Also would you mind sharing stats?

I was complete pretty late...I think 9/7? I actually had my secondaries in all before I was complete (all done by early August). I got stuck waiting on my pre-health advisor to write my committee letter...he majorly dragged his feet but that's a whole separate issue entirely that I won't get into...sigh...

And yes, SUNY is State University of New York, but not all SUNYs do it that way, Buffalo will accept people outright even in April. I don't know about Stony Brook, the 4th (and most selective) SUNY.

As for stats, I had a 3.90 cGPA (with 3.88 sGPA) and a 30 MCAT.

Thankfully it's all water under the bridge now, regardless, because I was accepted to Albany off of the waitlist on 6/7! And I interviewed there on the second to last day of interviews believe it or not!

I get that and I totally understand why schools have to do that and look out for themselves, but it just really sucks for the applicants who spend so much time and money to travel to interview and then really not have a fair shot at acceptance. I almost wish they could advise you if you were interviewing for a waitlist spot so that you could make your decision...but I realize why it wouldn't be in the school's best interest to do that really

I get that and I totally understand why schools have to do that and look out for themselves, but it just really sucks for the applicants who spend so much time and money to travel to interview and then really not have a fair shot at acceptance. I almost wish they could advise you if you were interviewing for a waitlist spot so that you could make your decision...but I realize why it wouldn't be in the school's best interest to do that really

We don't even know when we are "interviewing for the waitlist," though!
Nobody wants to waste your money (or ours), but this is an unnecessarily wasteful "system" for which there is little enthusiasm for reform. It's a lot like the way we deliver medical care...

We don't even know when we are "interviewing for the waitlist," though!
Nobody wants to waste your money (or ours), but this is an unnecessarily wasteful "system" for which there is little enthusiasm for reform. It's a lot like the way we deliver medical care...
Gyngyn-- I am wondering why the AAMC cannot or would not move the filing deadline for primaries up (say September 1st) and instate a deadline for all secondaries. If chances of admission for applicants with anything but VERY impressive stats and profiles are dramatically reduced after late summer, why not get rid of the opportunity for the problem to arise in the first place? Shortening the application filing time frame would give the schools more time to look at the whole applicant pool before they have given up all the interviews that are likely to lead to acceptances (aka the earlier interviews).

Gyngyn-- I am wondering why the AAMC cannot or would not move the filing deadline for primaries up (say September 1st) and instate a deadline for all secondaries. If chances of admission for applicants with anything but VERY impressive stats and profiles are dramatically reduced after late summer, why not get rid of the opportunity for the problem to arise in the first place? Shortening the application filing time frame would give the schools more time to look at the whole applicant pool before they have given up all the interviews that are likely to lead to acceptances (aka the earlier interviews).
The AAMC has no jurisdiction over the way individual schools process applications. Many schools have a tradition of submitting committee letters late (e.g. Brown). The MCAT dates go all year now. The best real reform would be some form of limit on the total number of applications permitted. Something along the lines of: all IS publics plus 10, for example.

Reactions: 3 users

That is disappointing news...I also got invited October but didn't get an interview until February.

The AAMC has no jurisdiction over the way individual schools process applications. Many schools have a tradition of submitting committee letters late (e.g. Brown). The MCAT dates go all year now. The best real reform would be some form of limit on the total number of applications permitted. Something along the lines of: all IS publics plus 10, for example.

What I wonder though too is why can't every school adopt a system like some schools have, where they very conservatively accept all throughout the process and put a lot of people on the waitlist, thus doing a 1 for 1 match for their class and not filling it until the end of the interview season, and then any spots they have left over or from withdrawals of acceptances along the way, etc. can be filled from the waitlist. It just seems like a more reasonable system than over-accepting at first and then reaching an acceptance cap and only offering waitlist spots to candidates at that point, regardless of whether or not they are more promising than their previously accepted candidates.

That's just my two cents though. I agree that the system is certainly broken and very hard to fix!

What I wonder though too is why can't every school adopt a system like some schools have, where they very conservatively accept all throughout the process and put a lot of people on the waitlist, thus doing a 1 for 1 match for their class and not filling it until the end of the interview season, and then any spots they have left over or from withdrawals of acceptances along the way, etc. can be filled from the waitlist. It just seems like a more reasonable system than over-accepting at first and then reaching an acceptance cap and only offering waitlist spots to candidates at that point, regardless of whether or not they are more promising than their previously accepted candidates.

That's just my two cents though. I agree that the system is certainly broken and very hard to fix!

What I would like to see is schools actually screening the primary applications and sending you the secondary only if they are going to consider you. God only knows how many secondaries I sent in that immediately got tossed into the incinerator while they laughed all the way to the bank.

Reactions: 12 users
What I would like to see is schools actually screening the primary applications and sending you the secondary only if they are going to consider you. God only knows how many secondaries I sent in that immediately got tossed into the incinerator while they laughed all the way to the bank.

I 100% agree that they should pre-screen but most won't just because they then get your secondary app fee and why wouldn't they want more money

Personally, I'd like to see some hybrid of the TMDSAS system, limiting the number of schools, and some primary screening. I feel like that would probably solve most of the issues...except that they might not laugh on their way to the bank as much...

I 100% agree that they should pre-screen but most won't just because they then get your secondary app fee and why wouldn't they want more money

I wouldn't mind making the primaries slightly more expensive if it meant a more efficient and thorough vetting process that doesn't waste people's time.

This would not work outside of state schools with a single medical school.
The historic norms are a good predictor of the number needed to fill. Accepting only a half to a third (the class size) would result in a mad free for all of phone calls and emails on a single day instead of a controlled decompression.

I would happily go for free secondaries if the number of applications were limited. As it is now, the only disincentive to applying everywhere is the fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'd like to see some hybrid of the TMDSAS system, limiting the number of schools, and some primary screening. I feel like that would probably solve most of the issues...except that they might not laugh on their way to the bank as much...

The fees don't even go to the medical school much of time...

Where do they go?

the aamc of course.
Administrative fees often go to a central repository. If there is an undergrad associated with the medical school, they will go there to be used as discretionary funds.
Where I work, the only reason to have a secondary fee is increase, however slightly, the hesitation to apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly what happens at my school. So as an example, money sent to U MI might very well end up in the school of Art & Design.. University systems do a lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Administrative fees often go to a central repository. If there is an undergrad associated with the medical school, they will there to be used as discretionary funds.

the aamc of course.
I feel like the AAMC is a group of very old men who spend the whole day sitting in a dark, smoke-filled conference room around an obnoxiously long table discussing how to squeeze the most money out of medical school applicants.

I feel like the AAMC is a group of very old men who spend the whole day sitting in a dark, smoke-filled conference room around an obnoxiously long table discussing how to squeeze the most money out of medical school applicants.

I remember calling one of the admissions offices with a secondary question and one of the secretaries told me that they don't see a single cent of the primary application fees